Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: cable testers  (Read 6077 times)

ThePiedPiper

• Trade Count: (0)
cable testers
« on: June 27, 2019, 09:46:03 AM »
Can you test a cable that has had the 4.7k mod? I have some cables that I want to test (some with, some without the mod) and I just want to make sure that they test OK. So, will the mod affect the testing?

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: cable testers
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2019, 06:30:53 PM »
All a simple cable tester will do is tell you if you have continuity or not, so I don't think it should matter.
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2019, 07:05:58 PM »
Agreed, the mod shouldn't affect a continuity test. 

However, a more advanced tester might also test for shorting between conductors, and that could conceivably be tripped by the resistive "short" introduced by the mod, depending on the threshold of the test circuit. But that is little more than educated speculation.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline goodcooker

• Trade Count: (43)
  • goes to 11
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2019, 11:52:10 PM »
tester might also test for shorting between conductors, and that could conceivably be tripped by the resistive "short" introduced by the mod

Gutbucket's educated speculation is correct. Most testers will show you if the cable has continuity from one end to the other but it will also show a short or fault from the resistor that is installed.
Line Audio CM3/OM1 || MBHO KA500 hyper>PFA|| ADK A51 type IV || AKG C522XY
Oade Warm Mod and Presence+ Mod UA5s || Aerco MP2(needs help) || Neve Portico 5012 || Apogee MMP
SD Mixpre6 || Oade Concert Mod DR100mkii

pocket sized - CA11 cards > SP SB10 > Sony PCM A10

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/goodcooker

"Are you the Zman?" - fan at Panic 10-08-10 Kansas City
"I don't know who left this perfectly good inflatable wook doll here, but if I'm blowing her up, I'm keeping her." -  hoppedup

Offline voltronic

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2019, 07:53:56 AM »
tester might also test for shorting between conductors, and that could conceivably be tripped by the resistive "short" introduced by the mod

Gutbucket's educated speculation is correct. Most testers will show you if the cable has continuity from one end to the other but it will also show a short or fault from the resistor that is installed.

Come to think of it, my cable tester has that function as well, but I wasn't considering it since I do not have any cables wired this way.

BTW, I picked this up a few months ago, and love it.  As someone who makes Ethernet cables all the time, it was great to find this capability along with the audio connectors I use.  Note that it doesn't test TS cables properly, though it does TRS.
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1267704-REG/behringer_ct200_8_in_1_cable_tester_mcrprcssr_cntrlled.html
- Gustav Mahler

Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

ThePiedPiper

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2019, 10:58:52 PM »
Goodcooker, Gutbucket and Voltronic ... thank you all so much.  I appreciate the info.

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • The plural of anecdote is not data
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2019, 04:09:01 PM »

Come to think of it, my cable tester has that function as well, but I wasn't considering it since I do not have any cables wired this way.

BTW, I picked this up a few months ago, and love it.  As someone who makes Ethernet cables all the time, it was great to find this capability along with the audio connectors I use.  Note that it doesn't test TS cables properly, though it does TRS.
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1267704-REG/behringer_ct200_8_in_1_cable_tester_mcrprcssr_cntrlled.html

wow thats amazing. and a steal for how much time and frustration it can potentially save you!
Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

Offline voltronic

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2019, 11:14:00 AM »

wow thats amazing. and a steal for how much time and frustration it can potentially save you!

Yeah, it's a very handy device.
- Gustav Mahler

Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.076 seconds with 37 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com