Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Recording hat  (Read 8540 times)

Offline ScotK

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Taperssection Regular
Re: Recording hat
« Reply #30 on: April 18, 2014, 09:06:15 AM »
I attended a show in New York once in a small venue, armed with my Kangol. I scoped out a good place, sat down, adjusted my gear and was ready to go. A few minutes later, I see some other guy walking down the aisle with the same hat. He looks around, eventually settles next to me and ... you guessed it ... pulls out his recorder to make the final adjustments.  Kinda like a secret handshake, although perhaps not so secret these days....

scot

Offline capnhook

• All your llamas are belong to us....
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • All your llamas are belong to us....
« Reply #31 on: April 18, 2014, 02:27:12 PM »
That's proof enough for me that you both knew where the sweet spot was......niiiiice
Proud member of the reality-based community

BSCS-L->JB-mod [NAK CM-300 (CP-3) and/or (CP-1)]->LSD2->CA CAFS-Omni->Sony ECM-907**Apogee MiniMe Rev. C->CA Ugly II->**Edirol OCM R-44->Tascam DR-22WL->Sony TCD-D8

"Don't ever take an all or nothing attitude when it comes to making a difference
and being beautiful and making the world a beautiful place through your actions.
Every little bit is registered.  Every little bit.  So be as beautiful as you can as often as you can"

"It'll never be over, 'till we learn."

"My dream is to get a bus and get the band and just go coast to coast. Just about everything else except music, is anti-musical.  That's it.  Music's the thing." - Jeb Puryear

Offline Taper Chris

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • wusupwitit?
    • what I've posted on archive
« Reply #32 on: April 24, 2014, 01:52:04 PM »
I use a modified version of this.  I wear it everywhere I go so no one ever gives me a second glance.  My cap reads $T3TH.  with the gold letters on hat style H13... I blend right in.

I had you pegged for this model hat, Ben Turnbull... Sure it wasn't this one?

aha
hahah
"The thing about choosing the lesser of two evils is that your still choosing evil." JG

Offline tapeheadtoo

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
    • My Dime stuff
« Reply #33 on: May 01, 2014, 10:39:17 PM »
Yes, prepare to feel (and look) like a complete and utter tool on your first outing. But trust me,  the pain and embarassment eases with each use thereafter. I now only feel a slight sting when donning the Kangol. And its worth it.

As a woman I feel even sillier wearing the Kangol.....
Mics: Schoeps MK4, DPA 4061, AT953
Preamps/BB: Nbox, tinybox, ST-9100, CA-UGLY, SP-SPSB-10
Recorder: Sony M10, Edirol R-09, Zoom H4n, Zoom H6, Tascam DR-2d
Video: Sony HDR-CX520V, Sony HX9V, Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS3, Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS100

Offline daspyknows

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Don't ask, don't tell, don't get get caught
« Reply #34 on: May 02, 2014, 10:23:44 AM »
I use a mesh truckers hat.  I look really goofy in a Kangol and I just have to be different  ;D  >:D

Offline lsd2525

• Eschew obfuscation
« Reply #35 on: May 02, 2014, 12:17:21 PM »
This thread is making me want to build a top hat with a couple of U89's in it lol.

I took a baseball cap years ago and punched a couple of small holes in the bottom part right above my ears to stick my CSB's through. Worked pretty good, but those things are tiny anyway. I like the way they sound, I just wish I could get a drunken-wookie filter mod for them.
Mics: KM184's; ADK A51s; AT4041; Line CM3; Superlux S502; CK91 active w/homebrew BB; AT853; Naiant X-X; Nak 300's
Recorders: M10; DR-60D; DR-70D

Offline tooldvn

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Music is the movement of sound to reach the soul.
« Reply #36 on: May 05, 2014, 04:28:26 PM »
This thread is making me want to build a top hat with a couple of U89's in it lol.

I took a baseball cap years ago and punched a couple of small holes in the bottom part right above my ears to stick my CSB's through. Worked pretty good, but those things are tiny anyway. I like the way they sound, I just wish I could get a drunken-wookie filter mod for them.

