Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Picked out computer opinions needed I'm a tech idiot  (Read 921 times)

Offline MakersMarc

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Tucson AZ
😈 Mk4v/41v>nbob actives>Baby nbox>Oade warm mod Marantz 620 or Sony M10.

Open: 4v/41v>nbobs>nbox platinum>620 or m10

Offline heathen

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: Picked out computer opinions needed I'm a tech idiot
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2018, 02:19:55 PM »
Depends on what you're using it for.  At first glance the only thing that stands out to me is the HDD.  SSDs are a very noticeable improvement to boot up times and the like.  Personally, I wouldn't go back to having an HDD as my primary drive.
Mics: Core Sound TetraMic | AT4031s | AT AE5100s | AT853s (C/SC) | Line Audio CM3s | DPA 4061s | CA-14 omnis | Studio Projects CS5
Pre: CA9200
Decks: Zoom F8 | Roland R-05 | Tascam DR-2d

Offline MakersMarc

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Tucson AZ

Offline Gordon

• Trade Count: (20)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • my list
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2018, 02:59:37 PM »
agree on SSD.  also not a huge deal but it's only a 4th gen i5 (they are on 8 now).  See how this i5 stands up to the 7th gen one.

http://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i5-7300U-vs-Intel-Core-i5-4300U/m223355vsm4996

Newer gens are much more efficient.
Neumann ak40 > Nick mod lc3 > Naiant PFA or km140 > Sound Devices MixPre-6

https://archive.org/details/fav-gordonlw

Offline rocksuitcase

• Trade Count: (1)
    • RockSuitcase: stage photography
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2018, 03:02:42 PM »
All the new PC's we order or have Dell build use SSD's for their boot/system drive. For instance, the last one I ordered had a 512 GB M SSD drive (for boot/system) and a 2 TB SATA drive (for storage)
music IS love

When you get confused, listen to the music play!

Mics:         AKG460|CK61|CK1|CK3|CK8|Beyer M 201E
Recorders:Marantz PMD661 OADE Concert mod; Tascam DR680 MKI

Offline Gordon

• my list
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2018, 03:02:43 PM »
Better?

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=1TS-000E-001X9

It's an i7 not an i5 but it's a 2nd gen.  Some people will say it's better b/c it has Windows 7 vs 10.  I'm not one of them!  Windows 7 end of life is less than 2 years away.  So you would need to upgrade the os at that point (if it's capable).

Offline MakersMarc

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Tucson AZ
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2018, 04:05:35 PM »
So I’m only using this as my music processing computer, it has to operate cd wav editor, audacity, Nero and eac. I use a passport to store music and an external cd drive when I make discs. Also to send shows via we transfer. So pretty limited. Thanks!

Offline Ben Turnbull

• Don't ask me about Audacity...
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • A Clark Nova ate my lunch... Don't ask, just pee
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2018, 10:21:28 PM »
Processor generation points aside, go with the i7. Not sure if you'd be happy running on a box w/only an SSD for storage. If you get lazy and fill up that drive w/OS and active files then you face inevitable file management issues... Work a file set on the box, move everything off to external storage, rinse/repeat.  Personally, I'd see if I could find another $300-$500 to see if you could move up the generational chain.

I just rebuilt my desktop i5 based system. I did add a 256gb SSD for the Win7 OS and many applications. I have 3/4 of that free primarily because I found that having that faster storage format did not expedite the actual processing of a editing session which is mostly done in memory/RAM. Any improvements in the CPU/processor and RAM speed/size relationship will be noticeable. I could have gotten by with less SSD size but didn't know it at the time of purchase. 

I don't have anything against Lenovo. They seem to be built well, generally, but you might find the 14" screen to be limiting at times. You could always drive a larger monitor so that's no big deal. And I went with Win7 as well but out of "fear" that my apps would be happier under it than Win10. I have to use Win10 at work and find it was not as problematic a transition that I thought.

The specs don't mention the level audio capability it has, nor does it speak to the USB ports. You might find a better fit with a machine targeted towards "Media Processing/gaming" to improve that audio chain. At the price point you're dealing with, and as a referb, you likely won't see a USB3.0 option at all. It makes those transfers much more pleasant.

'Not sure if I've helped at all. You'll likely be happy with the i7 box you selected. Unless you routinely use a faster machine elsewhere you might not have cause to feel "left behind" by the new kids on the block.

