Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Help - Wavelab File Problems Power Loss  (Read 4638 times)

Offline SonicSound

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Help - Wavelab File Problems Power Loss
« on: September 20, 2004, 07:49:01 PM »
Just did my first 24/96 recording last night.  The first set went smooth, however during the second set they lost power.  After the power went off, my laptop was still powered (battery backup), V3 power on (battery powered), FW410 power off (powered by outlet).  As a result when I go to open the file (wavelab 4) that was recorded, a 1.40gb .wav file exists however no audio or wave info.  Is there any hope?
SD: Schoeps  M222/NT222's & CMC6's - MK 41V's, 21's, 5's, 8's
LD: Microtech Gefell UM900's, Shure KSM44's
V3, 744t

Offline caymanreview

• Trade Count: (22)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • shows ive taped  that are in circulation
Re: Help - Wavelab File Problems Power Loss
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2004, 08:40:33 PM »
have you tried opening it as a .raw file?

im not sure if this is relevent, but the issues with the auto split do that, they save the file but it seems as if there is no data there, and you just ahve to open it as a raw faile and save as .wav

Offline SonicSound

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2004, 06:36:52 AM »
have you tried opening it as a .raw file?

im not sure if this is relevent, but the issues with the auto split do that, they save the file but it seems as if there is no data there, and you just ahve to open it as a raw faile and save as .wav

I could not find a .raw file.  Any other sugestions?
V3, 744t

Offline rustoleum

• Taperssection All-Star
  • AKG 481s->MiaGi IIs->MiniMe->MTII
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2004, 08:14:21 AM »
the header information is messed up.  Although there is probably a way to have WaveLab or another program fix it, there's a cool little tool Gordon Gidluck wrote that will recreate the header information.  I have used it in similar situations with success.  I looked briefly for a link on google to it but could not find it.  It's called audiohack, or wavehack or something along those lines.  I believe the text files say it can be freely distributed so PM me if you can't find it and I can send you a copy this evening.

Offline Dr.FOB

• Taperssection Member
  • USM69i
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2004, 09:44:30 AM »
If you have SF6 it is a bit easier to open as a raw file.
Be sure and specify the sample rate and bit depth you wish to open the file as or it will sound like Alvin.
Neumann gear slut

Offline SonicSound

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2004, 08:29:22 PM »
I did a search of my files for  *.raw and *.$$$ files and no such file existed.  Should I just give up or is there still hope?
V3, 744t

Offline rustoleum

• Taperssection All-Star
  • AKG 481s->MiaGi IIs->MiniMe->MTII
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2004, 09:35:12 PM »
the header information is messed up.  Although there is probably a way to have WaveLab or another program fix it, there's a cool little tool Gordon Gidluck wrote that will recreate the header information.  I have used it in similar situations with success.  I looked briefly for a link on google to it but could not find it.  It's called audiohack, or wavehack or something along those lines.  I believe the text files say it can be freely distributed so PM me if you can't find it and I can send you a copy this evening.

Offline SonicSound

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2004, 06:39:36 PM »

Sent PM
V3, 744t

Offline the yokel

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2004, 12:51:47 PM »
I imagine you've found guidluck's tool but, here's how to fix it in sound forge or Wavelab:  The file isn't actually a RAW file, it's a WAV file with a corrupt header.   RAW means just that, raw PCM without a header.  Open sf/wavelab>open wav, change the file type @ the bottom from WAV to RAW & then choose your corrupt file.  It will then prompt you to insert the correct file attributes (ie: stereo, 24 bit, 48,000hz, little endian).  I believe the only file type that uses Big endian are Sound designer II files.  Hope this helps. 

Offline SonicSound

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2004, 01:46:13 PM »
I imagine you've found guidluck's tool but, here's how to fix it in sound forge or Wavelab:  The file isn't actually a RAW file, it's a WAV file with a corrupt header.   RAW means just that, raw PCM without a header.  Open sf/wavelab>open wav, change the file type @ the bottom from WAV to RAW & then choose your corrupt file.  It will then prompt you to insert the correct file attributes (ie: stereo, 24 bit, 48,000hz, little endian).  I believe the only file type that uses Big endian are Sound designer II files.  Hope this helps. 

Well before I read your message I was able to figure it out (Though your explanation may be better). Thanks

SOLVED! I just figured it out.  If you use the Import special Audio File (accessed from the file open icon / folder symbol) and specify in the specs bit = 24 sample rate 96,click ok, and then click the wav file in question all is well.

V3, 744t

Offline caymanreview

• Trade Count: (22)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • shows ive taped  that are in circulation
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2004, 02:51:10 PM »
glad you got it figured out!

Offline the yokel

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2004, 11:08:56 PM »
Good deal, nothing like retrieving data you thought was lost. 

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.081 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com