Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: What are your "holy grail" mics?  (Read 2983 times)

Online Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (13)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: What are your "holy grail" mics?
« Reply #45 on: August 28, 2018, 01:17:11 PM »

starting to love this one...

^^^^
What kind of mic is that muj?

A search turned up B9 Audio- https://b9audio.com/. Looks to be a Chinese microphone manufacturer emulating Schoeps. 

Their microphones look attractive, the published response graphs look good and the samples on the site sound nice, but not much info there otherwise.  Here's a cut-sheet on the Blumlien stereo microphone muj appears to be using- https://img1.wsimg.com/blobby/go/48a8cb31-a4e2-44b6-a8d3-b3e77664ad9f/downloads/1ccqt2plq_835666.pdf

In addition to that and various cardioids, omnis, a supercard and and shotgun, there is a native B-format ambisonic microphone and an interesting emulation of the Schoeps KFM360 called the VR Ball- https://img1.wsimg.com/blobby/go/48a8cb31-a4e2-44b6-a8d3-b3e77664ad9f/downloads/1ci1clsft_157637.pdf.

It is similar to KFM360 but includes the addition of a 2nd pair of fig-8's, vertically-oriented in addition to the horizontally-oriented 8's coincidently arranged with the flush-mounted omnis on either side of the sphere, as well as a front-center microphone position which apparently may be swapped between various polar patterns.  Making a total channel count of 7 recorded channels rather than 4 if all microphones are in use.  This one is interesting since the KFM360 has long represented a holy grail microphone for me (which is actually attainable, if not by myself), which has influenced my thinking about live music recording and the development of my oddball mic techniques. I dreamed up pretty much this same combination a few times over the years while thinking about that stuff and it's interesting to see such a flight of fancy appear as an actual product!

Hoping muj will chime in with more info and details on the qualities of the Blumlien stereo mic..
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<<

Offline edtyre

• Trade Count: (58)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Team Philly " No Excuses, Just Tapes"
« Reply #46 on: August 28, 2018, 01:30:09 PM »
Having a schoeps capsule (including the mighty mk6's) for every recording
situation is my holy grail.
music>mics>pre>recorder

Offline heathen

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #47 on: August 28, 2018, 01:43:04 PM »
A search turned up B9 Audio- https://b9audio.com/.

Not to derail things too much, but (despite their web site leaving a lot to be desired) these are intriguing. 
Mics: Core Sound TetraMic | AT4031s | AT AE5100s | AT853s (C/SC) | Line Audio CM3s | DPA 4061s | CA-14 omnis | Studio Projects CS5
Pre: CA9200
Decks: Zoom F8 | Roland R-05 | Tascam DR-2d

Offline Walstib62

• Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #48 on: August 28, 2018, 06:35:33 PM »

Offline muj

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Certifiable Nevaton Fluffer
« Reply #49 on: August 29, 2018, 04:30:10 AM »

^^^^

A search turned up B9 Audio- https://b9audio.com/. Looks to be a Chinese microphone manufacturer emulating Schoeps. 

Their microphones look attractive, the published response graphs look good and the samples on the site sound nice, but not much info there otherwise.  Here's a cut-sheet on the Blumlien stereo microphone muj appears to be using- https://img1.wsimg.com/blobby/go/48a8cb31-a4e2-44b6-a8d3-b3e77664ad9f/downloads/1ccqt2plq_835666.pdf

In addition to that and various cardioids, omnis, a supercard and and shotgun, there is a native B-format ambisonic microphone and an interesting emulation of the Schoeps KFM360 called the VR Ball- https://img1.wsimg.com/blobby/go/48a8cb31-a4e2-44b6-a8d3-b3e77664ad9f/downloads/1ci1clsft_157637.pdf.

It is similar to KFM360 but includes the addition of a 2nd pair of fig-8's, vertically-oriented in addition to the horizontally-oriented 8's coincidently arranged with the flush-mounted omnis on either side of the sphere, as well as a front-center microphone position which apparently may be swapped between various polar patterns.  Making a total channel count of 7 recorded channels rather than 4 if all microphones are in use.  This one is interesting since the KFM360 has long represented a holy grail microphone for me (which is actually attainable, if not by myself), which has influenced my thinking about live music recording and the development of my oddball mic techniques. I dreamed up pretty much this same combination a few times over the years while thinking about that stuff and it's interesting to see such a flight of fancy appear as an actual product!

Hoping muj will chime in with more info and details on the qualities of the Blumlien stereo mic..

Taiwanese Company..big difference ( Taiwan has a western approach to QC)

The mic is only 830 usd..but they sound scaringly like schoeps...

I use mine With a Pearl ELM-C as a "mid" mic… i.e adjust the Level mid channel post Production, to correct phase or add more body to sound..etc

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #50 on: August 31, 2018, 06:40:53 AM »

^^^^

There's a thread on GS about these mics with the manufacturer commenting.
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/remote-possibilities-in-acoustic-music-and-location-recording/1143093-1-2-quot-condenser-blumlein-stereo-comments.html
DPA 4061 | Line Audio CM3 | Naiant X-Q
Naiant PFAs | Shure FP24
Tascam DR-70D JWMod | Sony PCM-M10

Tascam DR-70D FAQ
Team Line Audio
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.    ///    If a composer could say what he had to say in words he would not bother trying to say it in music.
- Gustav Mahler

Offline kindms

• Trade Count: (5)
    • The Breakfast
« Reply #51 on: September 13, 2018, 07:18:30 PM »
I have always wanted an AKG C422 and the like

also that schoeps M/S deathstar setup

Fairy tales can come true, they can happy to you.....

Needless to say I am PUMPED to get out and run this bad boy!
AKG414 XLS/ST, AKG ck61, ck22, >nBob colettes >PFA > V3, SD MixPre >  TCM-Mod Tascam HDP2, Sony M10
Little Bear tube Pre >Outlaw Audio 2200 Monoblocks > VR-2's

Online Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (13)
« Reply #52 on: September 14, 2018, 09:08:54 AM »
Nice!
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<<

Offline seethreepo

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Rub it and see
« Reply #53 on: September 14, 2018, 10:26:25 AM »
I wan mics that shoot poison darts at talkers within a 5 ft. Radius.
Mics: Sound Professionals - SP-CMC-8 , Studio Projects SPC4, Beyerdynamic ck930 , Marcsounds binaurals
Pre amps: Beyerdynamic MV-1 ,  Naiant IPA
Recorders:  Edirol R-44, Edirol R-09HR, Roland  R-05, Tascam  Dr-2d

Offline heathen

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #54 on: September 14, 2018, 10:48:50 AM »
Only five feet?
Mics: Core Sound TetraMic | AT4031s | AT AE5100s | AT853s (C/SC) | Line Audio CM3s | DPA 4061s | CA-14 omnis | Studio Projects CS5
Pre: CA9200
Decks: Zoom F8 | Roland R-05 | Tascam DR-2d

Offline relefunt

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • kindfulness
    • Milwaukee Taper
« Reply #55 on: September 16, 2018, 11:05:57 PM »
These ones, of course!
Beyerdynamic MC930, Line CM3 and OM1, CA11+14, and AT853.
FP24, Femto, CA9100, CA9200.
MixPre6, R44, DR70D, M10, R05.
milwaukeetaper.com

Offline adrianf74

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #56 on: September 17, 2018, 04:05:57 PM »
These ones, of course!

:clapping:   I was gonna say.... LOL

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.208 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2018 Taperssection.com