Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: stoopid question: dif in schoeps b5d vs. standard windscreens  (Read 742 times)

Offline jadedphan

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Regular
Hey now,

So, I'm replacing some beat schoeps windscreens, and am not quite sure why the b5d windscreens are so much more expensive.  Can someone please explain to me the extra features they have other the standard solid schoeps solid foam pop screen.  Is the b5d just better protection from wind?

Thanks in advance,
-bry
Schoeps MK4/22/41  > KCY > Schoeps VMS-5U > Mytek 192 > SD 744t
Schoeps MK4/22/41 > > KC5 (modified) > nbox platinum >744t line ins

Offline jcable77

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Needs to stay in more...
Re: stoopid question: dif in schoeps b5d vs. standard windscreens
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2018, 09:26:17 AM »
Hey man. Theres these that are knock offs, theres a thread about it somewhere.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/2x-Pop-Filter-Foam-Windscreen-for-SCHOEPS-CCM4UG-Broadcast-TV-Conference-Mic/222536419795?hash=item33d03449d3:g:X9EAAOSwmfhX7iNB
These are just foam and the bd5 had a plastic membrane on the inside of the foam that makes them more rigid/resistant to wind. Thats just from what i gather from the thread a lil while ago. Those knock offs are ok inside but dont do much in the way of any breeze. I have a couple and like someone said in the other thread, good enough to keep caps in a bag safe.
Telefunken m60’s tk60’s,61’s,62’s Teac me-120’s(c,o)
AKG 480’s ck61’s>akg active naiant pfa’s>
V-3,Sound Devices 302,Mini-Me’s
Mixpre 6, pmd661
ISO- a pair of ck62’s

Offline DSatz

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (29)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2018, 05:36:58 PM »
First, let me point out that the B 5 D was designed to solve a very specific problem, and it is not necessarily the ideal solution to other problems. The problem was a scheduled outdoor concert by "The Three Tenors" that Decca wanted to record live, then release as a video and a CD. So they needed a modest amount of general windscreening for the mikes (the performers were all under a canopy roof, and the wind currents near them were quite limited), but very effective on-axis pop screening. Plus the screens needed to be small enough not to block the cameras' or the audience's view of the singers' faces.

The B 5 D has a soft plastic "seat" that the capsule slides into; in front of that there's an air chamber within the foam. The still air within this chamber gives greatly improved suppression of popping sounds (and other breath noise) than an equivalent amount of foam would do, plus it doesn't interfere with the pattern or frequency response of the capsule.

I'm no expert on wind and pop screens, but I wouldn't assume that the B 5 D was an ideal choice for any application other than the one it was designed for. It is a type of "close-talking guard" (B = "Bespechungsschutz") designed to resist air blasts from one direction only; it is not a windscreen; Schoeps' windscreens have part names that start with W (= "Windschutz").

--best regards

P.S.: In the photo, the capsules are mounted on thin active extension tubes. These work the same way as Colette active extension cables, except that they're mechanically rigid overall, with an angle adjustment at the capsule end. The microphone amplifier screws on to the other end of the tube, and the whole capsule+tube+amplifier assembly is (in this application) coupled to a vertical rod that extends from a circular, flat-bottomed floor stand. A foam pad underneath the base of the stand isolates it from vibrations in the stage floor.

(I'm a little surprised that no one else here seems to use these extension tubes for live recording. There's even a stereo version that's designed for M/S recording.)
« Last Edit: September 21, 2018, 05:50:48 PM by DSatz »
music > microphones > a recorder of some sort

Online goodcooker

• Trade Count: (25)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • goes to 11
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2018, 08:28:42 PM »
I'm a little surprised that no one else here seems to use these extension tubes for live recording.

Schoeps accessories are ridiculously expensive. That's why our little corner of the world has a vendor who sells compatible active cables and preamps that cost a fraction of the name brand stuff. 
Schoeps MK41 > nBob > PFA || MBHO KA300 > PFA
Aerco MP2 || Grace Lunatec V2 || RAD MS2
Marantz PMD706 || PMD620

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/goodcooker

"Are you the Zman?" - fan at Panic 10-08-10 Kansas City

"I don't know who left this perfectly good inflatable wook doll here, but if I'm blowing her up, I'm keeping her." -  hoppedup

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.149 seconds with 31 queries.
© 2002-2018 Taperssection.com