Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Next Step Up from Church Audio / Superlux Mics....  (Read 1166 times)

Online obaaron

• Trade Count: (42)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Wide Awake in San Diego!
Re: Next Step Up from Church Audio / Superlux Mics....
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2019, 01:01:53 AM »
I would go with a pair of AKG 460’s with ck61’’s or ck1’s. You will have several capsule options you can add down the road as needed....hypers, omnis, or shotguns they are flexible mics and sound great for a very reasonable price imo
Mics:  Gefell M20,M21/sms2000/nbob | Schoeps MK4V/cmc6/nbob | AKG c460b/c480b/a60/Naiant actives - ck61,62,63,69 ;ck1,3,8;ck1x,2x,3x/MK46 | Neumann KM140's/Nick Mod LC3/Naiant PFA| AT853, AT933 | CA-11c,o
Pres: Naiant Littlebox | Tinybox | BMod Edirol UA-5 | Church ST-9200
Recorders:  Zoom F8 | Tascam DR-680 | Tascam DR-60D | Sony PCM-M10
Video: Canon VIXIA HF R42

**ISO** -   Schoeps mk22 matched pair | Gefell M27’s | Neumann AK50’s

Offline vwmule

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2019, 02:09:17 AM »
Seek 480s, cards at least. More than you budget but the upgrade will be undeniable and suppress cravings. You'll land a pair of top-quality mics at a market value price.

If not, agree that Beyerdynamic is overlooked.

Offline Papaphunk

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2019, 10:50:00 AM »
Thanks for everyone's input, I've read every word. Would love to step up to the AKG/Beyerdynamic/MBHO/Neumann Level next later this year...

It could just be some Schoeps envy creeping in there as well.....There is an amazing amount of Schoeps tapers just in the Philly area, I can think of at least a half dozen off the top of my head. So sometimes when I arrive at a venue and think, man why even bother  :D With 2 kids, these will never be in my price range.....But think I also need to just get over that feeling as well and have more confidence in my current gear Setup until I can upgrade.

Fun Hobby I've enjoyed tremendously over the past 5 years. Looking forward to investing to making great recordings in the future.

:cheers:
« Last Edit: April 13, 2019, 02:55:47 PM by Papaphunk »
CA-14 Card Mic's - CA-11 Omni's - Rode M5 Mic's - Superlux s502
CA 9200 PreAmps - CA UBB - Studio Projects C4 Hyper/Card/Omni
Busman MOD Tascam DR-70D - TASCAM DR-100MKII 

Recordings on archive: https://archive.org/details/@papaphunk

Offline daspyknows

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Don't ask, don't tell, don't get get caught
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2019, 05:13:35 PM »
Thanks for everyone's input, I've read every word. Would love to step up to the AKG/Beyerdynamic/MBHO/Neumann Level next later this year...

It could just be some Schoeps envy creeping in there as well.....There is an amazing amount of Schoeps tapers just in the Philly area, I can think of at least a half dozen off the top of my head. So sometimes when I arrive at a venue and think, man why even bother  :D With 2 kids, these will never be in my price range.....But think I also need to just get over that feeling as well and have more confidence in my current gear Setup until I can upgrade.

Fun Hobby I've enjoyed tremendously over the past 5 years. Looking forward to investing to making great recordings in the future.

:cheers:

I might have thought that when I bought my MK4's in the early 90's.  Now after well over 1,000 shows on a per show basis the cost is negligible.  I did purchase a used pair of MK41s a few years back for stadiums, big festivals and arenas if I am further back but that was not something I needed to do.  If you go the Schoeps route you won't have upgrade envy.

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (32)
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2019, 07:44:25 AM »
Honestly, I think that w/your SP C4 and s502, you're good to go.    Sure you could dump $500 on top of what you have invested...but I dont think you'd be sitting  back going "my recordings def. are a LOT better".    But then again...you may.

The SP C4's never cease to impress me with their sound.  It's not bright and cheesy....but smooth and natural.   
Maybe get a LSD2 or other LD stereo mic that will let you play with MS and Blumlein techniques.

Offline tim in jersey

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #20 on: Yesterday at 03:25:14 AM »
Rich,

I have a pair of AKG bluelines I could loan you if you'd like...

Offer still stands.

Offline tim in jersey

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #21 on: Yesterday at 03:38:53 AM »
Also, you need to run upfront w/ Litz, and Antaya, and occasionally, me... If we get shut down, so what? We start  >:D taping...

Offline Papaphunk

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #22 on: Today at 12:01:04 PM »
Rich,

I have a pair of AKG bluelines I could loan you if you'd like...

Offer still stands.

Thanks Timme, I may take you up on that sometime down the line.
CA-14 Card Mic's - CA-11 Omni's - Rode M5 Mic's - Superlux s502
CA 9200 PreAmps - CA UBB - Studio Projects C4 Hyper/Card/Omni
Busman MOD Tascam DR-70D - TASCAM DR-100MKII 

Recordings on archive: https://archive.org/details/@papaphunk

Offline adrianf74

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #23 on: Today at 04:09:07 PM »
The AKG blue line loaners are a great bump up.  If you see somebody with CK63s, grab them. And either some bodies or nBob cables with PFAs or a Baby nBox. And go that route. 

I've owned pretty much everything and circled back to the 63s because they were what made me happy and the right opportunity came up. If you're looking for a second set of caps, and run open often, the Line Audio CM3s are a great buy. Used them a few times and love them when I don't need cards.
Mics: AKG ck63-ULS > nBob Actives, Line Audio CM3 | Decks: Tascam DR701D, Sony PCM-M10 | Power: Baby nBox, Anker Powercore Elite 20000mAh Battery

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.166 seconds with 36 queries.
© 2002-2019 Taperssection.com