Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Best 9v rechargeable setup?  (Read 50175 times)

Offline MakersMarc

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • 😈
Best 9v rechargeable setup?
« on: October 20, 2015, 09:55:00 AM »
For an nbox?
😈 Mk4v/41v>nbob actives>Baby nbox>Oade warm mod Marantz 620.

Open: 4v/41v>nbobs>Nicky mod Naiant PFA>Oade warm mod 661.

Home: the Stereo Hospital budget refurb rig: Lappie>DragonFly Cobalt/Red with Jitterbug>Nikko NR520/Sansui 221>B&W V202 speakers.

Offline tim in jersey

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
Re: Best 9v rechargeable setup?
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2015, 10:06:27 AM »
These were suggested to me by a longtime nbox owner/user. Has worked great thus far...

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=883815&gclid=CKyss97W-cQCFe1j7AodiwsAag&Q=&is=REG&A=details

Offline MakersMarc

• 😈
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2015, 11:20:26 AM »
Thanks Tim

Home: the Stereo Hospital budget refurb rig: Lappie>DragonFly Cobalt/Red with Jitterbug>Nikko NR520/Sansui 221>B&W V202 speakers.

Offline hi and lo

• Trade Count: (38)
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2015, 12:31:16 PM »
The NiMH Imedion 9v's are excellent rechargeable batteries. Just make sure you get the 9.6v version for use with the nbox.

However, you need to be careful not to over-discharge them. The original nbox / reutelhuber uses a high current design, ~50 mA draw each from the two batteries powering the opamps, and does not have a low-voltage cutoff mechanism. As a result, it will easily discharge these batteries to < 1 v total, which is terrible for their longevity. Each 9.6v battery is comprised of 8 1.2v cells in series, so dropping the total voltage to < 1v is effectively lowering the voltage to ~.1 v per cell. Generally speaking, it is not a good practice to discharge a NiMH cell below .9v, so draining it down to .1v is about as bad as it gets.

I have 16 of these... The original 8 I bought 3-4 years ago have served me well, however I am now starting to see failures from over draining them. Some of the batteries now show physical changes (bulges, indents, etc.), but still seem to take a charge ok. Others are now completely dead and will not accept a charge.

If you're using the nbox platinum, the risk of over discharge is basically non-existent, unless you left them in the unit while turned on for several days / weeks. I doubt that they have added a low-voltage cutoff circuit. In comparison, the original nbox will discharge them to < 1v total in ~6 hours.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2015, 12:40:49 PM by hi and lo »

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2015, 01:09:44 PM »
The Maha Imedion 9.6V is a Low-Self-Discharge version of the standard Maha 9.6V.  I feel LSD NiMH are advantageous and strongly prefer them, even though they have a bit less total capacity than the standard version.  I'm not an nbox user however and have no idea of the specifics of that application, but am just posting to note that you will need to use the correct 9.6V charger for them.  A charger designed for nominal 9V NiMH batteries (which actually measure a bit less than 9V) will not charge them properly.  The simple 4-bay Maha chargers for their 9.6Vs have worked well IME and can be powered by  either an 120VAC or 12VDC source.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline MakersMarc

• 😈
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2015, 01:53:27 PM »
Thanks a ton for all the info guys,

Offline robeti

• Trade Count: (39)
  • Taperssection Member
mics schoeps mk22/mk4/mk41 (matched) | nakamichi cm-300 (JB mod/cp1/cp2/cp3) | nakamichi cm-50 | primo em4052pmi4's | sp-cmc-4u/at-853 4.7k mod (shotguns/h/c/sc/o) | ca-11 c/o
power ca-ubb | ca-9200 | nbob actives > baby nbox | schoeps cmbi (pair)
recorder roland r-05 
video panasonic zs100 | panasonic hdc-sd600 | sony hx9v | sony hx50v | samsung s23 ultra
playback fiio m17 > final d8000

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2015, 02:52:53 PM »
^^^
That Amazon link is to the Powerex non-LSD version of the 9.6V (white case with yellow lettering).
The Imedion LSD version of the 9.6V has a black case with grey lettering. 

Both are manufactured by Maha.

Here's the specifics on the Imedion version at Thompson Distributing- http://www.thomasdistributing.com/Maha-Imedion-9V-96V-230-mAh-Low-Discharge-NIMH-Rechargeable-Battery_p_2455.html

Here's their package of charger + 3 Imedions, otherwise same as the Amazon deal- http://www.thomasdistributing.com/MAHA-MH-C490F-9-Volt-9V-Battery-Charger-with-Three-Maha-Imedion-96V-230-mAh-Batteries-with-World-Adapter-and-12V-Cord_p_851.html
« Last Edit: October 20, 2015, 03:03:11 PM by Gutbucket »
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline tim in jersey

• Site Supporter
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2015, 02:18:22 AM »
The NiMH Imedion 9v's are excellent rechargeable batteries. Just make sure you get the 9.6v version for use with the nbox.

