Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Record First Row, mic under chair  (Read 2013 times)

Offline MakersMarc

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • 😈
Re: Record First Row, mic under chair
« Reply #30 on: July 10, 2019, 11:31:19 AM »
I think it's  fine to use cheap gear, not everyone can swing great gear. I do hate lack of effort though. No reason a ca-14 taper can't be as ballsy as the taper with high quality gear, and location can go a long ways to make economy gear sound good. Not under the seat. Just no reason for that.
😈 Mk4v/41v>nbob actives>Baby nbox>Oade warm mod Marantz 620.

Open: 4v/41v>nbobs>Naiant PFA>Oade warm mod 661.

Home: the Stereo Hospital budget refurb rig: Lappie>DragonFly Red with Jitterbug>Nikko NR520 amp>B&W V202 speakers. Hi Fi Goodwill style.

Offline opsopcopolis

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #31 on: July 10, 2019, 11:49:49 AM »
singing and recording are not compatible

disagree.. I have a few tapes I love & others have enjoyed where I let loose a few times on 3-4 songs out of 20. make me cringe? yeah. better than not having a tape? absolutely.

I stealthed a show a few weeks ago that I sang along to pretty loudly the entire time. Can't hear it at all. I was actually pretty surprised at the result.
Mics: Berliner CM-33, CA-14 card, CA-11 card & omni, AT-853, Sony ECM-907
Recorders: Tascam DR-60D, Tascam DR-05, Sony Hi-MD

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (13)
« Reply #32 on: July 10, 2019, 11:56:40 AM »
I think it's  fine to use cheap gear, not everyone can swing great gear. I do hate lack of effort though. No reason a ca-14 taper can't be as ballsy as the taper with high quality gear, and location can go a long ways to make economy gear sound good.

+T
Effort, determination, and technique are the most important assets in our pursuit of the heat.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<<

Offline opsopcopolis

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #33 on: July 10, 2019, 12:06:54 PM »
I think it's  fine to use cheap gear, not everyone can swing great gear. I do hate lack of effort though. No reason a ca-14 taper can't be as ballsy as the taper with high quality gear, and location can go a long ways to make economy gear sound good.

+T
Effort, determination, and technique are the most important assets in our pursuit of the heat.

I agree with the general sentiment, BUT taping (at least for me) is a pursuit based almost entirely on personal enjoyment. I tape the shows I want to see, in the seats I want to be in. That just so happens to usually correspond with the best sounding seats in the house. I can totally identify with wanting to put the gear down (or at least physically separate it from yourself) so you can have a good time, and I've been in a situation where I wish I had done that instead of making the effort to make a better tape... At the end of the day, if you ruin your enjoyment of a show by forcing yourself to be a stoic mic stand, then what's the point?
Mics: Berliner CM-33, CA-14 card, CA-11 card & omni, AT-853, Sony ECM-907
Recorders: Tascam DR-60D, Tascam DR-05, Sony Hi-MD

Offline heathen

• Trade Count: (19)
« Reply #34 on: July 10, 2019, 02:54:19 PM »
At the end of the day, if you ruin your enjoyment of a show by forcing yourself to be a stoic mic stand, then what's the point?

I was thinking about this the other day and it occurred to me that the hassles of stealthing (or even open taping) could for some people, and in some circumstances, be a higher grade of fun like Steve Rinella describes it.  Basically, he says that something like a roller coaster is low grade fun because you enjoy it in the moment and then the feeling immediately disappears and you basically forget it.  Something that sucks in the moment, though, can be a higher grade of fun because you can look back on it for years and enjoy reflecting on how much it sucked.  If you were with friends enduring the suck it can be a moment you all talk about with fondness, in a way, later on.

Of course everyone has to make their own decision about what grade of fun they want, what sort of balances they want to strike, etc.  But that concept of high and low grade fun is something I think about in a variety of contexts, including this bizarre hobby.
Recordings on LMA: https://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%22Lucas+Lorenz%22
Mics: Core Sound TetraMic | AT4031 | AT AE5100 | AT853 (C/SC) | Line Audio CM3 | Sennheiser e614 | Sennheiser MKE2 | DPA 4061 | CA-14 omni Pre: CA9200 Decks: Zoom F8 | Roland R-05

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (13)
« Reply #35 on: July 10, 2019, 04:08:04 PM »
+T & +T

Certainly a grain or more of truth in that.  My primary motivation is my own personal enjoyment and deeper, richer appreciation of the music.  It's also a fun challenge making the recording in the moment and everything that goes along with that, as is figuring out how best to go about doing it and revising the approach over time.  And although it is likely apparent given the nature of my participation in this forum, gaining a deeper understanding of acoustics and solving the engineering challenges of creating the recordings we make in challenging situations is an undeniably attractive aspect.

For many the primary satisfaction is sharing the music with fellow music fans. Although I rarely post my recordings, sharing personal insights into the pursuit of this art with other tapers is a big motivation as well.

We sure ain't doing this for the money, as that all flows the opposite direction. Make great tapes folks, whatever the motivation!
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<<

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.146 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2019 Taperssection.com