Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Neumann tlm 107  (Read 3061 times)

Offline mepaca

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection Member
  • taperssection member
Neumann tlm 107
« on: January 22, 2018, 11:17:24 AM »
I have an opportunity to buy a pair at a good price. These would be used mostly for close micing of acoustic instruments, piano,etc. Any opinions?

Offline DSatz

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Neumann tlm 107
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2018, 11:34:12 PM »
No opinion (I don't use this mike or know anyone who does), but a question: What attracts you to this specific model? Its frequency response seems to be tailored for studio use, i.e. as a microphone with a specific "coloring" to it--and in most of its pattern settings, its directional response varies across the frequency range more than a small, single-diaphragm microphone of comparable quality. So that isn't the set of characteristics that one would normally choose for stereo pair recording from a distance in a reverberant environment.
music > microphones > a recorder of some sort

Offline sparkey

• Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2018, 11:50:24 PM »
I doubt you could go wrong with a large diaphragm Neumann
#Generalstrike for president in 2024

Offline mepaca

• Taperssection Member
  • taperssection member
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2018, 05:02:17 AM »
No opinion (I don't use this mike or know anyone who does), but a question: What attracts you to this specific model? Its frequency response seems to be tailored for studio use, i.e. as a microphone with a specific "coloring" to it--and in most of its pattern settings, its directional response varies across the frequency range more than a small, single-diaphragm microphone of comparable quality. So that isn't the set of characteristics that one would normally choose for stereo pair recording from a distance in a reverberant environment.
D Satz- I have nothing but immense respect for your knowledge and wisdom. As stated though, this would be for close micing of mostly acoustic instruments in multi-track recordings. Many of my recordings and most of my releases are location multi-track using a combination of small and large diaphragm mics. i was wondering if anyone had an opinion of this mic for this intended purpose. I heard it on the cello in this live recorded piece and thought it sounded quite good. http://instantencore.com/work/work.aspx?work=5080512
« Last Edit: January 27, 2018, 05:11:03 AM by mepaca »

Offline DSatz

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2018, 10:02:01 AM »
Ah. Sorry--despite what is plainly said in your message, nonetheless I somehow assumed that this was meant for the more usual application that people have on this board. That was completely due to inattention on my part.

music > microphones > a recorder of some sort

Offline sparkey

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2018, 11:25:58 AM »

Offline mepaca

• Taperssection Member
  • taperssection member
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2018, 07:01:05 PM »
I did indeed bite the bullet and buy a pair of these mics. The ebay seller, a registered Neumann dealer, had these mics which were advertised as manufacturer refurbished with full manufacturer's warranty. They were  "buy it now" with a "make an offer" option. We settled on $930 each which is a substantial savings off of the $1400 price. After the sale they realized that they had made an inventory error and did not have them in stock after all. Instead of canceling the sale they did the right thing and had Neumann USA send me a brand new pair. Needless to say I was quite pleased with this turn of events. I used them for the first time yesterday on a classical trio consisting of piano, soprano saxophone and cello with the the TLM 107s on the saxophone and cello. I am thrilled with the way they sound. They are very flat and clean with a nice presence boost above 8 khz and very low self noise. No eq required. I am surprised that they haven't gotten more press although the reviews they have gotten have been favorable.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2018, 12:50:10 AM by mepaca »

Offline sparkey

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2018, 06:36:03 AM »
I did indeed bite the bullet and buy a pair of these mics. The ebay seller, a registered Neumann dealer, had these mics which were advertised as manufacturer refurbished with full manufacturer's warranty. They were  "buy it now" with a "make an offer" option. We settled on $930 each which is a substantial savings off of the $1400 price. After the sale they realized that they had made an inventory error and did not have them in stock after all. Instead of canceling the sale they did the right thing and had Neumann USA send me a brand new pair. Needless to say I was quite pleased with this turn of events. I used them for the first time yesterday on a classical trio consisting of piano, soprano saxophone and cello with the the TLM 107s on the saxophone and cello. I am thrilled with the way they sound. They are very flat and clean with a nice presence boost above 8 khz and very low self noise. No eq required. I am surprised that they haven't gotten more press although the reviews they have gotten have been favorable.

congrats

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.085 seconds with 36 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com