Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Audition or Audacity?  (Read 3384 times)

Offline nassau73

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Regular
Re: Audition or Audacity?
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2019, 10:51:06 PM »
Audacity has some great functionality. In my opinion, Audition has a more "refined" interface.

Another benefit of Audition is the number of standard plugins that are included. Many of which are from Izotope.

Although I don't recall the Audacity functionality on this ability, I like the Audition "Mastering Rack". Here you can stack the various plugins and turn them on and off to hear how the gamut of the effects you are using affect the final sound. Once you are happy, you can "save" (although other programs say "render").

Over the last several months, I bought Izotope RX7 Standard and added the Ozone 8 Elements plugin. To my ears on my speakers, it seems that the Izotope programs sound a bit "cleaner".

While in the past I alternated between Audacity and Audition (depending on needs), these days I tend to use RX7 first and touch up with Audition (or vice versa depending on plugins needed) if necessary. The difference is that Audition has the "mastering rack" ability while with Izotope you have to render each manipulation before you move on to the next. (from what I've been reading, if you buy the full Izotope suite, you'd be able to approximate the mastering rack capability. However, I'm not studio recording - mixing instruments in separate tracks - all I need is post for a simple stereo live audience capture.

Offline Ben Turnbull

• Don't ask me about Audacity...
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • A Clark Nova ate my lunch... Don't ask, just pee
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2019, 09:46:00 AM »
^^ and ^, good input and appreciated.

When I use the Open Appended tool it's invariably into and empty track and the goal is to join/combine all the previously separate tracks. The trouble I tried to describe is that between marking the files (in an explorer window) and the importation of them, they will almost always be out of order for some reason. I don't save the new single file with markers either. In many cases I'm working my own file sets and have a cue sheet to re-track any work I want to save... Primarily because I don't know if Audition will save to individual files based on a list of markers or what not.

That's been my experience.

I totally agree with the utility of the multi track mode of Audition. I have more than once used that mode on a single file just to employ the tools I want to use in a Rack format.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2019, 09:57:47 AM by Ben Turnbull »
Only seeing two shows a month now...
-My name is Ben, and I'm an AQhaulic ranting hysterically in my dotage ...
Read "Toward the End of Time" by Updike to know my name sake.
Official Archivist for Jazz Central Studios, MinniMN
DPA4021/SKM140/NakCM1k/ADK A51s/Countryman B3/ATes943/SPc4(och)/S'lux s502... >
TinyBox OT> PCM-M10/DR-680/R4/T+mod UA5 needs attention

Offline admkrk

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm an idiot
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2019, 05:58:32 PM »
... with Izotope you have to render each manipulation before you move on to the next. ...

Just open the module chain, the very first module, and add modules to your heart's content.
"the faster you go ahead, the behinder you get"

"If you can drink ram's piss, fuck, you can drink anything"

Offline Ben Turnbull

• Don't ask me about Audacity...
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • A Clark Nova ate my lunch... Don't ask, just pee
« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2019, 10:44:42 PM »
ah, you all think I'm adding one file at a time? No, I mark the entire file set as in a copy-paste move. That's what fails to "sort out" as the appending takes off.

I'm probably not using it as designed so this "fault" is likely to be expected.
Only seeing two shows a month now...
-My name is Ben, and I'm an AQhaulic ranting hysterically in my dotage ...
Read "Toward the End of Time" by Updike to know my name sake.
Official Archivist for Jazz Central Studios, MinniMN
DPA4021/SKM140/NakCM1k/ADK A51s/Countryman B3/ATes943/SPc4(och)/S'lux s502... >
TinyBox OT> PCM-M10/DR-680/R4/T+mod UA5 needs attention

Offline anr

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2019, 08:30:34 AM »
For audio, Sonic Foundry Soundforge 6. Most of the rest could learn a lot from the intuitive interface, especially Wavelab and anything by Magix. Audacity - it's free for a reason.  Each to his own!

Offline bluegrass_brad

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Old and in the way.
« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2019, 06:49:54 PM »
just wanted to add, and it may have already been touched on, that the Audition version found in the recent CC versions has a tool very similar to the one in Izotope called Sound Removal where you can select a sample (like a clap for instance) and it will go and remove all of them. Works very very well for getting rid of "woooooos" and claps and such. I was stoked to discover they had added that feature.
"That was back in a time when society was not quite ready for this music. Anyone remember those days? That's when punk rock was dangerous, right?  You couldn't walk into a mall and get your little pussy pierced, and your little Doc Martin boots and your crazy color for your hair.  You walk down the street with blue hair you was gonna get in a fight with about 5 angry construction workers, or the local college football team, rednecks or cops. Sometimes they kicked our ass, but you know what?  Sometimes we beat the fuck out of em"  - Mike Ness, Social Distortion

Offline shadowfax1007

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
    • BNELive
« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2019, 07:16:14 PM »
For people using Audition, what do you find your general mixing process to be?
www.bnelive.net

SP-CMC-2 (Cardioid, Sub-Cardioid) > SP-SPSB-10 > Olympus LS-10

Offline spyder9

• Trade Count: (73)
  • "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
« Reply #22 on: June 20, 2019, 07:42:05 AM »
Is the adobe product free, open source, and runs on mac, linux and pc?

Audacity meets those criteria.

Audition 3.0 was givin' away for FREE years ago by Adobe.  This happened when they did the major redesign and moved their products towards Cloud computing.  Many of us here jumped on that giveaway.  fyi

Offline morst

• Trade Count: (2)
  • ISO ALL archival Cracker / CVB / Monks Of Doom etc
    • Soundscape Preservation Society
« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2019, 02:59:00 PM »
Is the adobe product free, open source, and runs on mac, linux and pc?

Audacity meets those criteria.

Audition 3.0 was givin' away for FREE years ago by Adobe.  This happened when they did the major redesign and moved their products towards Cloud computing.  Many of us here jumped on that giveaway.  fyi

Yeah, I got the free photoshop. Was Audition ever free again? Photoshop was not, and the free one was old when they gave it away.
Teams: Neumann, Bay Area Tapers, Multitrack, Pioneertown Tapers, Mac Geeks, Cassette Masters, Poster Collectors, Alumni of teams St Louis, Upper Midwest & Milwaukee / Southern Wisco

Offline audBall

• Trade Count: (36)
« Reply #24 on: June 23, 2019, 04:12:14 PM »
Yeah, I got the free photoshop. Was Audition ever free again? Photoshop was not, and the free one was old when they gave it away.

It was never released again and technically wasn't 'free'.  The link in my post on the previous page has again expired.  The release of all the CS2 products was because Adobe was implementing their CC subscription services and was allowing those who had previously purchased CS2 products to maintain current use of those products since the CS2 activation server was no longer being supported.  However, see the Wayback Machine link below.  Click "Accept", then select your language of choice.  Audition 3.0 is listed amongst many others.

I should point out that Adobe's disclaimer states:

Adobe strongly advises against running unsupported and outdated software. Only customers who legitimately purchased CS2 or Acrobat 7 and need to maintain their current use of these products may use the serial numbers provided during the download.

https://web.archive.org/web/20181205083256/https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-suite/kb/cs2-product-downloads.html?promoid=19SCDRQK
akg ck61/62/63/77(c577)|naiant.pfa, dpa smk-sc4061 
lunatec v2, mma-a d:vice, mma-6000
edirol-r44(ocm), sony pcm-m10,-d100

PISO akg nbob cables

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.171 seconds with 37 queries.
© 2002-2019 Taperssection.com