Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Sony PCM-M10 vs Tascam DR-05  (Read 576 times)

Offline kennyb

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Sony PCM-M10 vs Tascam DR-05
« on: December 24, 2018, 03:13:03 PM »
I've had my Sony M10 since 2011. It's been great, but I'm considering selling it and buying the Tascam DR-05, since the Sonys are getting crazy prices on ebay and the Tascam is just $79 new. There are probably some comparisons around but I couldn't locate anything definitive. The recorders are very similar in a lot of ways (2 AA batts, omni mics)... I record some live shows and a lot of outdoor ambient sounds, so noise floor could be a consideration. Anyway thanks for any recommendations or data points, or if this thread is already out there please point me to it. Cheers

Offline morst

• Archivist: Camper Van Beethoven & Cracker
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • ISO ALL archival Cracker / CVB / Monks Of Doom etc
    • Soundscape Preservation Society
Re: Sony PCM-M10 vs Tascam DR-05
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2018, 03:33:42 PM »
do you use internal mics or line in?
Teams: Neumann, Bay Area Tapers, Multitrack, Pioneertown Tapers, Mac Geeks, Cassette Masters, Poster Collectors, Alumni of teams St Louis, Upper Midwest & Milwaukee / Southern Wisco

Offline kennyb

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2018, 03:51:30 PM »
I use internals or line-in mostly, and have some external electrets that I use sometimes with plug in power

Offline unidentified

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2018, 03:59:18 PM »
I own them both.  Keep the Sony. It's smaller, better built, has much longer battery life, and (IMHO) better pre-amps. 

Offline mrfender

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2018, 04:12:18 PM »
I own them both.  Keep the Sony. It's smaller, better built, has much longer battery life, and (IMHO) better pre-amps.

The DR-05 was my first recorder (awww....) and works great but I have to agree with this. No reason to switch.

Offline kennyb

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2018, 10:16:46 PM »
Thanks, didn't know if the Sony was $300 better than the Tascam, I suppose it is  :)  I'll keep it for now

Offline capnhook

• All your llamas are belong to us....
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • All your llamas are belong to us....
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2018, 03:40:50 AM »
Thanks, didn't know if the Sony was $300 better than the Tascam, I suppose it is  :)  I'll keep it for now

Hey man, it's Christmas.  No reason you shouldn't have both of them..!  :cheers:
Proud member of the reality-based community

BSCS-L->JB-mod [NAK CM-300 (CP-3) and/or (CP-1)]->LSD2->CA CAFS-Omni->Sony ECM-907**Apogee MiniMe Rev. C->CA Ugly II->**Edirol OCM R-44->Tascam DR-22WL->Sony TCD-D8

"Don't ever take an all or nothing attitude when it comes to making a difference
and being beautiful and making the world a beautiful place through your actions.
Every little bit is registered.  Every little bit.  So be as beautiful as you can as often as you can"

"It'll never be over, 'till we learn."

"My dream is to get a bus and get the band and just go coast to coast. Just about everything else except music, is anti-musical.  That's it.  Music's the thing." - Jeb Puryear

Offline unidentified

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2018, 12:57:52 PM »

Well, that's a fair point.  You could also buy several of the Tascams if you raised your asking price a tad, like this fellow:  https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-SONY-PCM-M10-Black-Audio-Linear-PCM-Recorder-F-S-EMS-from-JAPAN/292655911986?hash=item4423a6d432:rk:5:pf:0

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.174 seconds with 35 queries.
© 2002-2019 Taperssection.com