Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: iZotope Rx 7  (Read 6702 times)

Offline Gordon

• Trade Count: (22)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • my list
Re: iZotope Rx 7
« Reply #60 on: October 07, 2019, 06:38:43 PM »
That's weird.  I use RX7, but only got a Zoom F6 a few days ago.  I do all of my final editing and converting in Reaper, after adjusting levels and doing noise reduction and applause reduction in RX.

After this coming weekend when I have a couple concerts, I'll see if I can replicate this behavior.

thanks and yes odd!  like the screen shot shows RX says it's 24bit but saved file is still 32.  I did find today that wavelab 6 seems to handle and save 32bit float without issue.  I even mixed and saved the aud and sbd at 32bit. 
Microtech Gefell M20 or M21 > Nbob actives > Naiant PFA > Sound Devices MixPre-6 II

https://archive.org/details/fav-gordonlw

Offline jerryfreak

• Trade Count: (27)
  • I'm a llama! (taboot)
« Reply #61 on: October 07, 2019, 06:40:19 PM »
the old version of wavelab i used 20 years ago had a bit depth meter so you could see if your 24 bit data was really 24 bits and not 8 zero bits at the bottom.

i assume they still ahve that feature

does wavelab still show zero bits? maybe it zero bittted below 24

huh?
in:
small: MK4/4V > CMR > V3 or J.Williams Mod MicMan Jr or no pre at all >AD2K/R07/PCM-A10/Oade Warm 661/DR100-MKIII

smaller: 4061/4099 CORE or 4011/4018V> d:vice MMA

out:
home:Benchmark DAC1 HDR > Dynaudio BM15A active monitors
shop: Musical Fidelity VLink 192 Asynchronyous> coax> DAC1 > Rokit RP8 active monitors

Offline Gordon

• my list
« Reply #62 on: October 07, 2019, 06:45:41 PM »
the old version of wavelab i used 20 years ago had a bit depth meter so you could see if your 24 bit data was really 24 bits and not 8 zero bits at the bottom.

i assume they still ahve that feature

does wavelab still show zero bits? maybe it zero bittted below 24

huh?

yes but the meter only shows 24 not 32 but all 24 show on both the 32b float and the dithered version.
Microtech Gefell M20 or M21 > Nbob actives > Naiant PFA > Sound Devices MixPre-6 II

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (31)
« Reply #63 on: October 07, 2019, 07:30:23 PM »
OK, I tried it just now.  When I import a 32-bit float file in RX7 and then export as 24-bit with MBIT+ dither, the result is a 24-bit file as expected.

Gordon, I have no idea what's going on with your setup.  The only difference between you and I is that we are using different brand recorders, but that shouldn't matter at all.
DPA 4061 | Line Audio CM3 | Naiant X-Q | AT 853
Naiant PFAs | Shure FP24
Zoom F6 | Sony PCM-M10

Team Line Audio
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.    ///    If a composer could say what he had to say in words he would not bother trying to say it in music.
- Gustav Mahler

Offline Gordon

• my list
« Reply #64 on: October 07, 2019, 08:20:21 PM »
I'll mess with it later but I didn't "export".  That likely is my issue.  what I did was dither to 24bit and then did a "save as".  the saved file does show 24 when open in RX but the actual file is 32. 

Offline Gordon

• my list
« Reply #65 on: October 07, 2019, 08:54:22 PM »
so yes it was user error.  never used the export feature before as I've never dithered with it.  anyway when exporting and selecting MBIT+ there is no way to configure the dither settings (noise shaping, dither amount).  should I assume it pulls those from what I set in the actual dither utility?

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (31)
« Reply #66 on: October 08, 2019, 06:35:00 AM »
so yes it was user error.  never used the export feature before as I've never dithered with it.  anyway when exporting and selecting MBIT+ there is no way to configure the dither settings (noise shaping, dither amount).  should I assume it pulls those from what I set in the actual dither utility?

Yes, I believe so.  The same is true for RX's Batch Processing.  It uses the settings you had last configured in the modules you set for the batch process.
DPA 4061 | Line Audio CM3 | Naiant X-Q | AT 853
Naiant PFAs | Shure FP24
Zoom F6 | Sony PCM-M10

Team Line Audio
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.    ///    If a composer could say what he had to say in words he would not bother trying to say it in music.
- Gustav Mahler

Offline nassau73

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #67 on: October 08, 2019, 01:19:55 PM »
which settings could i use to deal with woohoo guy and his woohoo lady? heres ne of the more interspersed-with-music examples

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1WP6BxEAkH1Il3-k95chYOf5KJ7jUzd0D

Depending on how important a "clean" recording is to you, it can take quite awhile to get this done. I haven't found a "setting" that you can just input and everything gets cleaned  up.

The way I've been doing this is to turn down the waveform slider so you only see the spectrogram view. Right click the spectrogram and view the spectrogram settings. For me changing the color scheme to "Cyan To Orange" works best for seeing the offending patterns.

For my process, if there's also clapping around the whoo or whistle I'll use the De-Click plugin first. This allows you to see the pattern of the whistle or whoo more clearly (you're gonna want to get rid of the claps eventually anyway). I've found that setting DeClick for "Multiband (Random Clicks)" works best. A general setting for me is sensitivity 3.7 and width at 2.3.

