Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Sound Devices MixPre-3 and 6, Part 6  (Read 77683 times)

Offline justme

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Re: Sound Devices MixPre-3 and 6, Part 6
« Reply #210 on: September 12, 2019, 12:49:31 AM »

Offline rick.lang

• Taperssection Regular
Sound Devices MixPre-3 and 6, Part 6
« Reply #211 on: September 22, 2019, 01:54:33 PM »
First post on this forum:
I have started testing my new MixPre-6 II and have run into some unexpected results for Timecode.  I can jam the Gen Timecode from my Tentacle Sync E and let the MixPre keep Free Run Timecode.  All goes well but in as short as three minutes, the MixPre is a frame behind.  In 20 minutes or so, it suddenly lost more than a second as I monitored the Gen Timecode and the Aux 1 (Tentacle) Timecode in the Jam menu display.

Devices set to 24:00 fps and 48KHz and 32bit float.   I’ve run tests up to ten hours and they all lose a second or more Timecode every once in a while.  Someone suggest I must be using 23.976 fps but I’m not.  If I was, the difference would be roughly twice as large as what I’m seeing. 

I have a problem ticket and await a response this week. 

It’s not an emergency, since the MixPre will keep good Timecode if I set the MixPre to use Aux 1 and not Free Run.  It works, but I don’t want a Tentacle tethered continuously as I have other devices to sync too.

If someone has seen this and corrected it, I’d appreciate hearing from you.  Firmware release is 4.0.0.  I’ll get back to this forum when the mystery is solved.

Edit
I also confirmed this is a problem for 24bit audio as well as 32bit float.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: September 22, 2019, 01:57:22 PM by rick.lang »

Offline IronFilm

• Taperssection Regular
  • Sound Recordist for Film/TV in New Zealand
    • IronFilm
« Reply #212 on: September 23, 2019, 12:20:16 AM »
First post on this forum:
I have started testing my new MixPre-6 II and have run into some unexpected results for Timecode.  I can jam the Gen Timecode from my Tentacle Sync E and let the MixPre keep Free Run Timecode.  All goes well but in as short as three minutes, the MixPre is a frame behind.  In 20 minutes or so, it suddenly lost more than a second as I monitored the Gen Timecode and the Aux 1 (Tentacle) Timecode in the Jam menu display.

Devices set to 24:00 fps and 48KHz and 32bit float.   I’ve run tests up to ten hours and they all lose a second or more Timecode every once in a while.  Someone suggest I must be using 23.976 fps but I’m not.  If I was, the difference would be roughly twice as large as what I’m seeing. 

I have a problem ticket and await a response this week. 

It’s not an emergency, since the MixPre will keep good Timecode if I set the MixPre to use Aux 1 and not Free Run.  It works, but I don’t want a Tentacle tethered continuously as I have other devices to sync too.

That sucks, as having to set it to Aux defeats a main reason for buying the Gen 2 recorders!

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • The plural of anecdote is not data
« Reply #213 on: September 23, 2019, 03:23:44 AM »
that’s unfortunate i wonder if it’s dropping samples
Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

Offline rick.lang

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #214 on: September 23, 2019, 07:43:38 AM »

That sucks, as having to set it to Aux defeats a main reason for buying the Gen 2 recorders!

I had been advised that the MixPre-6 II was so good that I could use it to jam sync my Tentacles!  I’m hopeful Sound Devices will have an answer for the erratic behaviour today.  I thought the new recorder would “just work” and my audio to video syncing in post would be effortless after I calculate the audio delay for each mic into the MixPre.

Offline rick.lang

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #215 on: September 23, 2019, 07:44:06 AM »
Deleted duplicate post
« Last Edit: September 23, 2019, 08:10:35 AM by rick.lang »

Offline rick.lang

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #216 on: September 23, 2019, 07:44:48 AM »
Deleted duplicate post
« Last Edit: September 23, 2019, 08:09:51 AM by rick.lang »

Offline rick.lang

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #217 on: September 23, 2019, 07:49:39 AM »
that’s unfortunate i wonder if it’s dropping samples
Jerry, I haven’t bothered to test recording audio yet given the Timecode is useless.  I tested Timecode from the Aux1 continuous feed for nine hours yesterday and at least that was flawless so I’ll be ready to record vocal audio now from the Line Audio CM-4 mics.

Offline Paul Isaacs

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #218 on: September 23, 2019, 11:43:01 AM »
MixPre Version 4.01 has just been released today for all MixPre Gen I and Gen II models. This addresses the timecode issue and many other improvements including SD write performance. I highly recommend all users update their firmware.

