Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: iZotope RX - very clever Spectral Denoise trick  (Read 1895 times)

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (30)
  • Needs to get out more...
iZotope RX - very clever Spectral Denoise trick
« on: June 28, 2018, 10:16:39 PM »
This is a very clever technique for grabbing a clean noise profile for Spectral Denoise that isn't a dead silent background.  Only works with a quiet audience.
https://twitter.com/TheBaronHimself/status/1012455015141654528

Here's an @iZotopeInc RX de-noise technique:
No clear noise sample? No problem.
1) Remove notes that are ringing out at the end of the track with de-hum.
2) Sample the residual noise with de-noise.
3) Undo de-hum.
4) De-noise.
Worked super well on an acoustic jazz master I did.
DPA 4061 | Line Audio CM3 | Naiant X-Q | AT 853
Naiant PFAs | Shure FP24
Tascam DR-70D JWMod | Sony PCM-M10

Tascam DR-70D FAQ
Team Line Audio
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.    ///    If a composer could say what he had to say in words he would not bother trying to say it in music.
- Gustav Mahler

Offline yousef

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: iZotope RX - very clever Spectral Denoise trick
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2018, 03:09:31 AM »
Great idea. Many thanks!
music>other stuff>ears
my recordings: http://db.etree.org/yousef
http://www.manchestertaper.co.uk
twitter: @manchestertaper

Offline Ben Turnbull

• Don't ask me about Audacity...
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • A Clark Nova ate my lunch... Don't ask, just pee
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2018, 11:25:53 PM »
 :clapping:
Only seeing two shows a month now...
-My name is Ben, and I'm an AQhaulic ranting hysterically in my dotage ...
Read "Toward the End of Time" by Updike to know my name sake.
Official Archivist for Jazz Central Studios, MinniMN
DPA4021/SKM140/NakCM1k/ADK A51s/Countryman B3/ATes943/SPc4(och)/S'lux s502... >
TinyBox OT> PCM-M10/DR-680/R4/T+mod UA5 needs attention

Online EmRR

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
    • ElectroMagnetic Radiation Recorders
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2018, 11:11:32 AM »
Oh yeah, that's good. 

Mics: DPA 4060 w/MPS 6030 PSU/DAD6001/DAD4099, Neumann KM 131, KMR 81i, Oktava MK 012, Sennheiser MKH 105, MKH 20, MKH 30, MKH 40, MKH 800 TWIN, lots of other studio appropriate choices
Recorders: Zoom F8n, Sony MZ-R50, portable MOTU based multitrack DAW for client work

Online Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (13)
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2018, 11:28:49 AM »
Cool. I've wondered about doing something like this to generate a "clean" noise sample when it's difficult to isolate one.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<<

Offline ricola

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2018, 04:45:56 AM »
3) Undo de-hum.
4) De-noise.

....unfortunately I don't understand that (maybe english is not my first language).
I use Izotope RX7 and taped many Jazz Masters...would be interested to try this method.
Anyone who could explain this a little bit better?

@voltronic: ...The Declick module is also very handy for reducing applause sections.
Can you tell me a little bit more about the Declick module settings for doing that??

Thanks...
« Last Edit: July 27, 2018, 04:50:17 AM by ricola »

Offline voltronic

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2018, 03:47:02 PM »
3) Undo de-hum.
4) De-noise.

....unfortunately I don't understand that (maybe english is not my first language).
I use Izotope RX7 and taped many Jazz Masters...would be interested to try this method.
Anyone who could explain this a little bit better?

@voltronic: ...The Declick module is also very handy for reducing applause sections.
Can you tell me a little bit more about the Declick module settings for doing that??

Thanks...

This procedure is only if you can't find a long enough section of "clean" background noise to load into the Spectral Denoise module.

Find a place in your recording where the background is quiet with no audience noise, but there the tail end of a note / chord being sustained.  Look for straight, flat horizontal lines in the spectrum.  Use the de-hum module on that section to remove those sustained notes, leaving just the background behind.  That clean background is what you can now use as a noise profile for the Spectral Denoise module, by highlighting that section, opening Spectral Denoise, and clicking Learn.

NOTE: I have learned the hard way that once you find a clean noise profile, you should export it as a separate file in case the program crashes while you are working and you lose it.  I HIGHLY recommend doing this.

Once your noise profile is "Learned", you Undo back to the point before you used the De-Hum module to remove those tails of notes.  Then you run Spectral Denoise.  My starting point settings for RX6 are the Maximum Quality preset, and the Amount set to 6.

---

As far as Declick, I usually just highlight a section of clapping and use the Vinyl Record preset, sometimes tweaking a couple settings, but often leaving it as-is.  I usually use Declick on sections of full audience applause between songs to lower those peaks down so I can raise the overall level of the entire concert.  For intermittent random claps or other sudden peaks during the music, I use a soft limiter on just the offending noises.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2018, 06:55:50 PM by voltronic »
Naiant PFAs | Shure FP24

Tascam DR-70D FAQ
Team Line Audio
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.    ///    If a composer could say what he had to say in words he would not bother trying to say it in music.
- Gustav Mahler

Online EmRR

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
    • ElectroMagnetic Radiation Recorders
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2018, 01:52:21 PM »

NOTE: I have learned the hard way that once you find a clean noise profile, you should export it as a separate file in case the program crashes while you are working and you lose it.  I HIGHLY recommend doing this.

I like that idea as a basic archiving move too, then someone in the future has something to go on to know what you used. 
Mics: DPA 4060 w/MPS 6030 PSU/DAD6001/DAD4099, Neumann KM 131, KMR 81i, Oktava MK 012, Sennheiser MKH 105, MKH 20, MKH 30, MKH 40, MKH 800 TWIN, lots of other studio appropriate choices
Recorders: Zoom F8n, Sony MZ-R50, portable MOTU based multitrack DAW for client work

Offline voltronic

« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2018, 06:49:27 PM »

I like that idea as a basic archiving move too, then someone in the future has something to go on to know what you used.

I never thought of it that way, but great point.  Besides not losing your noise sample, the other reason I do this is in case I find later on in the post process that I was over-zealous in my amount of noise reduction, I can just go back to the non-RX generation, apply the noise profile, and go with a different setting.
Naiant PFAs | Shure FP24

Tascam DR-70D FAQ
Team Line Audio
- Gustav Mahler

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.169 seconds with 36 queries.
© 2002-2019 Taperssection.com