Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Zoom F6 (32-bit float equipped)  (Read 3272 times)

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (29)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Zoom F6 (32-bit float equipped)
« Reply #45 on: May 27, 2019, 07:11:16 AM »
ok thats impressive but its obviously using a bunch of digital fuckery to achieve it

I'm not sure what you're getting at with "digital fuckery".  What processing?  Sure, there needs to be a hand-off between the two ADCs somewhere where the ranges overlap, but I wouldn't call that "processing".  Zoom isn't the first to implement dual-ADCs; but they appear to be the first to pair that with 32-bit float recording, and that's what's special here.

at the beginning of the vid he says "there are no levels to set" but then says there is a fader

When he says "no levels to set" I believe he is only talking about preamp gain when running in 32-bit float.  That would be consistent with how other people have spoken about this unit.  The gain setting is fixed in that case, because when recording in 32-bit float, gain setting is irrelevant as the video demonstrates.  The knobs are faders, which are post-gain, and you would only need to bother with them for your stereo mixdown track.  For your ISO tracks, you just boost or attenuate in post with nothing lost.

If you record in 24-bit, then gain setting would matter, and the specs show you have a range of +12 dB to +75 dB.  We will have to wait for a manual to be posted and/or a more detailed review to show how preamp game is / is not available in the menus for the 24 and 32 bit recording options.

the inability to disable digital processing would be an area of concern imo... and those asymmetric waveforms also look suspect

Regarding asymmetric waveforms: I think you are implying there may be a DC offset, but not all asymmetric waveforms indicate this.  See these two links, particularly the high-pass filtered example in the first article.  The video I linked was recorded with a DPA 4017b shotgun mic, and I suspect there was a HPF engaged.
http://www.producenewmedia.com/asymmetric-waveforms-should-you-be-concerned/
http://www.audiomisc.co.uk/asymmetry/asym.html
DPA 4061 | Line Audio CM3 | Naiant X-Q | AT 853
Naiant PFAs | Shure FP24
Tascam DR-70D JWMod | Sony PCM-M10

Tascam DR-70D FAQ
Team Line Audio
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.    ///    If a composer could say what he had to say in words he would not bother trying to say it in music.
- Gustav Mahler

Offline goodcooker

• Trade Count: (28)
  • goes to 11
« Reply #46 on: May 27, 2019, 08:18:06 AM »

I'm pretty impressed with what Zoom has been doing in the recorder market the past few years.

Their first few recorders were miserable but they were marketed as toys not serious recorders for professionals or serious hobbyists. Technology has caught up to affordability for us working stiffs.

Can't wait to tell Zman that he can sell his AD2K  :D
Schoeps MK41 > nBob > PFA || MBHO KA300 > PFA || Sennheiser me40-k2u || ADK S51 || Joly Mod Oktava MK012
Aerco MP2 || Grace Lunatec V2 || RAD MS2 || nBox Platinum
Marantz PMD706 || PMD620

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/goodcooker

"Are you the Zman?" - fan at Panic 10-08-10 Kansas City

"I don't know who left this perfectly good inflatable wook doll here, but if I'm blowing her up, I'm keeping her." -  hoppedup

Offline Ozpeter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #47 on: May 28, 2019, 01:41:35 AM »
As soon as funds allow, I need one of these.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=338&v=y4oNd1RgGL0

Hey - you're letting forum standards slip there - I thought waiting for funds to allow new kit purchases was something we simply don't do here?!   I have to say I'd be all over this box except I don't do any recording any more.  Still, it would be nice to have in the cupboard, to take out and pat every now and then.... sigh.  :cheers:

Offline jerryfreak

• Trade Count: (20)
  • I'm a llama! (taboot)
« Reply #48 on: May 28, 2019, 03:09:33 AM »
thanks for the links volt

re: "High-pass filters, and aggressive low-end processing are common causes of asymmetric waveforms. "

asymmetry is something ive only recently experienced (while pushing the bleeding edge of underpowering mics with PIP) and trying to put my finger on the causes of it. Certainly its not always audible (to my ears) in all cases. my A10 is under the knife right now so well see what it does when i get it back with a better battery box
in:
small: MK4/4V > CMR > V3 or J.Williams Mod MicMan Jr or no pre at all >AD2K/R07/PCM-A10/Oade Warm 661/DR100-MKIII

smaller: 4061/4099 CORE or 4011/4018V> d:vice MMA

out:
home:Benchmark DAC1 HGC > Dynaudio BM15A active monitors
shop: Musical Fidelity VLink 192 Asynchronyous> coax> DAC1 > Rokit RP8 active monitors

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.11 seconds with 31 queries.
© 2002-2019 Taperssection.com