Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Rode NT4 > Zoom H1  (Read 476 times)

Offline thewindingsheet

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Rode NT4 > Zoom H1
« on: April 18, 2018, 01:10:08 PM »
A friend is loaning me a Rode NT4 mic which I hope to mount 7' up and run into my Zoom H1, to tape a show at the Variety Playhouse in Atlanta.

Any one heard of such a configuration, or have suggestions on setting this up?

Offline heathen

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: Rode NT4 > Zoom H1
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2018, 02:13:55 PM »
Do you have all the "accessories" you'll need, like a mic clip or shock mount and cable/adapter (it looks like you'll need stereo XLR to stereo mini)?  It looks like the NT4 can be powered by 9V battery, so make sure to bring a couple of those (it's always good to have a backup) since the H1 doesn't provide phantom power.  Definitely bring duct tape or gaffer's tape to tape down the legs of your mic stand, and for just in case.

As for setup, I haven't used the NT4, but I suspect your best bet will be to first find a location in the venue that sounds good to your ears, and set up there.  Barring that, do your best to get close to such a spot.  Once you've found your spot, turn your head until you find the best sound, then set your mic up pointing in the direction your head was facing.  It looks like the NT4 is set in a specific configuration, so you just need to get it pointed in the right direction.

Don't worry about trying to have your levels peaking at 0...if you get them peaking at -12 you'll be fine because you can bump them up in post.  Also try not to adjust levels during a song, unless it's really necessary.

Take all this with a grain of salt, though, because there are a LOT of people on this board who know more than me, and hopefully some that even have experience with the NT4.

Don't forget to have fun.
Mics: Core Sound TetraMic | AT4031s | AT AE5100s | AT853s (C/SC) | Line Audio CM3s | DPA 4061s | CA-14 omnis | Studio Projects CS5
Pre: CA9200
Decks: Zoom F8 | Roland R-05 | Tascam DR-2d

Offline thewindingsheet

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2018, 02:45:37 PM »
Thanks a bunch for the advice. I'm admittably new to this whole thing. Now I'm looking a mic stand, though all I see that goes higher than '5-'6 is a light stand.

Offline heathen

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2018, 03:40:00 PM »
Yeah as far as I know you're going to need to get a light stand.  Manfrotto makes some quality stands that are popular around here.  Pay attention to the threads at the top of the stand and whatever mount you're using...you may need an adapter.
Mics: Core Sound TetraMic | AT4031s | AT AE5100s | AT853s (C/SC) | Line Audio CM3s | DPA 4061s | CA-14 omnis | Studio Projects CS5
Pre: CA9200
Decks: Zoom F8 | Roland R-05 | Tascam DR-2d

Offline Perry

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2018, 04:31:13 PM »
Picked this up last week.  https://www.amazon.com/Promaster-LS-CT-Compact-Travel-Light/dp/B00EO4WRNG
Pair it with a Matthews extension, https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/33185-REG/Matthews_429499_Telescopic_Baby_Stand_Extension.html and I can still reach 10' yet the whole thing fits in my gear bag's tripod loops for easy carry.
"It hurts to lean back in handcuffs..."
^^~~~~~~~Todd Snider~~~~~~~^^

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.111 seconds with 32 queries.
© 2002-2018 Taperssection.com