Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: 744T vs current options  (Read 4157 times)

Offline noahbickart

• phishrabbi
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • So now I wander over grounds of light...
Re: 744T vs current options
« Reply #30 on: October 23, 2018, 07:58:45 PM »
Can you assign multiple mixes for output on the mixpre? That's a deal-breaker for me. Gotta be able to do at least two.

Yes. One mix on line out. And a 2nd on the headphone out.

Each is any combo of any of the 6 inputs and/or the mix track.
Recording:
Capsules: Schoeps mk41v (x2), mk4v (x2), mk22 (x2), mk3 (x2), mk21 & mk8
Cables: 2x nbob KCY, 1 pair nbob actives, Darktrain 2 and 4 channel KCY extensions:
Preamps:    Schoeps VMS 02iub, Naiant Littlebox, Naiant IPA, Sound Devices Mixpre6
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre6, Sony PCM m10

Home Playback: Mytek DSD 192> McIntosh MC162> Eminent Tech LFT-16; Musical Fidelity xCan v2> Hifiman HE-4XX / Beyerdynamic DT880

Office Playback: Grace m903> AKG k701 / Hifiman HE-400

Offline Charlie Miller

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Come On, Get Happy
« Reply #31 on: October 24, 2018, 01:44:10 PM »
Can you assign multiple mixes for output on the mixpre? That's a deal-breaker for me. Gotta be able to do at least two.

That's cool but I use my headphone out for monitoring. I think the mixpre series are great units and were needed since a lot of people were priced out of the 7xx's.
Audio Engineer - Steve Kimock Productions

Schoeps CMC6/MK4 & AKG C460b/CK8
Lunatec V2  > Sound Devices 744T

Offline noahbickart

• phishrabbi
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • So now I wander over grounds of light...
« Reply #32 on: October 24, 2018, 02:32:52 PM »

That's cool but I use my headphone out for monitoring. I think the mixpre series are great units and were needed since a lot of people were priced out of the 7xx's.

Charlie:

It does indeed sound like the 744t suits your needs better than the mixpre6 would.
Recording:
Capsules: Schoeps mk41v (x2), mk4v (x2), mk22 (x2), mk3 (x2), mk21 & mk8
Cables: 2x nbob KCY, 1 pair nbob actives, Darktrain 2 and 4 channel KCY extensions:
Preamps:    Schoeps VMS 02iub, Naiant Littlebox, Naiant IPA, Sound Devices Mixpre6
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre6, Sony PCM m10

Home Playback: Mytek DSD 192> McIntosh MC162> Eminent Tech LFT-16; Musical Fidelity xCan v2> Hifiman HE-4XX / Beyerdynamic DT880

Office Playback: Grace m903> AKG k701 / Hifiman HE-400

Offline IronFilm

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • Sound Recordist for Film/TV in New Zealand
    • IronFilm
« Reply #33 on: Yesterday at 03:20:23 AM »

3. Powering options.
The Mixpre can be run from a large capacity usb-c battery, internal AA batteries, & sony L type, whereas the 744 has only a hirose and L type. The bug usb-c battery runs the mixpre6 for over 18 hours and is smaller and lighter than any of the hirose solutions. A RA>RA USB-C cable makes the thing sit in the bag so well and is secure enough that I no longer run any kind of backup.

For some field recordists the dodgy consumer USB power as the only external powering if a very unprofessional strike against the MixPre.

And one of the many reasons I prefer the Zoom F series instead.

Offline junkyardt

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #34 on: Yesterday at 12:58:45 PM »

For some field recordists the dodgy consumer USB power as the only external powering if a very unprofessional strike against the MixPre.

dude what are you even talking about? at this point i think we all understand that you are a basically an undercover Zoom employee, but there is no need to be spreading misinformation about other brands of recorders. USB as the only external powering option for the mixpre? as outlined in the link below, there are a plethora of powering options, including AAs, L-mount, USB-C batteries, Hirose, etc. also what exactly about USB power do you consider “dodgy”?

https://www.sounddevices.com/tech-notes/mixpre-3-mixpre-6-powering-options

Offline nak700s

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #35 on: Yesterday at 01:48:21 PM »

3. Powering options.
The Mixpre can be run from a large capacity usb-c battery, internal AA batteries, & sony L type, whereas the 744 has only a hirose and L type. The bug usb-c battery runs the mixpre6 for over 18 hours and is smaller and lighter than any of the hirose solutions. A RA>RA USB-C cable makes the thing sit in the bag so well and is secure enough that I no longer run any kind of backup.

What the fuck are you talking about?  Calling anything about a Sound Devices recorder or pre-amp unprofessional, compared to anything that Zoom puts out is the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard in my life!  Sound Devices is the epitome of professional recording equipment...as opposed to Zoom, which is anything but. Seriously dude, if you're going to try and sell your toys, you should really set your sights on a much, much lower target to compete with.

As for external batteries, at least for the 744T, I can attest to them being a perfect way to power a deck.  I use a 32,000 USB > Hirose that will power it for an entire festival at 12V with power to spare, and have the regular batteries that slide on just as back-up.  There are other options as well, and I believe that the same options are available for both the 744T and the MixPre's.  Whoever is interested in correct information regarding the original question in this post needs to listen to the people that own and use the machines they are interested in, not garbage from someone trying to sell their crap.  Rant over  :smash:
Normal: Nakamichi CM-700's >> SD 744T (or) Sony PCM-M10
Normal: Crown CM-700's >> SD 302 >> SD 744T
Fun times: 3 Crown CM-700's >> SD 302 >> SD744T + 2 Nakamichi CM-700's >> SD744T
Stealth: CA-14c >> CA 9200 >> Edirol R-09HR
Ultra stealth: AudioReality >> AudioReality battery box >> Edirol R-09HR
Simple & Sweet!

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.188 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2018 Taperssection.com