Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Sony PCM-M10 (Part 8)  (Read 63441 times)

Offline gmm6797

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Schoeps MK4 > nBoxPlat > Sony M10/SD 722
    • Homepage
Re: Sony PCM-M10 (Part 8)
« Reply #285 on: April 25, 2019, 01:02:01 PM »
mine did

Yep, 3v

I will have to see if I can find the box now LOL
Thanks

Offline unidentified

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #286 on: April 25, 2019, 10:53:13 PM »
FWIW, my M10 wont save the time from power up to power up.... even with fresh batteries left in the unit for an hour or two.

Are these units dying a slow death after many years of use and abuse?

I would recommend leaving it on for a while, not force it off. I seem to remember there is an internal battery that loses it' charge after a while in the off position.

True that. I never turn mine off. I let them both go to sleep mode indefinitely while I store them. That said, I use them often enough that they never seem to sleep for more than a week or two at a time.

Offline cavekelly

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #287 on: April 28, 2019, 06:03:22 PM »
Please HELP:  My M-10 will not turn on.  What is the  go to repair option?

Offline jerryfreak

• Trade Count: (27)
  • I'm a llama! (taboot)
« Reply #288 on: April 28, 2019, 07:00:43 PM »
mine did

Yep, 3v

I will have to see if I can find the box now LOL
Thanks
mine got stolen i know i have the box and manuals and prob have the wallwart. if someone can take a pic of it ill look for it
in:
small: MK4/4V > CMR > V3 or J.Williams Mod MicMan Jr or no pre at all >AD2K/R07/PCM-A10/Oade Warm 661/DR100-MKIII

smaller: 4061/4099 CORE or 4011/4018V> d:vice MMA

out:
home:Benchmark DAC1 HDR > Dynaudio BM15A active monitors
shop: Musical Fidelity VLink 192 Asynchronyous> coax> DAC1 > Rokit RP8 active monitors

Offline gmm6797

• Homepage
« Reply #289 on: April 28, 2019, 09:31:57 PM »
I would recommend leaving it on for a while, not force it off. I seem to remember there is an internal battery that loses it' charge after a while in the off position.

FWIW, I put 2 new NiMh batteries into mine, turned it on, and periodically hit the stop button to see if it is still on.... 24 hours later, pulled the batteries, waited a minute, put them back in, and tht clock was still set.
I am going to leave it like this for a few days and see what happens.
But thank you for the help!
« Last Edit: April 29, 2019, 07:34:06 AM by gmm6797 »

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #290 on: April 28, 2019, 09:42:21 PM »
try plugging it in with the wall wart. Might have an internal battery that holds the clock and the settings. Just a guess ???
it 100% has an internal battery that does the date and time
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

Offline morst

• Trade Count: (2)
  • ISO ALL archival Cracker / CVB / Monks Of Doom etc
    • Soundscape Preservation Society
« Reply #291 on: May 11, 2019, 03:50:07 PM »
Could it be that the unit is coming on and just the display is shot? I guess that's as bad as having a dead deck
Nope, these things work ok without the display. You can tell peak levels with the red and green peak lights, and if you have a second M10 handy, then you can still operate the menus blind. I have one with a cracked screen that only shows backlight and I've made good recordings on it regularly since it broke. I bought the replacement part, but lost it, and now can't get another!! d'oh!
Teams: Neumann, Bay Area Tapers, Multitrack, Pioneertown Tapers, Mac Geeks, Cassette Masters, Poster Collectors, Alumni of teams St Louis, Upper Midwest & Milwaukee / Southern Wisco

Offline gmm6797

• Homepage
« Reply #292 on: May 11, 2019, 04:45:19 PM »
try plugging it in with the wall wart. Might have an internal battery that holds the clock and the settings. Just a guess ???
it 100% has an internal battery that does the date and time
just over 1.5 weeks with 2 AA batteries in, powered on (though the display kept timing out) and the internal battery seems to be good again... taking out the batteries didnt wipe the date and time :)
Thanks

Offline jb63

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • Taperssection Member
  • if not now when?
« Reply #293 on: May 15, 2019, 12:14:58 PM »
Here's a quick M10 question.
Saw this on a recent tool tape:

Source: Schoeps MK41 > nbob KCY > babyNbox > Sony PCM-M10 (Oade preamp mod) (24bit, 96kHz)

When did Oade mod these, and what mod was it? Is there any way to get the noise floor down as low as the Concert modded PMD-620?

