Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Anybody know anything about the Sanken MU-2?  (Read 2149 times)

Offline IronFilm

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • Sound Recordist for Film/TV in New Zealand
    • IronFilm
Anybody know anything about the Sanken MU-2?
« on: December 19, 2019, 02:43:52 AM »
Info about it seems to be next to non-existent. But I love my other Sankens! (COS-11D / CS3e / CS1e)

Offline Niels

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Re: Anybody know anything about the Sanken MU-2?
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2019, 04:51:59 AM »
You question sparked my curiosity, and I noticed the same lack of online information that you did.

I'm afraid I don't have first hand experience with the mic so this is purely speculations. I imagine it was made for the Japanese home market, possibly exclusively for NHK (the Japanese national broadcasting company).
The official Sanken company history page mentions that they made the MU-1 as a PA mic for the 1964 Tokyo Olympics in collaboration with NHK. I found only few pictures of the MU-1, but it appears to be a 600Ω dynamic mic.
From the few available pictures of the MU-2, it also seems to be a 600Ω mic, which makes me think it is an upgrade of the MU-1 with similar intended use.

On the most popular auction site in Japan, Yahoo Actions, MU-2s seem to pop up from time to time. All are severely beat-up samples. Most with NHK engravings, some with a funny looking grille/pop filter. They appear to sell at a modest price, around 5000 JPY, which is less than 50 USD.
Given the going rate, I wouldn't expect something spectacular out of the mic.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2019, 08:32:55 AM by Niels »
Roland R-07 -> FEL Communications Clippy EM172 Omnis or pair of RØDE Lavaliers.
iPhone 14 -> Shure MV88 or Sennheiser AMBEO Smart Headset

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.052 seconds with 31 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com