Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Binaural mics - lowcost solution  (Read 3046 times)

Offline adrianb

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
Re: Binaural mics - lowcost solution
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2019, 10:14:28 AM »
Thanks for this kleiner Rainer. Somebody stole my Roland CS-10 EM mics from my car, and I'd been looking to replace them for a while so I've snapped up two pairs of these. I'm in the UK too, so the delivery is not too expensive.

As much as I liked the recordings made by the EMs I always found wind noise to be problematic, and fabricated (sewed on) a windshield. I assume the windscreens provided with these are the square root of useless.

Also if somebody could explain which wire goes where in the  Neutrik L-shaped 3.5mm adaptor I would be very grateful.
Mics: Sennheiser MKH 8040, Sennheiser MKH 8020, AT BP4025, AT 853 cards, CA CAFS, CA 14 Omnis, CA 11 (Cards + Omnis), Soundman OKM II Classic
Battery Boxes: Sony XLR-1, CA 9200 Preamp, CA Ugly 2 Preamp, CA Ugly BB
Recorders: Sound Devices MP3, Sony PCM-D100, Sony PCM-D50, Sony PCM-M10, Roland R-07, Tascam iXJ2

Offline beegar

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2019, 10:40:12 AM »
Thanks for this kleiner Rainer. Somebody stole my Roland CS-10 EM mics from my car, and I'd been looking to replace them for a while so I've snapped up two pairs of these. I'm in the UK too, so the delivery is not too expensive.

As much as I liked the recordings made by the EMs I always found wind noise to be problematic, and fabricated (sewed on) a windshield. I assume the windscreens provided with these are the square root of useless.

Also if somebody could explain which wire goes where in the  Neutrik L-shaped 3.5mm adaptor I would be very grateful.

Tip: Left - Yellow
Ring: Right - Red
Sleeve: Ground - 2 other wires, probably blue or black
Mics: MBHO ka300/500; AKG 461/462; Sennheiser MKE2; Audio-Technica 897 & 853 (omni, cardioid, mini shotgun)
Pre: CA9100
Decks: MixPre 6; M10

Offline adrianb

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2019, 10:47:34 AM »
Tip: Left - Yellow
Ring: Right - Red
Sleeve: Ground - 2 other wires, probably blue or black

Thank you very much  :cheers:
Mics: Sennheiser MKH 8040, Sennheiser MKH 8020, AT BP4025, AT 853 cards, CA CAFS, CA 14 Omnis, CA 11 (Cards + Omnis), Soundman OKM II Classic
Recorders: Sound Devices MP3, Sony PCM-D100, Sony PCM-D50, Sony PCM-M10, Roland R-07, Tascam iXJ2

Offline adrianb

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2019, 09:53:41 AM »
Looking at the inside of the earpiece on these it looks like there is actually a speaker there. I wonder if these are basically the same as the Roland CS-10 EM mics, and if they could be modded to provide sound as well as record.

Offline adrianb

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2019, 05:23:10 PM »
Ignore what I said above, it looks like there's a speaker there but from the product specifications on their website:

Open-air structure allows outside sounds to reach your ears, providing safety while recording in crowded environments

Offline one8ung

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2019, 02:34:05 PM »
Any info about the SPL from these microphones?

:cheers:
Mics: CA-11 - OKM II

Power: CA-UBB - A3 Adapter

Recorders: Roland R-07 - Tascam DR-2d

Offline adrianb

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2019, 02:57:44 PM »
Any info about the SPL from these microphones?

:cheers:

I suspect they are similar, if not the same, as the Roland CS-10 EM mics. In which case not capable of handling high SPL.

But I'll go and test mine now.

Offline adrianb

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2019, 03:46:28 PM »
As I thought, they are not capable of recording high SPLs.

I've just tested using a 9V battery box, in front of my hi-fi speakers and they distort when I crank the volume up to loud concert levels.

Offline one8ung

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2019, 03:58:58 PM »
As I thought, they are not capable of recording high SPLs.

I've just tested using a 9V battery box, in front of my hi-fi speakers and they distort when I crank the volume up to loud concert levels.

poor neighbors... but thanks for letting us know!
Mics: CA-11 - OKM II

Power: CA-UBB - A3 Adapter

Recorders: Roland R-07 - Tascam DR-2d

Offline ThePiedPiper

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Taperssection Regular
    • Flute In The Gallery
« Reply #24 on: Yesterday at 03:51:02 PM »
These all sound interesting on paper and the thought of using an android is tempting, but after a few YEARS of trying to find a suitable setup, I have to say, the phone market is just not there yet. All these mics are capped at 105bd SPL and will distort, and all Androids TRRS ports are mono (not some, but ALL).  Some apps generate a dual mono recording but a true stereo is not an option.  USB ports is a digital input and can support stereo recording, but there is not a lot of apps that support USB recording ... and those that do are still limited with a very low SPL handling cutoff.

You can avoid some of this using and iPhone but even then options are still limited. There is some nice recordings on iPhones out there, and I have done a few myself, but it's not as "friendly" as a dedicated recorder. The ability to set-it-and-forget-it using any type of phone just don't exist yet.

Some more info is available here:

https://www.wildmountainechoes.com/equipment/audio-recording-with-a-smartphone/

I caught myself throwing a LOT of money at this trying to find a sure-thing, something reliable and still be able to get nice 24/48 or 24/96 recordings. What I should have done is taken a 1/3 of that money and just invested in a Roland R07 ($199) or a Zoom F1 ($179), Battery Box ($59) from Sound Pros and a nice set of mics. Or find a set of mics with the 4.7k mod and skip the battery box altogether.

I hope this doesn't come off as a bummer, because the experimentation is FUN ... but the money starts to add up quicker than you realize and a lot nicer (more reliable) setup could be had.

« Last Edit: Yesterday at 03:55:05 PM by ThePiedPiper »
Mics: Audio-Technica U853AW Cardioid (4.7k MOD) | Microphone Madness MM-BSM-7M Omni | Tascam iM2W.
Pres: Aputure A.lav (iPhone) | Fostex AR-4i Audio Interface
Recorders: Zoom F1 | iPhone SE (MOD & Rooted) w/ VoiceRecorderPRO 7 app | iPhone 4 (MOD & Rooted) w/ Fostex app.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.393 seconds with 37 queries.
© 2002-2019 Taperssection.com