Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Help diagnose a mic issue  (Read 249 times)

Offline dynamicalories

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Regular
Help diagnose a mic issue
« on: December 07, 2018, 08:52:08 AM »
I had a weird issue last night with my MBHO cards with an active setup into a Naiant PFA into a MixPre-6. Noise in the right channel starts at about 58 seconds. Any idea what this could be? I plugged the mics in this morning and all sounds fine. The board feed I got last night also sounds perfectly fine. I checked all the connections which seem to be fine. I had to contend with a tight area by the soundboard last night with a liquid light show going on. Did my bag get jostled and a connection came loose?

https://soundcloud.com/nyctaper/cave2018-12-06unionpool-mbho/s-S5W2r

Offline morst

• Archivist: Camper Van Beethoven & Cracker
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • ISO ALL archival Cracker / CVB / Monks Of Doom etc
    • Soundscape Preservation Society
Re: Help diagnose a mic issue
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2018, 03:08:24 PM »
Sounds like an intermittent bad cable on right channel. Check that all three pins of the XLR are connected to their opposite number and nothing else.

If the cable checks out OK then it's either the mic or the other gear.
Teams: Neumann, Bay Area Tapers, Multitrack, Pioneertown Tapers, Mac Geeks, Cassette Masters, Poster Collectors, Alumni of teams St Louis, Upper Midwest & Milwaukee / Southern Wisco

Offline Ben Turnbull

• Don't ask me about Audacity...
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • A Clark Nova ate my lunch... Don't ask, just pee
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2018, 02:19:27 PM »
Is that RFI? Did it match anything in the light show? If you were near a strong AC source, could there be some "induction" interference? I'm not an EE so can't be more helpful.

To me, if it was a cable connection, and you were moving the bag and gear around to the same extent your interference presents in the sample, then I'd indeed be checking the hardware. If not, then I'd be trying to figure out what external sources are in play.

In my short experience, cable noise is generally spiky and quick, not persistent tones. I could be wrong.  :shrug:

Good Luck
Who came first, Dave King or Zack´╗┐ Galifianakis?...
-My name is Ben, and I'm an AQhaulic ranting hysterically in my dotage
Official Archivist for Jazz Central Studios, MinniMN
DPA4021/SKM140/NakCM1k/ADK A51s/Countryman B3/ATes943/SPc4/och... > TinyBox OT> PCM-M10/DR-680/R4/T+mod UA5 needs attention

Offline dynamicalories

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2018, 10:46:04 AM »
Thanks guys. I haven't been able to recreate the issue. everything seems like it's checking out now. I'm gonna chalk it up to being a bad connection somewhere and hope it doesn't happen again.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.193 seconds with 32 queries.
© 2002-2018 Taperssection.com