Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: 32Bit Float recording - The Technical view  (Read 3444 times)

Offline shijan

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Re: 32Bit Float recording - The Technical view
« Reply #60 on: October 05, 2019, 07:57:41 AM »
Any info how 32Bit Float will work with compressors and software limiters in real life?
If your source have a lot of really loud splashes and you bring back loudest part to visible range in one click, other parts of track gain became too low. Simple normalize tool for selected regions only or manual gain adjust with curve is ok for simple situations, but for instant random loud splaches you need some kind of automatic limiter. So will those software plugins see that hidden dynamic range in 32Bit mode? Is it possible that software limiters in 32Bit mode will produce same result as analogue limiters or even better?

UPDATE: I downloaded samples from SoundDevices website and play with very simple AU limiter plugin in Cocos Reaper. All you need do is set attack/release time. Seems works great. Artifacts-free real time recovery!  :headphones:
« Last Edit: October 05, 2019, 08:28:13 AM by shijan »
2x Oktava MK-012+Rycote BBG -> MixPre -> Edirol R-09HR

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #61 on: October 05, 2019, 08:48:32 AM »
When a recording on the unit is going well into the red, what happens to the monitoring?  Do you hear distortion that won't be heard after normalising, or... how does it work?  I guess it's down to where in the chain the monitor signal comes from.

Offline shijan

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #62 on: October 05, 2019, 11:46:20 AM »
When a recording on the unit is going well into the red, what happens to the monitoring?  Do you hear distortion that won't be heard after normalising, or... how does it work?  I guess it's down to where in the chain the monitor signal comes from.

My guess you will hear distortion that won't be heard after normalising. MixPre limiters are disabled in 32 bit mode.
Here are some processed examples (original, normalized only, non normalized with software limiter plugin):
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/rm6c9sdgimeoy98/AACXdJ3tpd5Mi5QJYyO7gKG7a?dl=0

It is also interesting what strategy will work better for sound "highlights" recovery?
a. normalize all track and then use compressor to boost silent parts withiout clipping loudest parts.
b. don't normalize track and recover hidden loudest parts with limiter.

2x Oktava MK-012+Rycote BBG -> MixPre -> Edirol R-09HR

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (32)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #63 on: October 15, 2019, 06:28:35 PM »
DSatz, Gutbucket, and a few others raised some excellent points about tempering expectations regarding 32-bit float recording.  This is valuable information we all need to pay attention to, but as has been said before: the real test is in the implementation.

To that end, I would like to hear from other 32-bit float recorder owners if they have run into anything of concern.

So far, recordings from my Zoom F6 have been flawless.  These recordings have swung very wide dynamic ranges, and I do not hear any noisefloor modulation, artifacts, or anything else that shouldn't be there.  If there is anything nasty going on, it is buried way down in a level that I cannot hear it, nor can my spectral analysis show it.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2019, 05:39:12 AM by voltronic »
DPA 4061 | Line Audio CM3 | Naiant X-Q | AT 853
Naiant PFAs | Shure FP24
Zoom F6 | Sony PCM-M10

Team Line Audio
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.    ///    If a composer could say what he had to say in words he would not bother trying to say it in music.
- Gustav Mahler

Offline dallman

• Trade Count: (30)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Clifford Morse
« Reply #64 on: October 16, 2019, 01:38:14 AM »
DSatz, Gutbucket, and a few others raised some excellent points about tempering expectations regarding 32-bit float recording.  This is valuable information we all need to pay attention to, but as has been said before: the real test is in the implementation.

To that end, I would like to hear from other 32-bit float recorder owners if they have run into anything of concern.

So far, recordings from my Zoom F6 have been flawless.  The recordings I have made have swung very wide dynamic ranges, and I do not hear any noisefloor modulation, artifacts, or anything else that shouldn't be there.  If there is anything nasty going on, it is buried way down in a level that I cannot hear it, nor can my spectral analysis cannot show it.
I agree, my recordings have sounded excellent and very much like the 24bit recordings I have been making for years. I have played with running hot and I have played with recording conservatively and it does not seem to make a difference. I have seen very positive tests where things have really been pushed but I am not looking to make a point when I record, I am looking to grab as good a recording as I can, so I am not pushing into anything crazy. I have used both the F6 and the MixPre6II and I am happy with both decks performance and sound.
Support Live Music: Tape A Show Today!
Deck>possibly something here> Mics

Offline rick.lang

• Taperssection Newbie
32Bit Float recording - The Technical view
« Reply #65 on: November 26, 2019, 01:16:57 PM »
Excellent feedback, thanks! 

Good to hear if I had kept my order with Zoom that all would end well.  But I switched on the delay because I couldn’t be sure it would be ready for my late September and October recordings where I used the MixPre-6 II successfully.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.09 seconds with 48 queries.
© 2002-2019 Taperssection.com