Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: What’s your experience with 8 TB Weatern Digital external drive?  (Read 236 times)

Offline MakersMarc

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • 😈
Thanks!
😈 Mk4v/41v>nbob actives>Baby nbox>Oade warm mod Marantz 620.

Open: 4v/41v>nbobs>Naiant PFA>Oade warm mod 661.

Also Oade warm mod 661, two functional HHB portadats and a Fostex D5 that works when it wants to.

Offline jb63

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (30)
  • Taperssection Member
  • if not now when?
Re: What’s your experience with 8 TB Weatern Digital external drive?
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2019, 06:07:26 PM »
I've never used the 8TB but if you're just loading it up and not using it in an array it should be fine. I swear by their 4TB Red, Blue & Green drives.
I did read something about an earthquake affecting their price and manufacturing location a while back, so you may want to do more research, but I have never had a WD drive fail on me.
this is definitely not normal

Offline MakersMarc

• Trade Count: (15)
  • 😈
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2019, 04:58:14 PM »
Thanks!

4 TB will do just fine actually
😈 Mk4v/41v>nbob actives>Baby nbox>Oade warm mod Marantz 620.

Open: 4v/41v>nbobs>Naiant PFA>Oade warm mod 661.

Also Oade warm mod 661, two functional HHB portadats and a Fostex D5 that works when it wants to.

Offline fozzy

• Trade Count: (2)
  • move along, nothing much to see here
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2019, 05:28:59 PM »
I have 6 of these in my plex/archive server.  I have shucked these from the external enclosures and they are connected to a M1015 SAS controller.  I have reused a couple of the external cases for backups with some 4 and 5tb drives from an old server(simple/crude mod required).     Using the drives internally require blocking one of the sata pins w/ electrical tape but other than that they are identical to the Red WD drives.

These drives aren't fast but I have no issues dealing with large audio files, I wouldn't use them to render high res/rate video or get into audio with more than 8 tracks.  I also have these in a drivepool w/ a 256gig M.2 flash drive as staging space which masks any performance issues. 

I am at about 14 months on my current build and have had no issues. 
MK 4V > KCY 250/5 Ig (KS 10I)  > VST62IUg > 722

Offline morst

• Archivist: Camper Van Beethoven & Cracker
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • ISO ALL archival Cracker / CVB / Monks Of Doom etc
    • Soundscape Preservation Society
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2019, 10:58:42 PM »
I have like 4-6 of the WD 8TB drives. No issues in about three years maybe since I started running them?

I prefer the larger desktop units with the longer warranties if I can get them (3 years is better than 1!) - not that I plan to use it, but I guesstimate they put longer backing on better products, if they're smart!?

Plenty of 4TB drives from WD as well, and even a couple of 6's. Now I don't keep these running for very long at a time once they're filled up, but I have four of them sitting right here ready to spin. I use DiskTracker on Mac to keep track of the contents when they're not plugged in. That way I can search for and find a file before I decide which copy to use.
Teams: Neumann, Bay Area Tapers, Multitrack, Pioneertown Tapers, Mac Geeks, Cassette Masters, Poster Collectors, Alumni of teams St Louis, Upper Midwest & Milwaukee / Southern Wisco

Offline jerryfreak

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm a llama! (taboot)
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2019, 04:39:36 AM »
i have one but id be leery to format one as exfat

win7/win10 checks a hidden bit which gets flagged as "dirty" if disconnected/powered down imprperly and makes the drive read only. i have a drive i need to bounce everythign off of and create a new volume. maddening

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.124 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2019 Taperssection.com