Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Sonosax SX-M2D2 Coming...  (Read 28400 times)

Offline H₂O

• Trade Count: (27)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Sonosax SX-M2D2 Coming...
« Reply #150 on: January 15, 2020, 11:13:26 AM »
Sonosax does not limit the dynamic range on non-recorder devices such as the M2D2 or AD8+.
The patent only applies to a Recorder.
Music can at the least least explain you and at the most expand you
LMA Recordings

List

Offline dogmusic

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #151 on: January 15, 2020, 11:14:15 AM »
A question about the SX-M2D2 dynamic range. I read that the SX-R4+ dynamic range of 135dB is limited in the USA version to 114dB because of patent issues. Is the SX-M2D2 also limited in the US version?

The SX-R4+ is limited as shipped, because of the Zaxcom patent, but the 135dB range is restored via a software update via the sonosax website. In other words, the limited range is a legal fiction.

I don't know if there is a similar issue with the SX-M2D2's dynamic range. But if there is, it is a non issue, solved in minutes by anyone with an internet connected computer.

Thanks for that info.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2020, 11:16:11 AM by dogmusic »
"The ear is much more than a mere appendage on the side of the head." - Catherine Parker Anthony, Structure and Function of the Human Body (1972)

"That's metaphysically absurd, man! How can I know what you hear?" - Firesign Theatre

Offline dogmusic

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #152 on: January 15, 2020, 11:14:54 AM »
Sonosax does not limit the dynamic range on non-recorder devices such as the M2D2 or AD8+.
The patent only applies to a Recorder.

Thanks. That's good to hear.
"The ear is much more than a mere appendage on the side of the head." - Catherine Parker Anthony, Structure and Function of the Human Body (1972)

"That's metaphysically absurd, man! How can I know what you hear?" - Firesign Theatre

Online jerryfreak

• Trade Count: (29)
  • team WOOz
« Reply #153 on: January 15, 2020, 07:56:04 PM »
interesting. how do zoom, lectrosonics, sound devices, etc "get around" the zax patents

Offline H₂O

• Trade Count: (27)
« Reply #154 on: January 15, 2020, 09:16:24 PM »
interesting. how do zoom, lectrosonics, sound devices, etc "get around" the zax patents

Maybe a circuit topological difference in the arrangement of the 2 AD's per channel - don't know for sure.

Zaxcom isn't the first company to come up with the idea (from what I have read that the idea is from the late 1980's to early 1990's) and is almost trolling the idea.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2020, 09:24:15 PM by H₂O »
Music can at the least least explain you and at the most expand you
LMA Recordings

List

Offline dactylus

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (52)
  • Saint Paul, MN
« Reply #155 on: January 27, 2020, 12:20:35 PM »

My pre shipped back to Trew Audio today.  Trew will be shipping to Sonosax for repair and then arrange shipping back to me.

^
Just got my unit back from Trew Audio on Friday.  I also recently received a very nice set of RA cables from Ted for the M2D2.  Now I just need to get healthy enough to make it out the door...

hot licks > microphones > recorder

...ball of confusion, that's what the world is today, hey hey...

Offline audBall

• Trade Count: (36)
« Reply #156 on: February 08, 2020, 12:00:22 PM »
^ Any chance of getting a photo of that cable setup?  Hope you're feeling better, I just got over a nasty funk. 
akg ck61/62/63/77(c577)|naiant.pfa; dpa smk-sc4061 
lunatec v2; dpa mma-a d:vice, -6000
edirol r44(ocm); sony pcm-m10, -d100

PISO akg nbob cables

Online tgos3

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #157 on: February 08, 2020, 07:19:54 PM »

>The SX-R4+ is limited as shipped, because of the Zaxcom patent, but the 135dB range is restored via a software update via the sonosax website. In other words, the limited >range is a legal fiction.

>I don't know if there is a similar issue with the SX-M2D2's dynamic range. But if there is, it is a non issue, solved in minutes by anyone with an internet connected computer.
[/quote]

I have no sympathy for Zaxcom, but we should remember that in US law, if you do not defend a patent, you lose the protection.  I think Zaxcom is aggressively litigious anyway, but they probably have a lawyer telling them they must be seen to protect their patent, whether it is justifiable or not. 

aside from that, can you provide a link to where on the "on the Sonosax site" the dynamic range upgrade for the US R4+ is available? I have looked hard and cant find it.  Your mention is the first I have seen anywhere.  If I could find such a link, I'd be a lot happier about paying full price for a "crippled" US version. 114 dB does not reach 24 bit depth.
The M2D2 has the full dynamic range, and the 'same preamps'  as the EU recorder, says Sonosax.
I would think for USERS to download such a file and use it is our own business, like unlocking a phone, but for Sonosax to supply such a link on sisght might be construed as negating the 'US version" so-called patent avoidance (IMO we need not call it "patent compliance", because there is no proof there is a conflict, and Jacques does not want to test it at law with technical disclosure etc.). If they do it anyway, hurray for them.

TG

Offline noahbickart

• phishrabbi
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (32)
  • So now I wander over grounds of light...
« Reply #158 on: February 09, 2020, 11:58:08 AM »
https://www.sonosax.ch/wp-content/uploads/2016/12/SONONEWS_2015_10_EN.pdf

"This modification is reversible for those who may leave the US."

If you buy the machine, contact sonosax for the reversal.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2020, 12:37:44 PM by noahbickart »
Recording:
Capsules: Schoeps mk41v (x2), mk22 (x2), mk3 (x2), mk21 & mk8
Cables: 2x nbob KCY, 1 pair nbob actives, GAKables 10' & 20' 6-channel snakes, Darktrain 2 & 4 channel KCY and mini xlr extensions:
Preamps:    Schoeps VMS 02iub, Naiant IPA, Sound Devices Mixpre6 I
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre6 I, Sony PCM m10

Home Playback: Mac Mini> Mytek Brooklyn+> McIntosh MC162> Eminent Tech LFT-16; Musical Fidelity xCan v2> Hifiman HE-4XX / Beyerdynamic DT880

Office Playback: iMac> Grace m903> AKG k701 / Hifiman HE-400

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.054 seconds with 50 queries.
© 2002-2020 Taperssection.com