Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: new Schoeps CMC 1 amplifier for the Colette series  (Read 535 times)

Offline jerryfreak

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I'm a llama! (taboot)
Re: new Schoeps CMC 1 amplifier for the Colette series
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2019, 09:34:12 PM »
for sure, if anything youd think the ccm would be made obsolete by this, not the cmr
in:
small: MK4/4V > CMR > V3 or J.Williams Mod MicMan Jr or no pre at all >AD2K/R07/PCM-A10/Oade Warm 661/DR100-MKIII

smaller: 4061/4099 CORE or 4011/4018V> d:vice MMA

out:
home:Benchmark DAC1 HGC > Dynaudio BM15A active monitors
shop: Musical Fidelity VLink 192 Asynchronyous> coax> DAC1 > Rokit RP8 active monitors

Offline noahbickart

• phishrabbi
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • So now I wander over grounds of light...
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2019, 09:49:57 PM »
Schoeps copying b9audio or dpa???  I only say this as my b9audio team thread got hyjacked by butt hurt schoeps fans (which I'm a 20year member) knocking b9 products ( which wasn't the place or time)  so I'd figure I would get my own dig in

I assume you're referring to my comments there. I'm not "butt hurt," nor was I "knocking" a product with which I have no first hand experience. So I'm sorry if I came off that way or offended you. :cheers:

I was simply pointing out that b9audio was imitating the look of Schoeps products in a way I find distasteful, and which reminds me of Behringer's blatant copies of Mackie and other gear.

The cmc1 might serve a similar purpose as the DPA small body, in the same way their V4u serves the same purpose as a Neumann tlm 103- but nobody would mistake either of those Schoeps products for its competitor. The b9audio microphones seem to be designed to be mistaken for Schoeps.  :smash:

I just think it's ultimately much cooler to make your new cool products look unique, (and I much prefer Phish to JRAD). And the CMC1 looks exactly as you would expect from Schoeps. I bet it works well too.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2019, 09:53:30 PM by noahbickart »
Recording:
Capsules: Schoeps mk41v (x2), mk4v (x2), mk22 (x2), mk3 (x2), mk21 & mk8
Cables: 2x nbob KCY, 1 pair nbob actives, Darktrain 2 and 4 channel KCY extensions:
Preamps:    Schoeps VMS 02iub, Naiant Littlebox, Naiant IPA, Sound Devices Mixpre6
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre6, Sony PCM m10

Home Playback: Mytek DSD 192> McIntosh MC162> Eminent Tech LFT-16; Musical Fidelity xCan v2> Hifiman HE-4XX / Beyerdynamic DT880

Office Playback: Grace m903> AKG k701 / Hifiman HE-400

Offline DSatz

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2019, 10:23:00 PM »
jerryfreak, a lot depends on what options interest a person. For me, my first priority was interchangeable capsules with different directional patterns so that I could adapt my recording techniques to different venues and aesthetic goals. Then and only then, I started using active accessories such as Colette extension cables, and later, extension tubes as well (RC -- and RCY --). They allow for less visually obtrusive setups, but apart from that they don't really create whole new possibilities in the way that different capsules can do.

The immediate forerunner of the Colette series was a small series of microphones ("CMMT") that Schoeps made for the French state-run (at the time) radio network. It was arranged with the capsule attached permanently to the FET impedance converter. This could be attached to the output stage/body either directly or via an extension cable, which was simply a passive cable. This arrangement is mentioned as "prior art" in the Schoeps/Wuttke patent for the Colette system. The CMMT series never sold very widely, nor did it diversify in the way that the Colette system has (at first there were only seven capsule types; now there are about 20, for example). If there had been alternate capsule types for the CMMT, each one would have needed its own, built-in FET impedance converter circuit, making it more costly and inefficient to produce and to buy than is really necessary.

The way Schoeps arranged the Colette system, you pay only for the features that you actually use. Nothing about Colette capsules, for example, makes them particularly more expensive on account of their ability to work with (or without) active accessories. The same is true of CMC amplifiers (or OK, maybe a dollar extra for the concentric socket connector where either a capsule or an active accessory can be attached).

--best regards
« Last Edit: September 11, 2019, 10:40:21 PM by DSatz »
music > microphones > a recorder of some sort

Offline yug du nord

• ..Face plant into rock..
  • Trade Count: (54)
  • made with natural flavor
« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2019, 10:40:17 PM »
CCM is smaller than CMC1 (and CCM L for that matter) if that is of consideration.
.....got a blank space where my mind should be.....

Online heathen

• Trade Count: (20)
« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2019, 10:59:00 PM »
I was simply pointing out that b9audio was imitating the look of Schoeps products in a way I find distasteful, and which reminds me of Behringer's blatant copies of Mackie and other gear.

Most people would take that as knocking the product.
Recordings on LMA: https://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%22Lucas+Lorenz%22
Mics: Core Sound TetraMic | AT4031 | AT AE5100 | AT853 (C/SC) | Line Audio CM3 | Sennheiser e614 | Sennheiser MKE2 | DPA 4061 | CA-14 omni Pre: CA9200 Decks: Zoom F8 | Roland R-05

Offline DSatz

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2019, 11:01:12 PM »
yug du, you're right, of course, that using a CMC 1 without a Colette cable would be longer than the CCM, but that's not the only alternative. A CCM-L microphone is slightly longer than the equivalent capsule on a Colette cable, if you measure from the point where a miniature stand adapter would hold each of them.

With apologies for the parallax and motion blur, below is an CCM 41 VL (on the left), next to the corresponding capsule (MK 41 V) on a Colette cable. I matched up the "mounting points" for the two as closely as I could.

--best regards
« Last Edit: September 11, 2019, 11:16:06 PM by DSatz »
music > microphones > a recorder of some sort

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.108 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2019 Taperssection.com