Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Speaker stands...buy or DIY?  (Read 303 times)

Online heathen

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Speaker stands...buy or DIY?
« on: July 25, 2018, 12:26:27 PM »
I've got some new speakers on the way and they will require stands.  I don't have a ton of experience with bookshelf speakers, but these seem to me to be on the large side (20" high by 8"x14", 38 lbs.).  If anyone has any opinions about buying v. DIYing stands, or experience with making stands, I'd love to hear it.
Mics: Core Sound TetraMic | AT4031s | AT AE5100s | AT853s (C/SC) | Line Audio CM3s | DPA 4061s | CA-14 omnis | Studio Projects CS5
Pre: CA9200
Decks: Zoom F8 | Roland R-05

Offline goodcooker

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • goes to 11
Re: Speaker stands...buy or DIY?
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2018, 02:47:41 PM »
One of my friends used these with the included carpet spikes for his mix monitors. They were probably not that heavy (38 lbs is pretty heavy for a bookshelf speaker - my AR M2s are close that size but only weigh maybe 20 lbs) but they were kinda tall and these got the tweeters up at ear level which is what he wanted. He had them filled with sand or something to give more mass IIRC.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/253554-REG/Sanus_SF26B_SF26B_26_Steel_Foundations.html
Schoeps MK41 > nBob > PFA || MBHO KA300 > PFA
Aerco MP2 || RAD MS2
Marantz PMD706 || PMD620

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/goodcooker

"Are you the Zman?" - fan at Panic 10-08-10 Kansas City

"I don't know who left this perfectly good inflatable wook doll here, but if I'm blowing her up, I'm keeping her." -  hoppedup

Offline Ben Turnbull

• Don't ask me about Audacity...
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • A Clark Nova ate my lunch... Don't ask, just pee
Re: Speaker stands...buy or DIY?
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2018, 02:03:01 AM »
I made a pair that served to elevate but not sure how they did sonically.

I went to the big box lumber yard and bought 4 solid wood stool blanks... circular pine an inch by 12" diam. Then went to the plumbing department and bought two, 2 inch by 30 inch? threaded galvanized pipe and 4, 2 inch "base flanges"... 'used to know what those are called.  Ran to hardware and snagged 8 short lag screws and went home. I didn't want to have to cut anything so I just slapped it all together. I fell short of buying carpet spikes but those are out there I know. Sitting on a pile carpet they will be a little tipsy, but if you even put three "feet" under them that should be good.

I used them for my rear theatre speakers in a 5.1 system so they're likely short if you have a DAW application. Get creative if you need more elevation. They could be filled w/sand or lead shot if you wanted to get carried away. You could even paint them!
« Last Edit: July 28, 2018, 02:15:56 AM by Ben Turnbull »
Who came first, Dave King or Zack´╗┐ Galifianakis?...
-My name is Ben, and I'm an AQhaulic ranting hysterically in my dotage
Official Archivist for Jazz Central Studios, MinniMN
DPA4021/SKM140/NakCM1k/ADK A51s/Countryman B3/ATes943/SPc4/och... > TinyBox OT> PCM-M10/DR-680/R4/T+mod UA5 needs attention

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.137 seconds with 31 queries.
© 2002-2018 Taperssection.com