Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: DIY opportunity maybe... should I be excited?  (Read 491 times)

Offline Ben Turnbull

• Don't ask me about Audacity...
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • A Clark Nova ate my lunch... Don't ask, just pee
DIY opportunity maybe... should I be excited?
« on: January 18, 2020, 12:03:22 PM »
My new work place is a temporary takeover of a county court system facility. Three court/hearing rooms are all equipped with goose neck mics. Some are Beyerdynamic SHM 215 w/5pin XLR connectors. I've been able to determine that the pickup frequency range is 50-19k so that's so-so, but SPL is high enough.

I've put in my "bid" on a few if they ever get to the place where they are going to be junked, although they've been sitting there for 2 years apparently forgotten.

I'm wondering about the utility of them once in hand. They all have a shortish flex section near the base/table top but then it's a solid tube extension of 12 to 20" to the mic element. Those are about the size of a AA battery so 007 work with them might be problematic. The five pin connector apparently permits control of the mic remotely from a central switch panel which I don't see off hand.

Anyone have any brilliant ideas? Could be fun?  Waste of time? TIA
« Last Edit: January 18, 2020, 11:59:40 PM by Ben Turnbull »
Only seeing two shows a month now... None at The Fine Line.
-My name is Ben, and I'm an AQhaulic ranting hysterically in my dotage ...
Read "Toward the End of Time" by Updike to know my name sake.
Official Archivist for Jazz Central Studios, MinniMN
DPA4021/SKM140/NakCM1k/AT4051a/ADK A51s/Countryman B3/ATes943/SPc4(och)/S'lux s502... >
TinyBox OT> PCM-M10/DR-680/R4/T+mod UA5 needs attention

Offline heathen

• Trade Count: (22)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: DIY opportunity maybe... should I be excited?
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2020, 04:23:36 PM »
Could be fun to try as a narrowly-spaced pair between those Countryman B3s spaced wide.  The lack of low end in the Beyers could be made up for with the B3s.  They might end up complimenting each other well.
Recordings on LMA: https://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%22Lucas+Lorenz%22
Mics: AT4031 | AT853 (C/SC) | Line Audio CM3 | Sennheiser e614 | Sennheiser MKE2 | DPA 4061 | CA-14 omni Pres: CA9200 | DPA d:vice Decks: Zoom F8 | Roland R-05

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.072 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2020 Taperssection.com