However, you need to be careful not to over-discharge them. The original nbox / reutelhuber uses a high current design, ~50 mA draw each from the two batteries powering the opamps, and does not have a low-voltage cutoff mechanism. As a result, it will easily discharge these batteries to < 1 v total, which is terrible for their longevity. Each 9.6v battery is comprised of 8 1.2v cells in series, so dropping the total voltage to < 1v is effectively lowering the voltage to ~.1 v per cell. Generally speaking, it is not a good practice to discharge a NiMH cell below .9v, so draining it down to .1v is about as bad as it gets.

I have 16 of these... The original 8 I bought 3-4 years ago have served me well, however I am now starting to see failures from over draining them. Some of the batteries now show physical changes (bulges, indents, etc.), but still seem to take a charge ok. Others are now completely dead and will not accept a charge.

If you're using the nbox platinum, the risk of over discharge is basically non-existent, unless you left them in the unit while turned on for several days / weeks. I doubt that they have added a low-voltage cutoff circuit. In comparison, the original nbox will discharge them to < 1v total in ~6 hours.

^ This is why I love ts.com. Ask a simple question and you get a detailed, technical answer, broken down in to laymans terms, which helps me further my understanding of electronics in general as well as the specific gear I'm running. Love this board. :)

Offline tim in jersey

• Site Supporter
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2015, 02:31:39 AM »
Also I'm going to upgrade from the N-box to the N-box platinum by next year so I don't have to count/do math in the field during festival season. 1 set of batteries per day without worry sounds like a dream...

Not having to change batteries in the rain for an entire fest set sounds like a dream come true...

Offline robeti

• Trade Count: (39)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2015, 02:20:34 PM »
^^^
That Amazon link is to the Powerex non-LSD version of the 9.6V (white case with yellow lettering).
The Imedion LSD version of the 9.6V has a black case with grey lettering. 

Both are manufactured by Maha.

Here's the specifics on the Imedion version at Thompson Distributing- http://www.thomasdistributing.com/Maha-Imedion-9V-96V-230-mAh-Low-Discharge-NIMH-Rechargeable-Battery_p_2455.html

Here's their package of charger + 3 Imedions, otherwise same as the Amazon deal- http://www.thomasdistributing.com/MAHA-MH-C490F-9-Volt-9V-Battery-Charger-with-Three-Maha-Imedion-96V-230-mAh-Batteries-with-World-Adapter-and-12V-Cord_p_851.html

Thanks! I wasn't aware of that! I have both the white/yellow + black batteries. Never had a problem with any of them.
mics schoeps mk22/mk4/mk41 (matched) | nakamichi cm-300 (JB mod/cp1/cp2/cp3) | nakamichi cm-50 | primo em4052pmi4's | sp-cmc-4u/at-853 4.7k mod (shotguns/h/c/sc/o) | ca-11 c/o
power ca-ubb | ca-9200 | nbob actives > baby nbox | schoeps cmbi (pair)
recorder roland r-05 
video panasonic zs100 | panasonic hdc-sd600 | sony hx9v | sony hx50v | samsung s23 ultra
playback fiio m17 > final d8000

Offline Jhurlbs81

• Trade Count: (20)
    • My LMA collection
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2015, 08:45:04 AM »
Does anyone use rechargeable 9v's in a lemosax?

FREE JERRYFREAK!

Offline hi and lo

• Trade Count: (38)
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2015, 03:49:57 PM »
Does anyone use rechargeable 9v's in a lemosax?

Yes, works fine.

Offline Craig T

• Trade Count: (10)
    • LMA
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2015, 04:41:15 PM »
Also I'm going to upgrade from the N-box to the N-box platinum by next year so I don't have to count/do math in the field during festival season. 1 set of batteries per day without worry sounds like a dream...

Not having to change batteries in the rain for an entire fest set sounds like a dream come true...

Yes.  The plat. version makes it a breeze to record festivals.  Nbox-P > M10... set it and forget it all day.
Schoeps cmc6/4v / Line Audio CM3, OM1 / ADK A51 / Church Audio CA-14
Naiant Tinybox v2.2 / NBox(P) / Apogee Mini-MP / Church Audio ST9200 / CA-UGLY
Sony PCM-M10 / Tascam DR-70D

Offline MakersMarc

• 😈
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2015, 01:17:25 PM »
Thanks for the gold guys, most appreciated.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.074 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com