The way I determined this was to highlight the clapping and check output clicks only. I previewed the selection and adjusted until the claps/clicks were either attenuated sufficiently or eliminated and didn't affect drums or the overall sound.

The real time consuming part comes with the whoos and whistles. Expand the spectrogram view as music as necessary so you can learn to see which squiggly lines are whistles and whoos. For me, the paintbrush tool with settings of between 8 and 12 (depending on the thickness of the pattern or how fine I need to get). Carefully "paint" over the offending pattern/squiggly line and either "Replace" or "Attenuate" using the Spectral Repair plugin. I've been using Bands at 512 Surrounding Region at 100 and Before and After at 0.

After I spent several hours working on this, I kinda learned that sometimes you'll want to Attenuate the offending noise first and then Replace or vice versa.

An important thing to also watch for are the harmonics. The Whoos are usually just a single horseshoe shaped pattern. But you'll see whistles that are a loud, bright squiggle and then several fainter squiggles up above. If you don't get those as well, you get kind of a hiss sound.

A general intro to Spectral Repair can be seen at:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QsZSuK6GczA

BTW, as Izotope and someone else on this board has pointed out, sometimes you'll want to render your effect several times. Like for Attenuate, you'll knock down most of the offending noise on the first render and even more on the next.

Once you get the hang of it, you can paint the loudest part of between song cheering and attenuate that. You can also paint some talking and test to see if that helps any.

Finally, one thing I just started to mess with in Spectral Repair is "Pattern". On a recent recording, a woman next to me quite loudly asked me to watch her drink while she left her seat for a bit. By Lasooing her talk and using pattern, I got satisfactory results of having her talking replaced. Unfortunately, she also nudged me and the mics prior to her request so the recording has a huge "clunk" that sounds like a bad edit or skip. Just gonna have to live with that on ;-)

Offline Gordon

• my list
« Reply #68 on: October 08, 2019, 04:34:46 PM »

Finally, one thing I just started to mess with in Spectral Repair is "Pattern". On a recent recording, a woman next to me quite loudly asked me to watch her drink while she left her seat for a bit. By Lasooing her talk and using pattern, I got satisfactory results of having her talking replaced. Unfortunately, she also nudged me and the mics prior to her request so the recording has a huge "clunk" that sounds like a bad edit or skip. Just gonna have to live with that on ;-)

Most of my workflow is similar to yours but I've never tried the "pattern" till now.  Seems to work pretty well to tone down nearby talkers!  Have just started this file so we'll see but thanks for the tip!

You couldn't attenuate the "clunk" out?
« Last Edit: October 08, 2019, 04:36:21 PM by Gordon »

Offline Gordon

• my list
« Reply #69 on: October 08, 2019, 05:27:42 PM »
wow!  while it does not work every time it's pretty damn cool!   :clapping: :cheers:  not just for speech...

Offline jerryfreak

• I'm a llama! (taboot)
« Reply #70 on: October 08, 2019, 08:15:53 PM »
this may be the Dolby D our 70s tapes were lacking!
in:
small: MK4/4V > CMR > V3 or J.Williams Mod MicMan Jr or no pre at all >AD2K/R07/PCM-A10/Oade Warm 661/DR100-MKIII

out:
shop: Musical Fidelity VLink 192 Asynchronyous> coax> DAC1 > Rokit RP8 active monitors

Offline nassau73

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #71 on: October 08, 2019, 09:40:33 PM »

Most of my workflow is similar to yours but I've never tried the "pattern" till now.  Seems to work pretty well to tone down nearby talkers!  Have just started this file so we'll see but thanks for the tip!

You couldn't attenuate the "clunk" out?

Trouble is - it wasn't just the "clunk". This is working on a recording of Jason Bonham opening for Peter Frampton at Sandia Amphitheater. The song where this happened is in "Black Dog" and the house mix was very heavy on the bass. So where the "clunk" was, right where another beat of the song kinda happened at the same time. So when "pattern" eliminates the voice, it sounds like the sound just "jumps" as in a bad edit.

So, this is to me one of those situations where you decide to go for the best of ywo possible evils when dealing with a simple two track recording - I don't hear the talking but the "jump" passes so quickly, I can tolerate that in my headphones.

Offline nassau73

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #72 on: October 08, 2019, 10:19:29 PM »
I don't want this from diverge from the discussion about using "Pattern" in RX7. So I'm posting this just to get that back to the discussion, 'cause this is one of those features we can all benefit from but are one of the least documented.

Offline jerryfreak

• I'm a llama! (taboot)
« Reply #73 on: October 12, 2019, 04:00:19 PM »

Vinyl declick with defaults for claps is worth the cost of rx all on its own/

its great for between songs but when i use it for someone clapping along it pulls out the snare a little bit. any help with sensitivity settings for this?

in:

out:

Offline Gordon

• my list
« Reply #74 on: October 12, 2019, 04:19:04 PM »

Vinyl declick with defaults for claps is worth the cost of rx all on its own/

its great for between songs but when i use it for someone clapping along it pulls out the snare a little bit. any help with sensitivity settings for this?

on the vinyl setting I have not noticed this.  In fact I've gotten to where I run it on whole aud files and to my ears I can't tell a difference except the annoying claps are gone or greatly reduced.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.152 seconds with 57 queries.
© 2002-2019 Taperssection.com