Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Switch to DIN or ORTF for a situation like this? CA-14 cards  (Read 2439 times)

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (12)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Switch to DIN or ORTF for a situation like this? CA-14 cards
« Reply #30 on: January 03, 2017, 07:14:13 PM »
Thanks for the follow up and the samples.

It's more boomy than with the cardioids. I like the cardiod recordings better. Cards are more detailed and not boomy. Seem crisper.

Much of that is frequency response differences, primarily due to the dramatic differences of recording location and distance from the stage, but also the inherent low frequency rolloff of cards vs omnis and the different overall frequency responses of the microphones.  The two recordings could be made to sound much closer to each other after EQ, but other things like transient clarity and dynamic punch only comes with being close enough to capture those qualities.

Try the mics up in that catwalk if you can, that could work very well.  Try spacing the omnis and hanging them from their cables to get them as low as the short cables allow.  I doubt anyone will even see them.  You probably can't hang the cards as easily as you need to point them correctly, so just tape or clamp them (safely of course) to the catwalk itself if you don't have a way to extend them downwards without them twisting around.
volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values | numeric values > voltages > vibrations > virtual teleportation time-machine experience

"Narrow or widely spaced microphone configurations are preferred. It is well-known experience that pure coincidence microphone concepts are not able to produce a satisfying natural spatial impression, due to the lack of adequate interchannel temporal relations (time-of-arrival, phase, correlation)" -Günther Theile
"The mix of the Double M/S signals with a large A/B configuration of omnis results in the spacious sound that is often desired. This option also provides decorrelated low-frequency signals." -Helmut Wittek

Offline SquirrelMurphy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #31 on: January 03, 2017, 09:30:41 PM »
Try the mics up in that catwalk if you can [...] hanging them from their cables...

You guys are getting me deeper and deeper into it.  :)

But I'm game. How to set the levels though? There's no chance at a test run. You think this'll be better than cards from the front row? At least then I can sit with them and shush the neighbors.

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (12)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #32 on: January 04, 2017, 09:52:32 AM »
Cards in the front row is simple and easy and may be the best way to go simply on that account.  But if it interests you to figure out what works best, I'd certainly give the catwalk a try.  Hanging spaced omnis over the conductor position is a commonly prefered way to record professionally in a concert hall.  You can do it like the pros do.  Most here will never have a chance to record that way.  Personally, I'd jump at the chance!

Compared to recording from the front row seated position, from a hanging position over the conductor the orchestra will sound brighter and generally clearer overall, the instruments in the back rows less distant and reverberant, and the audience reaction more distant and evenly diffuse.

Use the level settings which worked for you previously from the front row, maybe with a touch more headroom just to be safe.

volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values | numeric values > voltages > vibrations > virtual teleportation time-machine experience

"Narrow or widely spaced microphone configurations are preferred. It is well-known experience that pure coincidence microphone concepts are not able to produce a satisfying natural spatial impression, due to the lack of adequate interchannel temporal relations (time-of-arrival, phase, correlation)" -Günther Theile
"The mix of the Double M/S signals with a large A/B configuration of omnis results in the spacious sound that is often desired. This option also provides decorrelated low-frequency signals." -Helmut Wittek

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.1 seconds with 29 queries.
© 2002-2017 Taperssection.com