Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: FOB mics clamped at 4', 20' back in a GA crowd...  (Read 135 times)

Offline jagraham

• Trade Count: (20)
  • Needs to get out more...
FOB mics clamped at 4', 20' back in a GA crowd...
« on: July 10, 2018, 09:35:21 AM »
So the thread title describes my setup at STS9 at CrossroadsKC over the weekend. When I got to the venue, the venue security director made me take the stand back to the car, saying I could do any type of audio recording I wanted, just couldn't have a tripod. I'm told by both him and the light technician that this is actually in the band's policy, which is weird because I've run with a stand before. Anyway, the best option I found for clamping was the rear corner of the VIP barricade up front. The mics were pointed up and above the stacks. So basically my mics are a little below 4', 20' back, right in the thick of a rowdy STS9 summertime crowd. Sounds like it will be awful, right? The recording is actually stunning! I couldn't believe how good it came out being down in the crowd, right next to people dancing and enjoying the show. Of course there is some phasing with people moving around, and a couple times people did have conversations right near the mics. Overall, people were very cool about it, and the crowd interference is nothing more than it would have been had the mics been on a stand 6' high in the same location. Check them out on archive below.

Anyone have much experience with this? Like I said, I didn't really have high hopes for this recording but it came out well.

https://archive.org/details/sts92018-07-06.cm300s.cp1s.16bit
https://archive.org/details/tauk2018-07-06.cm300s.cp1s.16bit < The TAUK page on LMA has a pic of my setup.
Mics: Nak CM-300s, Nak CM-100s, CP-1s, CP-2s, AT-853s(Cards, Hypers, Omnis) CA-14s(Cards, Omnis)
Pres: CA STC-9200, CA-UBB
Recorders: Tascam DR-70D, DR-2D, Edirol R-09

ISO: 1 Teac ME-120, CP-3 Caps, AT-853 Subcard Caps

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.111 seconds with 28 queries.
© 2002-2018 Taperssection.com