Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Sony PCM-M10 (Part 8)  (Read 27750 times)

Offline RobS

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie

Offline adrianb

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
Re: Sony PCM-M10 (Part 8)
« Reply #151 on: September 03, 2016, 05:18:17 AM »
'Hate to side  track the M20 talk, but I've got a question about using the M10 as a MP3 player when traveling.
I've got a 16gb card in the slot and have renamed several folders with appropriate titles for the new contents that I drag and drop from my PC file structure to the M10. 

Occasionally, not every case, the files that are copied from PC > M10 will appear in order, but the last track will play first on the M10.  Very frustrating and I don't really know what I may be doing to promote this behavior.  Perhaps it's not a very reliable file structure.

Thanks for any comments

I use my M10 as a portable music player, and there is quite a few positive discussions about the audio quality of the device such as this here:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/456327/sony-pcm-m10-as-portable-player

Of course the main disadvantage is that it's a recording device, and not an audio player, and the file structure is arranged to play in order that the file was created. For some people the downside is outweighed by the advantage that you can play WAV files to a high standard, and it's less money than equivalent audio players.

I think the ordering can be solved by the order in which the files are saved onto your SD card.

I have some folders where the tracks play out of order, but it's usually something like tracks 5 to 12 and then 1 to 4. Easily solved by tracking through to start at 1.

Offline Ben Turnbull

• Don't ask me about Audacity...
  • Trade Count: (13)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • A Clark Nova ate my lunch... Don't ask, just pee
« Reply #152 on: September 03, 2016, 09:15:00 AM »
^ I usually take tracks that I cut straight out of CD wav so the creation order should be as originally cut.  Hummmmm
Thanks
Who came first, Dave King or Zack´╗┐ Galifianakis?...
-My name is Ben, and I'm an AQhaulic ranting hysterically in my dotage
Official Archivist for Jazz Central Studios, MinniMN
DPA4021/SKM140/NakCM1k/ADK A51s/ATes943/SPc4/och... > TinyBox OT> PCM-M10/DR-680/R4/T+mod UA5 needs attention

Offline vanark

• TDS
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • If you ain't right, you better get right!
    • The Mudboy Grotto - North Mississippi Allstar fan site
« Reply #153 on: September 03, 2016, 09:25:52 AM »
Sometimes, if you click the first file and then shift click the last one, the first one actually gets copies last. Try clicking the last file and then shift clicking the first one to highlight them all. They will probably copy in order. Maybe it is the time they were created on the microSD, not created originally. Just a guess.
If you have a problem relating to the Live Music Archive (http://www.archive.org/details/etree) please send an e-mail to us admins at etree(AT)archive(DOT)org or post in the LMA thread here and we'll get on it.

Link to LMA Recordings

Link to Team Dirty South Recordings on the LMA

Mics: AKG C480B/CK61, CK63 | Church Audio CA-11 (cards) (with CA UBB)
Pres: <empty>
Recorders: Tascam DR-60D | Sony PCM-M10

Offline Ben Turnbull

• Don't ask me about Audacity...
  • Trade Count: (13)
  • A Clark Nova ate my lunch... Don't ask, just pee
« Reply #154 on: September 03, 2016, 09:53:29 AM »
^ That sounds like something I might have done. I'll experiment w/that process.

In the mean time I found this on Head-Fi:

Another annoyance is that every folder is sorted by the date and time the file was written to the internal memory or to the flash card - it will not be sorted by folder name.  This is great for making and finding your recordings of various gigs, but not so great when you're trying to use the PCM-M10 as a DAP.  A solution to this problem is to periodically copy all of the files you've accumulated on a given flash card off to a folder on your PC, then use the PCM-M10 to format the flash card (while you're at it - just to refresh its sectors), then when you copy the whole lot of it back to the flash card, it will be displayed in the PCM-M10 in the sequence with which the files were added to the card.  Joy!
Who came first, Dave King or Zack´╗┐ Galifianakis?...
-My name is Ben, and I'm an AQhaulic ranting hysterically in my dotage
Official Archivist for Jazz Central Studios, MinniMN
DPA4021/SKM140/NakCM1k/ADK A51s/ATes943/SPc4/och... > TinyBox OT> PCM-M10/DR-680/R4/T+mod UA5 needs attention

