Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: matrixing with the ua-5 help needed.  (Read 2657 times)

Offline junkbondking

• a good story and a good massage both have happy endings
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • i'm busy fabercating
matrixing with the ua-5 help needed.
« on: May 05, 2004, 10:18:35 PM »
ok, so i run the tl's with the w modded ua-5.  to martix with the board do i run a board feed into the coax in, and run the mic cables as usual lc & rc.  how do i adjust the feed coming from the board vs the feed from the mics ?  it is going to be for some smaller bluegrass bands at an old church.  i want the fullness of the tl's to match with onstage prescence of the sdb as this place does not exactly crank up their p.a......

thanks for the help and  

:devilrock: with your cock out.
www.poachninja.com  "you've been poached"

km184 -> busman modded R4

Offline caymanreview

• Trade Count: (22)
    • shows ive taped  that are in circulation
Re:matrixing with the ua-5 help needed.
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2004, 10:34:02 PM »
is the board feed analog or digital? im assuming analog

run your mics int he front like normal, and you can adjust thier gain like normal. run the board feed into the rca inputs in the back, and you can adjust the signal on the back with that little knob

i dont think you can actually give gain to the rca inputs, i believe that all the way cranked up would just be line level... maybe i am totally wrong on this certain point, its been awhile since i had my ua5

Offline drumminj

• Taperssection Member
    • my photos
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2004, 01:29:06 AM »
The one thing that sucks is that there's no "master gain" once you've gotten the mic-sbd mix right where you want it.

I also believe that you can't apply gain to the RCA inputs, just attenuate it.  Though, A while back Skalinder said that Doug (Oade) said that the RCA inputs do pass through op amps, so there very well may be a gain stage in there.

J

Offline caymanreview

• Trade Count: (22)
    • shows ive taped  that are in circulation
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2004, 01:52:06 AM »
I also believe that you can't apply gain to the RCA inputs, just attenuate it.  Though, A while back Skalinder said that Doug (Oade) said that the RCA inputs do pass through op amps, so there very well may be a gain stage in there.

thats exactly what i thought

Offline joeshambro

• Taperssection Member
  • taper turned professional FOH mixer
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2004, 01:56:18 AM »
Why bother matrixing?  If this is a nice old church with small bluegrass band, just run onstage... it'll sound MUCH better, than a board feed with whatever mics this church has on hand (and believe me unless they've got a stockpile of Neumann or Schoeps or DPA mics)...

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2004, 07:55:11 AM »
Why bother matrixing?  If this is a nice old church with small bluegrass band, just run onstage... it'll sound MUCH better, than a board feed with whatever mics this church has on hand (and believe me unless they've got a stockpile of Neumann or Schoeps or DPA mics)...

If they're running old-school around a single mic, sure - that makes sense.  But if they're not, on-stage won't help - you'll miss too much of the vocals.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline junkbondking

• a good story and a good massage both have happy endings
  • i'm busy fabercating
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2004, 10:23:39 AM »
cannot run onstage.  the venue events coordinator is also a taper (he runs 170s, ad2k) and even he can't run onstage.  the stage is about 4' above the floor, and people sit at every show for the first 15 rows.  running big guns onstage would not be cool to them.

im gonna swing by this week and chat with the guy anyway, i also might try split omnis for their "louder" shows.

+T's all around for the help.
www.poachninja.com  "you've been poached"

km184 -> busman modded R4

Offline Chanher

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Colorado Crew
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2004, 12:00:43 PM »
cannot run onstage.  the venue events coordinator is also a taper (he runs 170s, ad2k) and even he can't run onstage.  the stage is about 4' above the floor, and people sit at every show for the first 15 rows.  running big guns onstage would not be cool to them.

im gonna swing by this week and chat with the guy anyway, i also might try split omnis for their "louder" shows.

+T's all around for the help.

yes. split omni's + a sbd feed is the bomb.  I did it with a jazz quartet (I ended up screwing up the recording by other means) but I'd say try that for quiet or loud.
Line Audio CM4 / AT853Rx (c,h) / Studio Projects C4 MKII (c,h,o)
Sound Devices MP-2 / bm2p+ Edirol UA-5
Zoom F3 / F6 / Marantz Oade Warm Mod PMD661 / Tascam DR-70D

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.059 seconds with 37 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com