Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: audacity importing causing these issues??  (Read 372 times)

Offline ero3030

• Trade Count: (57)
  • Taperssection All-Star
audacity importing causing these issues??
« on: February 10, 2019, 07:22:26 PM »
I just got done dumping 2 shows onto my laptop.  I opened all the files in audacity to normalize then exported them to there proper place.  before putting the sd card back in the recorder [ sucks leaving the sd card at home in the lappy!!!]  and formatting it,  I actually got some time to check them out.  they both have light crackling,  like a bad connection or even a type of interference.  its not constant through ether of the shows,  but deff the same sound in each.  no real pattern.  so I went to the SD card to check the original files to see if they matched up with my files I used audacity on before setting up my gear to try and reproduce noise.   not a peep on the original files.  weird or did I do or not do something that was needed.  I don't use audacity much,  but its cut and dry on using it.  any help or input is appreciated .  thax, ed
needin some fishhead music!

" known for f**king up a good weekend on a Thursday nite "

Offline capnhook

• All your llamas are belong to us....
  • Trade Count: (20)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: audacity importing causing these issues??
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2019, 07:52:31 PM »
I use V2.1.0, and haven't experienced any problems like that, Ed.

Kevin
Proud member of the reality-based community

BSCS-L->JB-mod [NAK CM-300 (CP-3) and/or (CP-1)]->LSD2->CA CAFS-Omni->Sony ECM-907**Apogee MiniMe Rev. C->CA Ugly II->**Edirol OCM R-44->Tascam DR-22WL->Sony TCD-D8

"Don't ever take an all or nothing attitude when it comes to making a difference
and being beautiful and making the world a beautiful place through your actions.
Every little bit is registered.  Every little bit.  So be as beautiful as you can as often as you can"

"It'll never be over, 'till we learn."

"My dream is to get a bus and get the band and just go coast to coast. Just about everything else except music, is anti-musical.  That's it.  Music's the thing." - Jeb Puryear

Offline heathen

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2019, 10:03:40 PM »
I've never had an issue with Audacity introducing noise.
Recordings on LMA: https://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%22Lucas+Lorenz%22
Mics: Core Sound TetraMic | AT4031 | AT AE5100 | AT853 (C/SC) | Line Audio CM3 | Sennheiser e614 | Sennheiser MKE2 | DPA 4061 | CA-14 omni | Studio Projects CS5 Pre: CA9200 Decks: Zoom F8 | Roland R-05 | Tascam DR-2d

Offline MakersMarc

• Trade Count: (15)
  • 😈
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2019, 10:36:31 PM »
Me neither. Weird
😈 Mk4v/41v>nbob actives>Baby nbox>Oade warm mod Marantz 620.

Open: 4v/41v>nbobs>Naiant PFA>Oade warm mod 661.

Also Oade warm mod 661, two functional HHB portadats and a Fostex D5 that works when it wants to.

Offline Walstib62

• Trade Count: (30)
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2019, 02:54:11 PM »
maybe some peaks are going over zero after you did the normalize?

Offline noahbickart

• phishrabbi
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • So now I wander over grounds of light...
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2019, 05:00:27 PM »
I don't get the love for audacity. Sometimes you get what you pay for.

Try buying a real DAW. Like Reaper. It's only ~$70.
Recording:
Capsules: Schoeps mk41v (x2), mk4v (x2), mk22 (x2), mk3 (x2), mk21 & mk8
Cables: 2x nbob KCY, 1 pair nbob actives, Darktrain 2 and 4 channel KCY extensions:
Preamps:    Schoeps VMS 02iub, Naiant Littlebox, Naiant IPA, Sound Devices Mixpre6
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre6, Sony PCM m10

Home Playback: Mytek DSD 192> McIntosh MC162> Eminent Tech LFT-16; Musical Fidelity xCan v2> Hifiman HE-4XX / Beyerdynamic DT880

Office Playback: Grace m903> AKG k701 / Hifiman HE-400

Offline heathen

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2019, 05:05:26 PM »
I don't get the love for audacity.

It does everything I need, and I know how to use it.  That's my two cents.  I'm sure people who are more sophisticated and require more functionality may be limited by it, in which case another option may be more useful.

