Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Anyone have a bunch of files disappear from external hard drive  (Read 1885 times)

Offline Ben Turnbull

• Don't ask me about Audacity...
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • A Clark Nova ate my lunch... Don't ask, just pee
Re: Anyone have a bunch of files disappear from external hard drive
« Reply #15 on: December 26, 2018, 04:14:37 PM »
'Glad you were able to recover. 

In the interim, one of my WD passports gave me a scare. I spent some of Christmas day running a scan and recovery diagnostic. Turns out nothing was found bad  but I guess I'll go invest in a new full size drive and case and carry on.  It's time.
Only seeing two shows a month now...
-My name is Ben, and I'm an AQhaulic ranting hysterically in my dotage ...
Read "Toward the End of Time" by Updike to know my name sake.
Official Archivist for Jazz Central Studios, MinniMN
DPA4021/SKM140/NakCM1k/ADK A51s/Countryman B3/ATes943/SPc4(och)/S'lux s502... >
TinyBox OT> PCM-M10/DR-680/R4/T+mod UA5 needs attention

Offline unidentified

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #16 on: December 26, 2018, 09:44:49 PM »

In the interim, one of my WD passports gave me a scare. I spent some of Christmas day running a scan and recovery diagnostic. Turns out nothing was found bad  but I guess I'll go invest in a new full size drive and case and carry on.  It's time.

I copy all run of the mill stuff to at least two external HDs. Unique stuff I copy to five or six HDs, including one typically stored outside of my house. 

Offline morst

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • ISO ALL archival Cracker / CVB / Monks Of Doom etc
    • Soundscape Preservation Society
« Reply #17 on: December 26, 2018, 11:07:47 PM »

With any external drive, the likelihood of failure in the CASE is more likely than a failure of the drive itself. WHEN this happens, you might be able to save your data by swapping the raw drive into a similar case. There are specifics to this, like matching models and firmware versions, but the basics are pretty straightforward.

A note though- many of the newer compact portable USB drives that have come out in recent years don't have a proper SATA connection, but some can still be swapped into a similar case to save the data. That said, once I figured this out, I switched back to full-size drives in full-size external cases.
Teams: Neumann, Bay Area Tapers, Multitrack, Pioneertown Tapers, Mac Geeks, Cassette Masters, Poster Collectors, Alumni of teams St Louis, Upper Midwest & Milwaukee / Southern Wisco

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.119 seconds with 30 queries.
© 2002-2019 Taperssection.com