Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Recording a pedal harp... any help?  (Read 177 times)

Online darby

• Trade Count: (79)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Support artists and venues that allow recording
Recording a pedal harp... any help?
« on: August 04, 2018, 07:44:23 PM »
My step sister is getting married in 2 weeks and is having a pedal harp player perform outdoors at her wedding.
I wanted to do it and she said no, I need to relax that day and not have to work.
Well she realized the importance of documenting the music and said I could since I want to do it as a challenge.
I have little to no experience in this type of micing other than what I have read and basic common sense.
I have Schoeps mk4 and mk22 caps with NBobs and a pair of AKG 460/a60/ck22s that I was going to use.
Depending on the performer, I will set the mk22s close and the mk4s about 3ft away in stereo configs plus use the ck22 omnis on each side within 3ft.
Does this sound feasible considering there will be no with reflective walls, and I can use any, or all in combination?
I know I will most likely have to kind of do a soundcheck while setting up, and adjust accordingly.
If anyone has any experience, or advice feel free to post... thanks!
« Last Edit: August 05, 2018, 06:04:52 PM by darby »

Online darby

• Trade Count: (79)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Support artists and venues that allow recording
Re: Recording a pedal harp... any help?
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2018, 06:07:02 PM »
the temperature that day will be way too warm, so it has been moved inside
that will make things a little easier

Offline EmRR

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
    • ElectroMagnetic Radiation Recorders
Re: Recording a pedal harp... any help?
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2018, 06:53:36 PM »
It sounds like a lot of options (6 mics if I'm reading it right?) within a pretty close distance, I'm assuming you won't be using it all, but making decisions in post.  Not an instrument I've had to mic, and a large one in an enclosed space with I assume a fair bit of ambient interference from the service and guests.  I might consider one stereo pair on one side, and the second pair on the other side to maximize their distance from one another, hopefully cutting down on comb filtering possibilities.  Equidistance may still cause some, but I'd bet on room reflection differences swamping all else.  Probably worth having them at different heights to create  different floor reflection paths.   I'd probably have the omni's closest, and studying grand piano in-lid placement is probably useful. 

But what do I know!  Hopefully that gives some ideas, rather than confuses.  It's a big instrument with a spread out sound that somewhat demands distance to coalesce, and distance is likely something you won't get much of in this case, at least not useful distance lacking interference. 

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.137 seconds with 30 queries.
© 2002-2018 Taperssection.com