Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Sony PCM-M10 (Part 8)  (Read 27710 times)

Offline yug du nord

• uncleyug>Snowman>
  • Trade Count: (53)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • made with natural flavor
Re: Sony PCM-M10 (Part 8)
« Reply #165 on: October 06, 2016, 11:36:30 PM »
M10's preamps are pretty good....  IMO, go battery box > MIC input. 
Set your peak lights for -12...  set levels to try to keep em peaking in the green (as close as you can).  Even with 24 bit, do your best not to waste any bits.
From people smarter than me, the M10 is marketed as 24 bit....  but results are closer to 16 bits. 
Start with levels set at 4 or 5 on the dial...  and adjust accordingly.
Fantastic little deck!!!

........I think I met you once years ago at Toyota Park Phish maybe??  You told me that you used to run B&K's maybe??
Make great tapes man!!!
.....got a blank space where my mind should be.....

Offline morst

• Archivist: Camper Van Beethoven & Cracker
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Get in touch if you wanna record Cracker or CVB!
    • Soundscape Preservation Society
« Reply #166 on: October 07, 2016, 04:10:38 AM »
Wanna check your levels with nobody else around? Try hollering a few feet away from your setup... you know, the way folks will at a John Prine show?! That oughtta be louder than the music, unless you set your mics next to the main PA stacks.
Teams: Neumann, Bay Area Tapers, Multitrack, Pioneertown Tapers, Mac Geeks, Cassette Masters, Poster Collectors, Alumni of teams St Louis, Upper Midwest & Milwaukee / Southern Wisco

Offline Bootleg Detroit

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #167 on: October 07, 2016, 02:14:11 PM »
Wanna check your levels with nobody else around? Try hollering a few feet away from your setup... you know, the way folks will at a John Prine show?! That oughtta be louder than the music, unless you set your mics next to the main PA stacks.
Funny, but true! Good idea!

Offline Bootleg Detroit

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #168 on: October 07, 2016, 02:19:45 PM »
M10's preamps are pretty good....  IMO, go battery box > MIC input. 
Set your peak lights for -12...  set levels to try to keep em peaking in the green (as close as you can).  Even with 24 bit, do your best not to waste any bits.
From people smarter than me, the M10 is marketed as 24 bit....  but results are closer to 16 bits. 
Start with levels set at 4 or 5 on the dial...  and adjust accordingly.
Fantastic little deck!!!

........I think I met you once years ago at Toyota Park Phish maybe??  You told me that you used to run B&K's maybe??
Make great tapes man!!!

Yup, that was me. Good memory. Used to run the B&K 4011's back in the day, LOVED those mics, made some great pulls with 'em!
I've been out of the game for quite some time and not up to speed with current technology, so thanks for the suggestions!

Offline spyder9

• Trade Count: (57)
  • fahgeddaboudit
    • My Archived shows
« Reply #169 on: October 11, 2016, 02:25:03 PM »
Our beloved recorder has been discontinued by Sony.    :alert:

B&H shows it as so.  Sony has removed from its product page. 

An end of an era:  one of the greatest portable recorders of all time.

:bawling:

https://pro.sony.com/bbsc/ssr/cat-audio/cat-recorders/

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1194582-REG/sony_sony_pcm_m10_portable_audio.html

Offline udovdh

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #170 on: October 13, 2016, 09:18:06 AM »
one of the greatest portable recorders of all time.
That is why I got an extra one despite my idol being dead now.

Offline jerzysobski

• Taperssection Newbie
    • Youtube Channel
« Reply #171 on: October 13, 2016, 06:53:41 PM »
Has sony replaced this model with a newer one? If so what did they replace it with?

Audio: Ipod with Shure MV88;   Iphone with Rode i-xy;   TASCM DR22wl

Video: Sony RX100 m3;  Sony Rx100 m4

Software:
Adobe Premiere CS,   MAGIX Audio & Music Lab 2016 Premium,  SolveigMM Video Splitter Home Edition,  FrameShots

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (26)
« Reply #172 on: October 13, 2016, 10:01:40 PM »
Has sony replaced this model with a newer one? If so what did they replace it with?

