Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Sony PCM-M10 (Part 8)  (Read 57875 times)

Offline dyneq

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: Sony PCM-M10 (Part 8)
« Reply #315 on: June 01, 2019, 07:01:38 PM »
Has anyone else had any issues with the mic input and Neutrik plugs?

I run CA14 > CA-UBB > M10. The UBB has a right-angle Neutrik output. After plugging in, if the plug is pressed inward slightly (toward the unit), the right channel will drop out completely. If I release pressure, the channel comes back. It's less than ideal for the way I roll and has ruined a couple of recordings.

I have made sure that everything is very clean, so I'm confident that's not it.

I did plug the CA14 directly in to the mic input and gentle twisting and pushing toward the unit does not cause any issues (it's a straight REAN plug), so it's most likely not the M10.

I'm open to any ideas for further testing and/or possible causes.

Offline swordfish

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #316 on: June 02, 2019, 06:54:30 AM »
Has anyone else had any issues with the mic input and Neutrik plugs?

I run CA14 > CA-UBB > M10. The UBB has a right-angle Neutrik output. After plugging in, if the plug is pressed inward slightly (toward the unit), the right channel will drop out completely. If I release pressure, the channel comes back. It's less than ideal for the way I roll and has ruined a couple of recordings.

I have made sure that everything is very clean, so I'm confident that's not it.

I did plug the CA14 directly in to the mic input and gentle twisting and pushing toward the unit does not cause any issues (it's a straight REAN plug), so it's most likely not the M10.

I'm open to any ideas for further testing and/or possible causes.

If I use a right angle plug with any of my recordes I tape a piece of strong foamed plastic underneath the horizontal part of the plug.  Just to avoid the stress to the cable/plug/jack you  described above.

Offline dyneq

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #317 on: June 02, 2019, 09:01:07 AM »
That's a good idea, thanks.

I took the plug apart and looked at it with a magnifier. The solder joints look poorly done; I can see a crack in the solder joint for the ring (right channel) connection. I have another BB that works fine, so it's definitely not the M10.

Offline unidentified

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #318 on: June 02, 2019, 09:53:14 AM »
To relieve the strain, you might want to run a short cable (non right angle at one or both ends) between the M10's input and the plug from the UBB. 

Offline dyneq

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #319 on: June 03, 2019, 12:12:34 AM »
Also a great idea. My kid, who is studying electrical engineering, is going to bring his soldering setup over to help me out. I'm going to use a brand new plug.

Since this has nothing to do with the M10, back to the regularly scheduled programming!

Offline mrfender

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #320 on: June 17, 2019, 07:47:39 PM »
So I just noticed that when recording to the SD card, my unit will start glitching, jumping and skipping recording when it gets near the end limit of the first recording file and also at the start of the second file. It's like trying to listen to a scratched CD where it jumps and stops playing for a beat.  Any idea if this is a recorder or card issue?  (SanDisk Extreme 16 gig)
« Last Edit: June 17, 2019, 07:52:24 PM by mrfender »
DR-01, DR-05, DR-22wl, PCM-M10
CA-11& CA-14 omnis, CA-14 cards

Offline Sevoflurane

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #321 on: June 17, 2019, 08:16:02 PM »
So I just noticed that when recording to the SD card, my unit will start glitching, jumping and skipping recording when it gets near the end limit of the first recording file and also at the start of the second file. It's like trying to listen to a scratched CD where it jumps and stops playing for a beat.  Any idea if this is a recorder or card issue?  (SanDisk Extreme 16 gig)

Possibly reformat the card to see if that will alleviate the issue?
Mics: Schoeps MK4s, AT853 (4.7k mod)
Pre: Naiant IPA v1.0
Recorders: M10, A10, TCD-D8
Transfers: Nakamichi CR-3A, Tascam DA-20

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.151 seconds with 34 queries.
© 2002-2019 Taperssection.com