Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: ISO: Smallest 48k powersupply  (Read 502 times)

Offline Popmarter

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
ISO: Smallest 48k powersupply
« on: November 06, 2019, 03:45:52 AM »
I love my Sony A10 and is ability to use an app for setting levels. In case you need too, you can hook all things on and put it on, way before a show starts and there is no need to doublecheck it all.

with that i would like to use it with a pair of 48v mics. what options do i have for a small powersupply? Denecke PS2? 3 hour batterylife will do.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2019, 05:53:41 AM by Popmarter »
Currently in use:
Recorders: Edirol R44, Sony M10, Sony A10
Microphones: Milab VM-44 Links (cards), AT853 (cards) & Nakamichi CM300 (all CP-s)
Preamps: JK Laboratories DVC-X-17b, Naiant IPA & Nakamichi MX-100 modded for 9v battery use
https://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%22Popmarter%22

Offline if_then_else

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: ISO: Smallest 48k powersupply
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2019, 06:40:27 AM »
JuicedLink RM222. It supports 12V/48V of phantom power, runs off a single 9V Li-ion battery for > 3.5 hours.
It's discontinued now, but I still have an unused one at home as a backup unit, if there's any interest.

Otherwise, check out the ones made by Kortwich, though you might need some external batteries.

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2019, 06:49:55 AM »
I've never used one, but Core Sound sells a P48 battery box. The 2Phant...

Offline pohaku

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2019, 12:37:58 PM »
There are some in line power supplies as well, but you would need 2 of them.  They are relatively small.
Mics: akg c460 (ck61, ck63), c414buls, c568eb; at4049a, 4051a, 4053a, at853; josephson c42; neumann U87, km84i; beyer m130, m160, m500; aea r84; gefell m71, mt711s, m200, m201, um70S; sony c38; schoeps cmc6, CMBI (mk4, mk21, mk41, mk4v); sennheiser mkh30, mkh40, md421, md431, md541
Pres: API, a-designs, pendulum, purple, millennia, gt, littlebox, tinybox, usbpre2, CA 9200, pipsqueak, grace V2, DAV BG1
Cables: KCY, CMR, Naiant AKG actives, PFAs, asst.  GAKables and Darktrain
Recorders/converters/monitors: dr680, m10, dr-2d, d50, zoom f8, 788T SSD CL-8, lynx aurora 8, Neumann KH20

Yeah, I'm an attorney, but everyone needs a day job!

Offline yug du nord

• ..Face plant into rock..
  • Trade Count: (54)
  • made with natural flavor
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2019, 01:44:45 PM »
I haven't seen any in-line P48 supplies...  but if it's within your budget, consider a small-ish preamp instead of a dedicated P48 supply.  I think small preamps are about the same size as most external P48 supplies.  And the preamp most likely would be higher quality than the A10 preamps.
But an external preamp would most likely be more expensive.

But then again, you would probably have to keep an eye on the external preamp...  so my suggestion might be worthless.   :facepalm:
« Last Edit: November 06, 2019, 01:51:15 PM by yug du nord »
.....got a blank space where my mind should be.....

Offline if_then_else

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2019, 03:15:21 PM »
I actually mean the Kortwich M2-mini which is intended for some pro cameras (like the Arri Alexa).
But the device can be customized...

The caveat is that you'd need an external battery and an Hirose adapter.

https://www.shop-ftt.de/de/vcp-m2-mini-arri-alex

This is the RM-222 (in comparison to the Line Audio CM3 mics)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/aed4hf23cbxuphg/line_audio-cm3.jpg?dl=0

Offline DSatz

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
Re: ISO: Smallest 48-Volt power supply
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2019, 07:15:06 PM »
Nearly all microphones that require 48-Volt phantom powering also have balanced outputs, while your recorder has unbalanced inputs. Thus, you need more than just a 48-Volt phantom power supply; you also need a way to unbalance the signals from your microphones. As a third (but very important) item, the 48 Volts from the supply must be blocked from reaching the inputs of your recorder.

I'll give my reasons in a moment, but I think that the best choice for someone in this situation is often a good, small preamp that has phantom powering built in. Classic examples include the Sound Devices MP-2, Beyer MV-100 and Sonosax SX-M2; other people around here have other favorites as well.

Here's the thing: Phantom powering is standardized, but output circuits for microphones are not. If I spell this all out, it will go on for several paragraphs, but the essence of the situation is that there is not, and _can never be_, a passive adapter that will work with all different types of balanced microphones to send their signals to the input of your recorder. The most commonly used passive approaches will fail to work with, and may actually damage, microphones that they weren't designed to work with. There is no standard for how to take the output of a balanced microphone and connect it to an unbalanced input. The entire world of audio standards is based on never connecting professional (balanced) and consumer (unbalanced) equipment to each other.

So if you work out a solution for the particular microphones that you have today, then when you want to try some other type of microphones, you may find that you also have to get different adapters wired up to connect your power supply to your recorder. You will not have that problem if you use an outboard preamp (as long as it has balanced inputs and unbalanced outputs, or at least a consistent way to connect its outputs to unbalanced inputs).

A battery-run phantom power supply must have a certain minimum size, mainly because of its batteries and connectors. The minimum size for a battery-run preamp with phantom powering is nearly the same--the preamp-specific components don't usually take up much room. But nearly all preamps with phantom powering have balanced inputs, so you can connect any balanced microphone to those inputs without worrying about any special details about the microphones. That, after all, is what standards are for.

--best regards
music > microphones > a recorder of some sort

Offline gormenghast

• Trade Count: (40)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2019, 08:15:20 PM »
Neumann BS48i2 is pretty small.  There was one for sale cheap for quite a while here.  I don't know if it sold.  They sold new around $1100. 

"The BS48i2 will operate up to 20 hours on a single 9-volt battery."
A lot of people run a race to see who is the fastest. I run to see who has the most guts, who can punish himself into exhausting pace, and then at the end, punish himself even more.

Online jerryfreak

• Trade Count: (27)
  • I'm a llama! (taboot)
in:
small: MK4/4V > CMR > V3 or J.Williams Mod MicMan Jr or no pre at all >AD2K/R07/PCM-A10/Oade Warm 661/DR100-MKIII

smaller: 4061/4099 CORE or 4011/4018V> d:vice MMA

out:
home:Benchmark DAC1 HDR > Dynaudio BM15A active monitors
shop: Musical Fidelity VLink 192 Asynchronyous> coax> DAC1 > Rokit RP8 active monitors

Offline Popmarter

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2019, 06:43:29 AM »
Thanks guys for all the comments, very usefull. Love this community!

I was lucky to have found a Beyer for cheap, which i hope to receive in the next few weeks. See how that works.
Currently in use:
Recorders: Edirol R44, Sony M10, Sony A10
Microphones: Milab VM-44 Links (cards), AT853 (cards) & Nakamichi CM300 (all CP-s)
Preamps: JK Laboratories DVC-X-17b, Naiant IPA & Nakamichi MX-100 modded for 9v battery use
https://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%22Popmarter%22

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.111 seconds with 51 queries.
© 2002-2019 Taperssection.com