Changed

Limiter settings are now available in Custom Mode setups with Gain set to Advanced (MixPre-3 II, MixPre-6 II, and MixPre-10 II).

Fixed

Improvements to SD card writing performance (all models).
AAC rendering of Music Projects no longer results in error (applies to all models with Music features).
Files with only Track R recorded now playback correctly (does not apply to M models).
Record Buffer Errors no longer occur after cycling power while using Record Run timecode (MixPre-10T only).
Various stability issues no longer occur when switching in and out of 32-bit float operation (MixPre-3 II, MixPre-6 II, MixPre-10 II).
Brief gap in LTC timecode output signal no longer occurs during a record split (MixPre-3 II and MixPre-6 II).
Timecode no longer drifts or stamps to the file with an offset. (MixPre-3 II and MixPre-6 II)
Various performance improvements.

Offline justme

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #219 on: September 23, 2019, 11:45:21 AM »
Lovely Paul.
Thank you!

Offline justme

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #220 on: September 23, 2019, 01:58:37 PM »
Unfortunately the 4.01 on the MixPre 6 did not sustained writing 8 channels at 192kHz to the Kingston Canvas React 64GB.
FAILED:Record Buffer Error

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #221 on: September 23, 2019, 02:01:16 PM »

I’m hopeful Sound Devices will have an answer for the erratic behaviour today.

MixPre Version 4.01 has just been released today for all MixPre Gen I and Gen II models. This addresses the timecode issue and many other improvements including SD write performance. I highly recommend all users update their firmware.

Your hopes appear to have been justified, if not satisfied.
https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

Offline lerond

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #222 on: September 23, 2019, 04:02:51 PM »
I'm not having any problems with the Anker battery and USB-C, but I am eyeing the MX Powersled for a more secure connection. Anyone running that one? What battery do you use with it?

I have the MX Powersled for my Ver 1 MP6. I used a Talentcell, and a RAV 23000. Both worked great.... I stopped using it when i realized with a good USB C cable I like using the usb battery was just easier.

When I got my MP6 i ran it on the SD sled, but I didn't like the odd form factor, and felt like it was a hassle to mount/dismount the batteries for recharging (since I'd previously used a 722, which recharged the cells when connected to ext power). Since then I've switched to using USBC RAV PB173 + rt angle cable with AAx4 as backup. Works great except when I'm an idiot (don't recharge the cells, or don't plug in the USB cable).
ain't no party like a katydid party
jumpin' and a hoppin' and singin' them songs!

Offline rick.lang

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #223 on: September 23, 2019, 06:30:43 PM »
The first firmware 4.01 test ran for 6.5 hours, losing part of a frame in 15 minutes and going over a few hours when it lost less than two frames by the end.  Next test losing a slightly larger part of a frame in ten minutes and I’ll monitor this for several hours.

What’s good is that I may no longer see those chunks of a second or more lost suddenly.  This gradual loss is similar to before 4.1 but doesn’t get ridiculously bad.  Still losing Timecode so quickly means I can’t use it.  On a real shoot, I’ll have it taking TC from the Tentacle continuously when I can.

Short narrative takes will likely be okay, but most anything will need a fresh jam every shot which is not the way it should be in a multi-camera shoot or I’ll need to sync manually again!

Offline Paul Isaacs

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #224 on: September 23, 2019, 09:29:22 PM »
The first firmware 4.01 test ran for 6.5 hours, losing part of a frame in 15 minutes and going over a few hours when it lost less than two frames by the end.  Next test losing a slightly larger part of a frame in ten minutes and I’ll monitor this for several hours.

What’s good is that I may no longer see those chunks of a second or more lost suddenly.  This gradual loss is similar to before 4.1 but doesn’t get ridiculously bad.  Still losing Timecode so quickly means I can’t use it.  On a real shoot, I’ll have it taking TC from the Tentacle continuously when I can.

Short narrative takes will likely be okay, but most anything will need a fresh jam every shot which is not the way it should be in a multi-camera shoot or I’ll need to sync manually again!

As you know, TC drift between two jammed devices depends on the difference between their internal system clocks. The drift of less than 2 frames in 6.5 hours will be due to the difference between the Tentacle's and MixPre's internal clocks. MixPres are calibrated to an atomic clock. I suspect that so are Tentacle's but don't know that for sure. Run the test again with both devices set to 23.98 and if you still see that level of drift, contact our tech support team to arrange a calibration check. If your unit is a MixPre-10, you can calibrate its clock to an ext TC signal for virtually zero drift.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.078 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com