Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Heat Guns for cable building  (Read 645 times)

Offline ThePiedPiper

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Taperssection Member
  • My Humor Gets Me In Trouble.
    • Flute In The Gallery
Heat Guns for cable building
« on: August 27, 2019, 12:11:21 PM »
I have a quick question for the cable builders on here. I purchased my son a heat gun to build/repair guitar cables, and hopefully to help me with some mic repairs as well.

The heat gun I purchased is this one:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000X4SMRQ

Is that overkill for cables?  Should I get something like a heat pen (smaller) instead, something like this ...

https://www.amazon.com/ZeopoCase-Portable-Embossing-Wrapping-Electrical/dp/B073RK2M2Y

If not either of these, what is recommended?

Follow-up (bonus) questions:

1- Is there a shield or heat deflector that is commonly used when heat shrink tubing near capsules to keep the capsules from getting too much heat?
2- On a separate topic I discussed TechFlex sleeves, which I like a lot, but they do hinder with the flexibility of the cable. Is there something that is a little thinner and a lot more flexible available for cable protection? I was wondering about the actual clothe braided cables that you sometimes see on headphones ... is that an option?

THANKS FOR ALL THE HELP!
Naiant X-X Omni-Directional Mics  |  Beyerdynamic TG-L34c Cardioid Mics w/4.7k MOD  |
Realistic (Made in Japan by SHURE) 33-1056A (Custom Modified w/ 4.7k MOD) Mics

Sound Professionals SP-SPSB-10 (Custom Built & Modified) Micro-Mini 12vdc Power Supply >
Zoom F1 MicroSD Recorder (24BIT, 96kHz) > 32GB Kingston MicroSD Card.

iZotope RX7 & Adobe Audition 3.0

Offline Moke

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • caught and released 12 of them, ^
Re: Heat Guns for cable building
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2019, 04:17:58 PM »
that looks like fine tool.

mine:
Sent From My Craftsman Garage Door Opener

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (30)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2019, 06:43:04 PM »
I use a big, heavy-duty Wagner gun for my cable projects, but very carefully on the LOW setting.  I recommend that whatever you get, it have a dual-temp control just in case the one fixed temp is too high.  You can very quickly go from shrunk tubing to burnt tubing and wire insulation.

I don't have a recommendation for a thinner Techflex, but can tell you that it also will melt easily if you leave a heat gun on it too long.  I find the thinner diameters of it to be quite flexible.
DPA 4061 | Line Audio CM3 | Naiant X-Q | AT 853
Naiant PFAs | Shure FP24
Tascam DR-70D JWMod | Sony PCM-M10

Tascam DR-70D FAQ
Team Line Audio
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.    ///    If a composer could say what he had to say in words he would not bother trying to say it in music.
- Gustav Mahler

Offline ThePiedPiper

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Taperssection Member
  • My Humor Gets Me In Trouble.
    • Flute In The Gallery
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2019, 08:25:27 PM »
I use a big, heavy-duty Wagner gun for my cable projects, but very carefully on the LOW setting.  I recommend that whatever you get, it have a dual-temp control just in case the one fixed temp is too high.  You can very quickly go from shrunk tubing to burnt tubing and wire insulation.

I don't have a recommendation for a thinner Techflex, but can tell you that it also will melt easily if you leave a heat gun on it too long.  I find the thinner diameters of it to be quite flexible.

Thank you for the knowledge!
Naiant X-X Omni-Directional Mics  |  Beyerdynamic TG-L34c Cardioid Mics w/4.7k MOD  |
Realistic (Made in Japan by SHURE) 33-1056A (Custom Modified w/ 4.7k MOD) Mics

Sound Professionals SP-SPSB-10 (Custom Built & Modified) Micro-Mini 12vdc Power Supply >
Zoom F1 MicroSD Recorder (24BIT, 96kHz) > 32GB Kingston MicroSD Card.

iZotope RX7 & Adobe Audition 3.0

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.14 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2019 Taperssection.com