I considered this... a "Slash" style top hat, but I figured I'd get too many people that want to come up and talk about it,  make some sort of comment as they walk by, or worse, have someone flip the thing off my head.   
DPA 4061²  &  AKG 61/63

Offline ozone21clutch

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #37 on: May 19, 2014, 11:14:53 AM »
Just got this the other day and it seems to work fine. Wearing it backwards with ca-14's clipped inside. Added bonus to find a zippered stash pocket in the front/inside of the hat. Big enough I can stash the mics in, if needed.

http://www.nobadideas.com/collections/flexfit/products/carter

Offline OldNeumanntapr

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #38 on: May 20, 2014, 10:46:03 PM »
Nyquist omni sound hat ... ordinary baseball hat with grommets pressed/sewn into the temples. The omni capsules were permanently sealed into the hat with some sort of industrial silicone glue.

Here is a pic of the inside of the Nyquist hat.

ONT-

Offline Cobiwan

• Trade Count: (21)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #39 on: August 09, 2014, 02:33:56 PM »
Do you use a bar in the Kangol? If so is it attached to the hat? Do you use windscreens or no?
"Without music, life would be a mistake."
Friedrich Nietzsche

Mics:
2 matched pairs of Oktava MK-012 MSP6 with Bill Sitler mod + cardioid, hyper-cardioid, and omni capsules
Church Audio CA-14 omni/UBB
Sonic Studios DSM-6S
Recorders:
Tascam HD-P2, Tascam DR-680, Zoom F-8
Cables:
Gakables XLR, S/PDIF, battery and umbrella, DigiGal AES > S/PDIF, Darktrain hot swap battery

Member of DiGiHoArDeRs

Offline Gordon

• my list
« Reply #40 on: August 10, 2014, 02:26:44 PM »
I'm not an  >:D guy.  in fact I'v only done it twice.  once with ca rig in hat and once with my neumanns in hat.  neumanns was WAY to stressful.  it didn't help that the guy behind me kept asking me to take my hat off (it wasn't any bigger than most peoples ball caps) and threatening to fight me etc.  both times I just put the mics in a hat not really thinking about fabric getting in the way etc.  the one I used with the ca rig was much thinner and it came out great (but I looked ridiculous).

anyway I just picked up a ca11 rig for the one or two times a year I need it.  I'd prefer in a hat rather than clipped to a hat. I was just thinking about putting them in my baseball hat clipped together (sort of xy or pas) on top of my head.  Looking at my hat options they all have very thick/hard fabric on that portion of the hat.  I have one trucker hat that is a little thinner but still thick.  it's sort of "spongy" material so it may be better than the others.  I WILL NOT wear a kangol.  Maybe the ball cap looking one but it appears the vented part is only right above the brim.  is this correct?

A normal ball cap without the very thick/hard front will work better than one with the thick/hard part but I'm not sure if it would be good enough.  I can cut the holes a tiny bit but would prefer not to make them huge and thus noticeable.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2014, 02:38:55 PM by Gordon »
Neumann ak40 > Nick mod lc3 > Naiant PFA or km140 > Sound Devices MixPre-6

https://archive.org/details/fav-gordonlw

Offline waltmon

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #41 on: August 11, 2014, 04:33:41 PM »
Do you wear the Kangol backwards (logo fwd)?
KM140's, KM150's w/Nick modified PFA active cables, Mixpre-6, Oade Concert Mod 661mkII

CA-14 > UBB > Tascam DR-2D

1 pound non-sequencial $50.00 bills

Offline Jhurlbs81

• Reinvented, redefined, rearranged but not refined
    • My LMA collection
« Reply #42 on: August 11, 2014, 04:46:58 PM »
I wear mine forwards with the mk caps resting on the front bill and secured with a loop of elastic I sewed in..

adrianf74

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #43 on: August 11, 2014, 05:42:42 PM »
I wear mine forwards with the mk caps resting on the front bill and secured with a loop of elastic I sewed in..
Hmm... sounds vaguely familiar to me.   The logo facing forwards thing doesn't suit me at all but worn normally, it ain't half bad.

Offline Hank Mardukas

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #44 on: December 13, 2018, 12:18:31 PM »
Considering this method for MK4's.

Questions for anyone who has done this:

Does the hat fabric rubbing against the caps cause any problems?

Any tips or tricks for keeping the cable coming out of the hat discreet?
mk4 > nbob actives > babynbox > pcm-m10 (oade preamp mod)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.215 seconds with 42 queries.
© 2002-2019 Taperssection.com