That said, I don't think "buying a real DAW" will fix the issue here because there's no definitive indication (yet...maybe the OP will be able to better diagnose it and find out it was caused by Audacity) that the issue was caused by Audacity.
Recordings on LMA: https://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%22Lucas+Lorenz%22
Mics: Core Sound TetraMic | AT4031 | AT AE5100 | AT853 (C/SC) | Line Audio CM3 | Sennheiser e614 | Sennheiser MKE2 | DPA 4061 | CA-14 omni | Studio Projects CS5 Pre: CA9200 Decks: Zoom F8 | Roland R-05 | Tascam DR-2d

Offline nulldogmas

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2019, 05:34:20 PM »
maybe some peaks are going over zero after you did the normalize?

I thought of this as well — some sort of clipping was introduced somehow? Though I admit to being mystified how that could happen with Audacity's Normalize filter.

Offline heathen

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2019, 05:36:06 PM »
Maybe try repeating the process the same way you did the first time and see if you get the same result.

Offline capnhook

• Trade Count: (20)
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2019, 05:53:12 PM »
I don't get the love for audacity. Sometimes you get what you pay for.

Try buying a real DAW. Like Reaper. It's only ~$70.

Don't know where you got off on the wrong foot with Audacity, but you are waaaay off base noahbickart.

I suppose as we get older, it's harder to learn new things, but I would encourage you to revisit it.

It's super-powerful, and since it can take in all kinds of VST plug-ins, you really don't need to kill yourself on the steep Reaper learning curve.

Limit yourself to V2.1.0 and you will be all set.  :coolguy:

Proud member of the reality-based community

BSCS-L->JB-mod [NAK CM-300 (CP-3) and/or (CP-1)]->LSD2->CA CAFS-Omni->Sony ECM-907**Apogee MiniMe Rev. C->CA Ugly II->**Edirol OCM R-44->Tascam DR-22WL->Sony TCD-D8

"Don't ever take an all or nothing attitude when it comes to making a difference
and being beautiful and making the world a beautiful place through your actions.
Every little bit is registered.  Every little bit.  So be as beautiful as you can as often as you can"

"It'll never be over, 'till we learn."

"My dream is to get a bus and get the band and just go coast to coast. Just about everything else except music, is anti-musical.  That's it.  Music's the thing." - Jeb Puryear

Online Ronmac

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2019, 06:12:12 PM »
Did you save as MP3 type file and normalize to >-1.0? If so, you may be experiencing inter sample peaks (where the peak of the waveform actually can extend past clipping).

Can you post a sample of the normalized file?

Offline ero3030

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2019, 06:45:23 PM »
Thanks all for the responses.  Figured the f'ing thing out.  After going back and forth from the SD card to the saved file I realized I was going from my old laptop to my new laptop, where the saved file was,   and figured it was the new laptop as I haven't really used the new lappy other than downloading a few programs that r needed.   Here it's the dam head phone jack on the new laptop!!!  No biggie as it is new, but cheap as shxx,  and when I put it to use in the playback system it will be going through a dac/headphone amp.  U think I would of "caught " the sound as a bad phone jack as the sound of a bad one is unmistakable,   but this was something way different.   It is very light sounding like real soft cracking/popping but not over powering the recording and can't be reproduced or made worse sounding by "messing" with the headphone jack while music is playing.  Nice to figure it out as it was driving me nuts.  Ed

Offline nulldogmas

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2019, 06:50:38 PM »
Thanks all for the responses.  Figured the f'ing thing out.  After going back and forth from the SD card to the saved file I realized I was going from my old laptop to my new laptop, where the saved file was,   and figured it was the new laptop as I haven't really used the new lappy other than downloading a few programs that r needed.   Here it's the dam head phone jack on the new laptop!!!  No biggie as it is new, but cheap as shxx,  and when I put it to use in the playback system it will be going through a dac/headphone amp.  U think I would of "caught " the sound as a bad phone jack as the sound of a bad one is unmistakable,   but this was something way different.   It is very light sounding like real soft cracking/popping but not over powering the recording and can't be reproduced or made worse sounding by "messing" with the headphone jack while music is playing.  Nice to figure it out as it was driving me nuts.  Ed

Yay happy (?) ending!

Offline ero3030

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2019, 07:07:11 PM »

Yay happy (?) ending!
Yep, happy ending.  Laptop still worth what was paid for it.  I was more concerned by sound that it was a mic thing or cable thing, or a recorder thing because the noise is more digital sounding than bad headphone jack,  plus I've been running a new set of b9audio hypers with mic cables that haven't been used in quite sometime, into a mixpre3 using phantom power that hasn't been used till now,  so had my fingers crossed i didn't have to diagnose the bad sound from the recording gear end of it.  That would of made thing a very unhappy ending!!!

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.223 seconds with 41 queries.
© 2002-2019 Taperssection.com