Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: What is KCY?  (Read 1268 times)

Offline TheMetalist

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Regular
What is KCY?
« on: May 19, 2018, 09:28:18 PM »
I'll probably make a fool of myself for asking this but I need to know.
It's not about fancy equipment. It's about the thrill, passion and hard work. Liberate the music!

"The music is your passport - Your magic key - To all the madness that awaits you." B.L. '86

Online twatts (that "Pants" thing is so lame...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
Re: What is KCY?
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2018, 09:47:12 PM »
"Schoeps KCY 250/5 IG 16.4' Active Stereo Cable for MK Capsules"

https://tinyurl.com/y8gwuo8d

Terry
***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

Offline TheMetalist

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2018, 09:56:12 PM »

Terry

Thank you, Terry!

So that's the official Schoeps active cables? Does it have any advantages against the Nbob active cables?

My Nbox has a ta6 connector and I guess KCY has some other connector?
It's not about fancy equipment. It's about the thrill, passion and hard work. Liberate the music!

"The music is your passport - Your magic key - To all the madness that awaits you." B.L. '86

Offline tim in jersey

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2018, 10:43:28 PM »
The KCY terminates in a mini Binder plug and was originally designed to be run with either the VST 62 IU or VMS 5 U preamps also manufactured by Schoeps. The active/pre combo eliminates the need for the mic bodies

Schoeps also makes another active cable, the KC5 (https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/386428-REG/Schoeps_KC_5G_Active_Extension_Cable.html), which runs between the mic caps and mic bodies...

Online twatts (that "Pants" thing is so lame...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2018, 11:05:51 PM »

Terry

Thank you, Terry!

So that's the official Schoeps active cables? Does it have any advantages against the Nbob active cables?

I'm not familiar enough with the Schoeps line-up to comment.  Sorry...

Terry
***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

Online jbell

• TDS
  • Trade Count: (141)
  • Spreadicated
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2018, 09:46:01 AM »
The KCY cable uses a binder 711!

https://www.binder-usa.com/subminiature-circular-connectors-m9-ip40-cable-plug-connector-10.html

Nick can make cables in the kcy format for schoeps or other caps!  I have a Nbob Microtech Gefell KCY cable.  If I am remembering correctly I believe I have seen Nbob kcy cable for AKG caps as well.  It is a different powering format than the traditional Nbob cables. 

Terry

Thank you, Terry!

« Last Edit: May 20, 2018, 09:56:23 AM by jbell »
Microtech Gefell M20's> Nbob KCY> Naiant PFA(60V)> Sound Devices Mixpre-6

Offline MakersMarc

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Marching the Hate Machines into the Sun
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2018, 10:03:48 PM »
I've owned both official Schoeps kcy and the nbob version. I like Nicks cable much more for 😈. It is much more flexible than the kcy although still sturdy.

Metalist, how will you power mics? You need either an nbob>Nbox or baby nbox>p48 deck, or nbob>Naiant ipa>m10. Or pick up a naiant pfa and run into a larger p48 deck. Personally I like to go small so I run my nbob into an nbox or baby nbox, and zero battery worries. Note that the baby nbox does not provide gain you have to run mic in to the m10 to get good levels. Which shouldn't be hard to do with the music you seem to tape. Apparently Schoeps>baby nbox>m10 won't set off wands a bonus. I like my IPA a lot but I detest tossing the a23 batteries after each show, I don't trust it to run more than eight hours so you can squeeze two uses. So when it arrives hoping I can replace the IPA with the baby nbox.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2018, 10:34:12 PM by MakersMarc »
😈 Mk4v/41v>nbob actives>Baby nbox>Oade warm mod Marantz 620.

Open: 4v/41v>nbobs>nbox platinum>620

Offline rippleish20

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2018, 10:28:57 PM »
Everything I use is KCY based - nbox, ipa, cables, etc. Nick told me he could indeed make a KCY AKG active cable.
Schoeps CMC6 (MK22's, MK41's) / AKG C480B (ck61, ck63, ck8) / Telefunken M60 (TK61, TK63) - for sale / DPA (4061)
KCY 250/5 and 250/0 > naiant PFA or IPA or Nbox 
Mixpre-10t / Mixpre-6 / Mixpre-3 /Sony M-10 / Roland R-07 /Tascam DR-100mkIII / d:vice

Offline TheMetalist

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2018, 02:17:35 AM »
I've owned both official Schoeps kcy and the nbob version. I like Nicks cable much more for 😈. It is much more flexible than the kcy although still sturdy.

Metalist, how will you power mics? You need either an nbob>Nbox or baby nbox>p48 deck, or nbob>Naiant ipa>m10. Or pick up a naiant pfa and run into a larger p48 deck. Personally I like to go small so I run my nbob into an nbox or baby nbox, and zero battery worries. Note that the baby nbox does not provide gain you have to run mic in to the m10 to get good levels. Which shouldn't be hard to do with the music you seem to tape. Apparently Schoeps>baby nbox>m10 won't set off wands a bonus. I like my IPA a lot but I detest tossing the a23 batteries after each show, I don't trust it to run more than eight hours so you can squeeze two uses. So when it arrives hoping I can replace the IPA with the baby nbox.

I have the Nbox Platinum ABS so this will be my lineage:

Schoeps MK41V > Nbob active cables (TA6 connector) > Nbox Platinum ABS > Sony M10.

Offline jerryfreak

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm a llama! (taboot)
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2018, 04:58:19 AM »
does the same thing as other actives

if you can find one cheap get with nick. might save you dough over habinh him make you new ones

originally was for use with VMS02IB i beleive

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.176 seconds with 37 queries.
© 2002-2018 Taperssection.com