Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Mix-Pre 3/6 USB Batteries (what works and what doesn't)  (Read 25310 times)

Offline rippleish20

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: Mix-Pre 3/6 USB Batteries (what works and what doesn't)
« Reply #180 on: June 27, 2018, 01:56:57 PM »
This means that you need to use a USB-C to USB-C cable and a battery that has a USB-C output port offering 1.5A+ (even here some USB-C to USB-C cables, like the one that comes with the Ancor USB-C batteries, have been reported as troublesome, so you may want to avoid them although its not clear what the specific issue is)

hmm, interesting. I ended up ordering the Anker 26800+ PD version, which comes with a USB-C to USB-C cable. i just figured since I was avoiding the whole USB-A amperage issue, I would be good. i hadn't considered that the included cable might not work. can you be more specific as to how the USB-C to USB-C cables included with Anker batteries have been reported as troublesome? I don't recall seeing that in this thread, though I might have just forgotten the specific post by now.

I've encountered a couple of comments indicating issues with the included USB-C to USB-C cable but there are several threads where people talk about mixpre-x's and batteries other than this one as well as the FB group and a quick search turns up nothing. I used the included cable a couple of times without issue...
MK22's / MK41's / AKG C480Bs+ck61, ck63, ck8 / Telefunken FET M60 Cards and Hypers  / DPA 4061's
KCY 250/5 and Nbob KCY (Nbob for sale) > naiant PFA or IPA or Nbox 
Mixpre-10t / Mixpre-6 / Sony M-10 / Tascam DR-100mkIII / d:vice

Offline junkyardt

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #181 on: July 02, 2018, 07:07:13 PM »
i tested how long my new Anker 26800+ PD would run the Mixpre-6. set it up with LED and LCD both set at 5, fully charged the battery, turned on the MixPre and just let it sit. no recording, no phantom, nothing. the MixPre was on for just around 20 hours before it shut off (20 hours 3 mins to be exact). presumably phantom powering 4 mics and recording multiple channels would result in reduced runtime, might do another test with a bunch of stuff going on to see how much it reduces it by. regardless, the Anker 26800 clearly provides way more runtime for the MixPre than any taper is reasonably going to need in one go, even if you're doing an all-day fest.

Offline borjam

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
  • Sound guy at BJC - Bilbaina Jazz Club
« Reply #182 on: July 07, 2018, 04:30:08 AM »
Given people's experience with the orange light on the Mix Pre when powering over a USB A cable, I would have to assume that the 7.5W is a typo and it is indeed trying to draw more current than 2.4A. Alternatively, the batteries aren't providing more than 1.2A but that seems less likely
I tried an iPad charger. It can certainly deliver a lot of current, but if you connect a standard USB 2 device it will deliver the standard USB 2 current, no more. Otherwise it might cause problems with some devices.

iPads have some extra circuitry to "milk" those adapters. That same circuitry also allows them to demand extra current from Mac USB 2.0 ports.
"Don't worry about the drums. I'm a percussionist, I can play on carton boxes" - Peer Wyboris

Offline dynamicalories

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #183 on: July 12, 2018, 06:24:22 PM »
Can anyone recommend a good USB A > USB C cable? The one that comes with the MixPre-6 is pretty chunky. Would prefer something quality, durable about 1-foot-ish.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.114 seconds with 31 queries.
© 2002-2018 Taperssection.com