Next to paying taxes and shoveling April snow... there's not many activities more frustrating than dealing with buying a new PC.  :P

Good Luck
« Last Edit: April 18, 2018, 10:23:47 PM by Ben Turnbull »
Who came first, Dave King or Zack Galifianakis?...
-My name is Ben, and I'm an AQhaulic ranting hysterically in my dotage
Official Archivist for Jazz Central Studios, MinniMN
DPA4021/SKM140/NakCM1k/ADK A51s/Countryman B3/ATes943/SPc4/och... > TinyBox OT> PCM-M10/DR-680/R4/T+mod UA5 needs attention

Offline MakersMarc

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Tucson AZ
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2018, 10:43:19 AM »
Holy shit Dave this is worse than buying a car. :facepalm: I just need the equivalent basic transportation, no gaming here. Don't care about sceeen size or memory, everything she going on outboard drives. Might just go with first choice if it lasts five years I'll be happy. I do everything except music processing on iPad.

Offline Gordon

• my list
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2018, 10:55:43 AM »
Yes but music processing can be way faster with better specs!

Offline lsd2525

• Eschew obfuscation
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2018, 11:10:04 AM »
Nobody is mentioning the 486, running at a blazing 66 MHz.
Mics: ADK A51s; AT4041; Line CM3; Superlux S502; CK91 active w/homebrew BB; AT853; Naiant X-X; Nak 300's
Recorders: M10; DR-60D; DR-70D

Offline heathen

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2018, 11:35:49 AM »
Do you require that it's a laptop?  A desktop gets you much better bang for the buck.
Mics: Core Sound TetraMic | AT4031s | AT AE5100s | AT853s (C/SC) | Line Audio CM3s | DPA 4061s | CA-14 omnis | Studio Projects CS5
Pre: CA9200
Decks: Zoom F8 | Roland R-05 | Tascam DR-2d

Offline billydee

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2018, 11:59:07 AM »
Holy shit Dave this is worse than buying a car. :facepalm: I just need the equivalent basic transportation, no gaming here. Don't care about sceeen size or memory, everything she going on outboard drives. Might just go with first choice if it lasts five years I'll be happy. I do everything except music processing on iPad.
Marc, in my humble opinion and for your stated basic audio processing needs, the machine(s) you've picked out should be just fine. The only thing I would change on either of your choices is that I would up the RAM to 16gb.

Offline rocksuitcase

• Trade Count: (1)
    • RockSuitcase: stage photography
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2018, 12:39:57 PM »
Marc, in my humble opinion and for your stated basic audio processing needs, the machine(s) you've picked out should be just fine. The only thing I would change on either of your choices is that I would up the RAM to 16gb.
I tend to agree. If it were my choice out of these two: I'd go with the Win10 machine but make it 16GB RAM as billydee suggests. For that price, if it lasts 3-5 years you will have gotten your money's worth.
I HAVE used Lenovo, and purchased them for clients; no build complaints aside from that odd track eraser thingy; HOWEVER warranty work is 100% mail-in which I and my clients find not optimal. Mine is a work situation, so you would probably be fine, just no computer for the 5-10 business days it takes to process.
One aside; for any laptop, buy the longest, best warranty you can afford. (i.e. I ALWAYS get Apple Care on a iPad, but rarely get accidental coverage on Dell towers. [same type of warranty/different names]) 
music IS love

When you get confused, listen to the music play!

Mics:         AKG460|CK61|CK1|CK3|CK8|Beyer M 201E
Recorders:Marantz PMD661 OADE Concert mod; Tascam DR680 MKI

Offline MakersMarc

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Tucson AZ
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2018, 08:58:02 PM »
Thanks all most appreciated!

Offline Ben Turnbull

• Don't ask me about Audacity...
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • A Clark Nova ate my lunch... Don't ask, just pee
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2018, 09:05:51 PM »
 :bigsmile: I didn't mean to scare you, bud. But if I know you at all, you "may" not know what questions you need to ask.  ;)  Most of my drivel was aiming at making the audio processing a more expeditious process for you. Perhaps in your waning years you have a more relaxed pace to life and what you've picked out will work just fine for you. I do second upping the RAM to 16gb.

Good Luck, Pard'  :coolguy:
Who came first, Dave King or Zack Galifianakis?...
-My name is Ben, and I'm an AQhaulic ranting hysterically in my dotage
Official Archivist for Jazz Central Studios, MinniMN
DPA4021/SKM140/NakCM1k/ADK A51s/Countryman B3/ATes943/SPc4/och... > TinyBox OT> PCM-M10/DR-680/R4/T+mod UA5 needs attention

Offline MakersMarc

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Tucson AZ
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2018, 10:59:41 AM »
:bigsmile: I didn't mean to scare you, bud. But if I know you at all, you "may" not know what questions you need to ask.  ;)  Most of my drivel was aiming at making the audio processing a more expeditious process for you. Perhaps in your waning years you have a more relaxed pace to life and what you've picked out will work just fine for you. I do second upping the RAM to 16gb.

Good Luck, Pard'  :coolguy:

Waning years? Nah????

Do appreciate the help!

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.269 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2018 Taperssection.com