Thanks!
this is definitely not normal

Offline Sevoflurane

• Site Supporter
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #294 on: May 16, 2019, 08:11:42 AM »
Here's a quick M10 question.
Saw this on a recent tool tape:

Source: Schoeps MK41 > nbob KCY > babyNbox > Sony PCM-M10 (Oade preamp mod) (24bit, 96kHz)

When did Oade mod these, and what mod was it? Is there any way to get the noise floor down as low as the Concert modded PMD-620?

Thanks!

I saw that too and I am very interested. Wondering when they do that could they also fix my hold button? It's really sticky and sometimes will stay in the power off position. Always wanted to fix that. Anyone know how?
Mics: Schoeps MK4s, AT853 (4.7k mod)
Pre: Naiant IPA v1.0
Recorders: M10, A10, TCD-D8
Transfers: Nakamichi CR-3A, Tascam DA-20

Offline jb63

• Site Supporter
  • Taperssection Member
  • if not now when?
« Reply #295 on: May 16, 2019, 12:47:27 PM »
I used to tape the switches on the back because they were TOO easy to move!

Offline Sevoflurane

• Site Supporter
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #296 on: May 16, 2019, 01:42:34 PM »
I used to tape the switches on the back because they were TOO easy to move!

I actually just super glued those into place. I have never had to change those settings.
Mics: Schoeps MK4s, AT853 (4.7k mod)
Pre: Naiant IPA v1.0
Recorders: M10, A10, TCD-D8
Transfers: Nakamichi CR-3A, Tascam DA-20

Offline gmm6797

• Homepage
« Reply #297 on: May 16, 2019, 01:47:49 PM »
I saw that too and I am very interested. Wondering when they do that could they also fix my hold button? It's really sticky and sometimes will stay in the power off position. Always wanted to fix that. Anyone know how?

https://www.oade.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=19&products_id=185
The Sony PCM-M10 Audiophile MOD bypasses the input selector IC and replaces the preamp chip which limits dynamic range to 80dB. The preamp is upgraded using a state of the art op amp with a dynamic range of 127dB. The sound quality is also improved, the upgrade removes a hazy quality allowing the signal to sound more present. This upgrade removes the built in microphones.
Price includes return shipping and insurance in the 48 states.

My input jack is making crackle sounds, I wonder if this is worth it or if I just buy a new A10 or D10.... thoughts?

Offline jb63

• Site Supporter
  • Taperssection Member
  • if not now when?
« Reply #298 on: May 16, 2019, 02:07:55 PM »

https://www.oade.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=19&products_id=185
The Sony PCM-M10 Audiophile MOD bypasses the input selector IC and replaces the preamp chip which limits dynamic range to 80dB. The preamp is upgraded using a state of the art op amp with a dynamic range of 127dB. The sound quality is also improved, the upgrade removes a hazy quality allowing the signal to sound more present. This upgrade removes the built in microphones.
Price includes return shipping and insurance in the 48 states.

My input jack is making crackle sounds, I wonder if this is worth it or if I just buy a new A10 or D10.... thoughts?

They could replace the input jack while its open for the mod, shouldn't be too expensive. I always wanted something locking like this:

http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=166841.0;all

but that seems a little overboard.

I guess the basic question is whether you need the plug-in power or are running line in. I can't tell from that description whether it will affect both mic and line inputs. The PMD620 description is much more clear.

https://www.oade.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=19&products_id=91&zenid=h146a03k3kg5rk6ihaqhtlvmh0
"The PMD 620MKII Concert rebuilds the PMD 620MKII mic preamp with a low noise, very low distortion and high slew rate op amp that dramatically enhances detail and clarity while lowering noise and audible distortions. This upgrade also improves the line input circuit. The built in mics are removed to maximize microphone input quality, all other features remain intact. Concert MOD parts are selected by ear to optimize the PMD 620MKII for recording music. "

I guess the next question is whether the 2 modifications produce a similar low noise floor and clarity, or if one is better than the other! I really REALLY miss the input dial on the m10 whenever I use the PMD620. You have to be really familiar with the SPL level of a setting when taping on the fly with the 620 because of its input settings, and with the M10, you just turn the dial till it sounds right!

Offline gmm6797

• Homepage
« Reply #299 on: May 16, 2019, 02:21:28 PM »
I am nBox to Line-In, so I dont care how to get around the input jack or a repair.... as long as I can get the nbox output captured
I only have used the mics once, when i could not get anything bigger past security (small venue and good security this one time)... the mics are basically useless to me

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.119 seconds with 56 queries.
© 2002-2019 Taperssection.com