Not really.  The only small music-focused recorder they make right now is the PCM-D100 which is far more expensive at ~$800, which IMO is far too high a price for what it does.

They still make their voice recorder line, but those don't have the recording capabilities of the M10 and similar devices.

The new Tascam DR-100 mkIII is what I'd buy if I needed something like the M10 right now.
DPA 4061 | Line Audio CM3 | Naiant X-Q
Naiant PFAs | Shure FP24
Tascam DR-70D JWMod | Sony PCM-M10

Tascam DR-70D FAQ
Team Line Audio
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.    ///    If a composer could say what he had to say in words he would not bother trying to say it in music.
- Gustav Mahler

Offline terabyte23

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #173 on: October 14, 2016, 06:57:25 PM »
The power switch on my M10 is sticking.  You know how you pull it down to power on the unit, then let it snap back to the middle position?  Mine just stays stuck in the down position.  Anyone else experience this problem, and have a fix for it?
AKG ck61/ck63 > Naiant couplings > Naiant Tinybox > M10
CA-14 cards/omnis > SP-SPSB-8 > M10

Offline Perry

• Site Supporter
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #174 on: October 14, 2016, 10:06:13 PM »
There's likely gunk behind the slider (pocket lint, stale beer, etc.). Try blasting it with electrical contact cleaner. Just don't use the stuff with added lubricants. :cheers:
"It hurts to lean back in handcuffs..."
^^~~~~~~~Todd Snider~~~~~~~^^

Offline PaulCayard

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #175 on: October 16, 2016, 11:02:51 AM »
The new Tascam DR-100 mkIII is what I'd buy if I needed something like the M10 right now.
But new Tascam DR-100 mkIII has 2 XLR input instead of a 3.5mm plug like M10  :'(
Mics: AT853 (SC/C/H), AT U853 (C/H)
Power: CA-9200, CA-UBB
Recorder: Sony M10, Roland R-05

Offline dogmusic

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #176 on: October 16, 2016, 11:23:38 AM »
But new Tascam DR-100 mkIII has 2 XLR input instead of a 3.5mm plug like M10  :'(

The Tascam DR-100 mkIII also has a 3.5mm input as well as the 2 XLR inputs. The 3.5mm EXT IN jack on the top of the recorder will supply plug-in power just like the M10.
"The ear is much more than a mere appendage on the side of the head." - Catherine Parker Anthony, Structure and Function of the Human Body (1972)

"That's metaphysically absurd, man! How can I know what you hear?" - Firesign Theatre

Offline PaulCayard

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #177 on: October 16, 2016, 02:22:03 PM »
The Tascam DR-100 mkIII also has a 3.5mm input as well as the 2 XLR inputs. The 3.5mm EXT IN jack on the top of the recorder will supply plug-in power just like the M10.
I was wrong, I'm very sorry  :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[

Thanks for your clarification  :)
Mics: AT853 (SC/C/H), AT U853 (C/H)
Power: CA-9200, CA-UBB
Recorder: Sony M10, Roland R-05

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #178 on: October 16, 2016, 06:27:26 PM »
The DR-100 mkIII is a lot larger than the M10, so it might not be a good replacement option for some. I don't have any personal experience, but the R-05 seems to be pretty popular and I know several people who think highly of the small Olympus recorders, so maybe those would be good substitutes. And maybe Sony will introduce a replacement. I think the M10 sold pretty well, so you would think they wouldn't completely abandon that market...

Offline Fried Chicken Boy

• Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #179 on: October 18, 2016, 07:27:07 PM »
... the [Roland] R-05 seems to be pretty popular and I know several people who think highly of the small Olympus recorders, so maybe those would be good substitutes.

The R-05 gets my vote for heir alternative to the M10 throne.  Doesn't have the astounding battery life of the Sony but you should be good for about a day of festival taping.  The R-05 might actually be slightly smaller overall and the specs are just about the same as the M10.  In nearly 5 years, mine hasn't given me so much as a hiccup of trouble.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.276 seconds with 41 queries.
© 2002-2017 Taperssection.com