Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Anyone have a bunch of files disappear from external hard drive  (Read 1110 times)

Offline Ben Turnbull

• Don't ask me about Audacity...
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • A Clark Nova ate my lunch... Don't ask, just pee
Re: Anyone have a bunch of files disappear from external hard drive
« Reply #15 on: December 26, 2018, 04:14:37 PM »
'Glad you were able to recover. 

In the interim, one of my WD passports gave me a scare. I spent some of Christmas day running a scan and recovery diagnostic. Turns out nothing was found bad  but I guess I'll go invest in a new full size drive and case and carry on.  It's time.
Only seeing two shows a month now...
-My name is Ben, and I'm an AQhaulic ranting hysterically in my dotage
Official Archivist for Jazz Central Studios, MinniMN
DPA4021/SKM140/NakCM1k/ADK A51s/Countryman B3/ATes943/SPc4/och... > TinyBox OT> PCM-M10/DR-680/R4/T+mod UA5 needs attention

Offline unidentified

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #16 on: December 26, 2018, 09:44:49 PM »

In the interim, one of my WD passports gave me a scare. I spent some of Christmas day running a scan and recovery diagnostic. Turns out nothing was found bad  but I guess I'll go invest in a new full size drive and case and carry on.  It's time.

I copy all run of the mill stuff to at least two external HDs. Unique stuff I copy to five or six HDs, including one typically stored outside of my house. 

Offline morst

• Archivist: Camper Van Beethoven & Cracker
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • ISO ALL archival Cracker / CVB / Monks Of Doom etc
    • Soundscape Preservation Society
« Reply #17 on: December 26, 2018, 11:07:47 PM »

With any external drive, the likelihood of failure in the CASE is more likely than a failure of the drive itself. WHEN this happens, you might be able to save your data by swapping the raw drive into a similar case. There are specifics to this, like matching models and firmware versions, but the basics are pretty straightforward.

A note though- many of the newer compact portable USB drives that have come out in recent years don't have a proper SATA connection, but some can still be swapped into a similar case to save the data. That said, once I figured this out, I switched back to full-size drives in full-size external cases.
Teams: Neumann, Bay Area Tapers, Multitrack, Pioneertown Tapers, Mac Geeks, Cassette Masters, Poster Collectors, Alumni of teams St Louis, Upper Midwest & Milwaukee / Southern Wisco

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.127 seconds with 30 queries.
© 2002-2019 Taperssection.com