Offline nulldogmas

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #155 on: September 03, 2016, 02:43:23 PM »

Offline pdastoor

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #156 on: September 21, 2016, 06:10:07 PM »
didn't want to start a new thread but is the M10 bigger than the Roland r-05

Offline morst

• Archivist: Camper Van Beethoven & Cracker
  • Get in touch if you wanna record Cracker or CVB!
    • Soundscape Preservation Society
« Reply #157 on: September 24, 2016, 01:12:06 AM »
Track naming OK with leading zeroes?

remember,

'Hate to side  track the M20 talk, but I've got a question about using the M10 as a MP3 player when traveling.
I've got a 16gb card in the slot and have renamed several folders with appropriate titles for the new contents that I drag and drop from my PC file structure to the M10. 

Occasionally, not every case, the files that are copied from PC > M10 will appear in order, but the last track will play first on the M10.  Very frustrating and I don't really know what I may be doing to promote this behavior.  Perhaps it's not a very reliable file structure.

Thanks for any comments
Teams: Neumann, Bay Area Tapers, Multitrack, Pioneertown Tapers, Mac Geeks, Cassette Masters, Poster Collectors, Alumni of teams St Louis, Upper Midwest & Milwaukee / Southern Wisco

Offline Bootleg Detroit

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #158 on: October 05, 2016, 10:49:07 PM »
I'm running my newly acquired DPA 4061's --> 9V BB --->  M10 for the first time -- for a couple of upcoming John Prine shows -- and wondering, LINE IN or MIC IN?  Thanks!
« Last Edit: October 05, 2016, 11:07:10 PM by Bootleg Detroit »

Offline dogmusic

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #159 on: October 06, 2016, 12:28:51 AM »
I'm running my newly acquired DPA 4061's --> 9V BB --->  M10 for the first time -- for a couple of upcoming John Prine shows -- and wondering, LINE IN or MIC IN?  Thanks!

I would use LINE IN.
"The ear is much more than a mere appendage on the side of the head." - Catherine Parker Anthony, Structure and Function of the Human Body (1972)

"That's metaphysically absurd, man! How can I know what you hear?" - Firesign Theatre

Offline mepaca

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • taperssection member
« Reply #160 on: October 06, 2016, 04:17:06 AM »
  I would use mic in. A battery box is not a preamplifier only a power supply. John Prine should not be overwhelmingly loud.

Offline nulldogmas

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #161 on: October 06, 2016, 09:12:34 AM »
  I would use mic in. A battery box is not a preamplifier only a power supply. John Prine should not be overwhelmingly loud.

If there's an opener, play with the gain settings for both and see which one sits in a more comfortable range. You'll probably be fine with either LINE IN with the gain cranked way up or MIC IN with the gain set lower. (I've never used 4061s, so can't speak to how sensitive they are.)

And, of course, be sure to record in 24-bit so that if you end up with a quieter recording, you have plenty of bits to play with when enloudening it later.

Online ilduclo

• Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #162 on: October 06, 2016, 09:56:15 AM »

I agree,  but use the LOW setting on the mic attenuation

Offline mepaca

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • taperssection member
« Reply #163 on: October 06, 2016, 06:25:44 PM »
yes, always use the low setting for mic input. The high setting is way too hot.

Offline Bootleg Detroit

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #164 on: October 06, 2016, 08:41:53 PM »
Thanks for all the input, I'm going to take advantage of the opening act and do a little experimenting, I will post my results!

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.262 seconds with 41 queries.
© 2002-2017 Taperssection.com