Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Tascam DR-701D [Part 1]  (Read 20983 times)

Offline billydee

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: Tascam DR-701D [Part 1]
« Reply #60 on: June 14, 2019, 01:28:34 PM »
I ran Adrian's old 701 for the first time last night, out of necessity and without boning up on the manual. I had the mix disabled; however, the deck was still showing levels for 5-6? Is this normal?
I've only used my 701D twice now but that's how it worked for me, I could see the levels for channels 5-6 even though I had them turned off.

Offline lsd2525

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Eschew obfuscation
« Reply #61 on: June 14, 2019, 03:44:18 PM »
I ran Adrian's old 701 for the first time last night, out of necessity and without boning up on the manual. I had the mix disabled; however, the deck was still showing levels for 5-6? Is this normal?
I've only used my 701D twice now but that's how it worked for me, I could see the levels for channels 5-6 even though I had them turned off.

Good (I guess lol). I thought maybe I was doing something wrong.

What's really weird is that those channels had higher levels than either 1-2 or 3-4. The biggest thing I was worried about was that I had the monitor set to "mix" sending it out to video camera and I didn't know if it was going to be distorted or not if it was coming from "that" mix.
Mics: SKM184's; ADK A51s; AT4041; Line CM3; Superlux S502; CK91 active w/homebrew BB; AT853; Naiant X-X; Nak 300's
Recorders: M10; DR-60D; DR-701D

Offline billydee

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #62 on: July 22, 2019, 06:12:25 PM »

Good (I guess lol). I thought maybe I was doing something wrong.

What's really weird is that those channels had higher levels than either 1-2 or 3-4. The biggest thing I was worried about was that I had the monitor set to "mix" sending it out to video camera and I didn't know if it was going to be distorted or not if it was coming from "that" mix.
The last time I ran the 701-D (for Tab Benoit) I recorded the channel 5-6 mix and gave the SD card to Skaggs after the show.
He liked how it sounded and tracked and upped it as is. Sounds pretty good.
https://archive.org/details/tabbenoit2019-06-12.flac16schoepsmk41-soundboardmatrix

Offline goodcooker

• Trade Count: (32)
  • goes to 11
« Reply #63 on: August 04, 2019, 08:37:03 AM »

I picked up Dan's 701d to replace my quirky Marantz PMD706. Any advice for a new user?

The menu looks really straight forward and I did a few trial runs at home to get a feel for it. Any pitfalls or easy to miss settings?

The angle of the screen seems a little steep for running in a bag and seems to be designed more for using it flat on a table top.
MBHO KA300 > PFA || Sennheiser me40-k2u || ADK S51 || Joly Mod Oktava MK012
Aerco MP2 || Grace Lunatec V2 || RAD MS2 || nBox Platinum
Tascam DR701d || PMD620

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/goodcooker

"Are you the Zman?" - fan at Panic 10-08-10 Kansas City

"I don't know who left this perfectly good inflatable wook doll here, but if I'm blowing her up, I'm keeping her." -  hoppedup

Offline morst

• Trade Count: (2)
  • ISO ALL archival Cracker / CVB / Monks Of Doom etc
    • Soundscape Preservation Society
« Reply #64 on: August 04, 2019, 12:06:52 PM »
The angle of the screen seems a little steep for running in a bag and seems to be designed more for using it flat on a table top.
I run the 70D but the screen angle issue is the same. Sometimes I run the deck relatively "upside down" when I would not be able to see the levels with it right side up. For instance, when it's propped on its battery cover, next to a soundboard, and I don't want to have to put my head right over the mixing board to see my meters.
Teams: Neumann, Bay Area Tapers, Multitrack, Pioneertown Tapers, Mac Geeks, Cassette Masters, Poster Collectors, Alumni of teams St Louis, Upper Midwest & Milwaukee / Southern Wisco

Offline goodcooker

• Trade Count: (32)
  • goes to 11
« Reply #65 on: September 22, 2019, 04:45:03 PM »

I've run this thing a couple times now using the internal preamps and I have to say I'm pretty impressed. They sound nice and balanced with good low end extension.
MBHO KA300 > PFA || Sennheiser me40-k2u || ADK S51 || Joly Mod Oktava MK012
Aerco MP2 || Grace Lunatec V2 || RAD MS2 || nBox Platinum
Tascam DR701d || PMD620

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/goodcooker

"Are you the Zman?" - fan at Panic 10-08-10 Kansas City

"I don't know who left this perfectly good inflatable wook doll here, but if I'm blowing her up, I'm keeping her." -  hoppedup

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.09 seconds with 48 queries.
© 2002-2019 Taperssection.com