Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Sonosax repair/cleaning  (Read 3166 times)

Offline neumannkid

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Shows Ive taped on the archive
Sonosax repair/cleaning
« on: September 27, 2004, 02:27:03 PM »
Well Ive been having problems with my sax SX-M2 the last couple of times I used it. Every time I turn the gain up or down, while recording, you hear static in the recording. I never had this problem with it before. Although I could set the gain low on the amp I prefer to have the ability to adjust it because I like to run the sax hot, just sounds a lot better that way. ;)
Im hoping it just needs a cleaning, after all I've had it about 4 years and the first three it was used very heavily in the field.
Has anyone had this problem with their sax? Any suggestions what it might be?   
Does anyone have any idea who would be good to service this thing? Im thinking pro-digital but Im not sure they would service a sax.
Im obiously open to suggestions before I send it in.

Offline leegeddy

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: Sonosax repair/cleaning
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2004, 02:36:39 PM »
Well Ive been having problems with my sax SX-M2 the last couple of times I used it. Every time I turn the gain up or down, while recording, you hear static in the recording. I never had this problem with it before. Although I could set the gain low on the amp I prefer to have the ability to adjust it because I like to run the sax hot, just sounds a lot better that way. ;)
Im hoping it just needs a cleaning, after all I've had it about 4 years and the first three it was used very heavily in the field.
Does anyone have any idea who would be good to service this thing? Im thinking pro-digital but Im not sure they would service a sax.

you could go to RS and get a can of contact cleaner and spray the gain pots.

marc
"I'm a taper, he's a taper. Wouldn't you like to be a taper too?"
"Mics? What mics? This is my hat."

Offline twoodruff

• Trade Count: (91)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2004, 04:40:32 PM »
I would sell it to a board member, I bet I can round one up real quick
No Mics
Clamps
Cables
No Preamp
Recorders

Offline shaggy

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • dwonk
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2004, 05:59:04 PM »
Obiviously a hot commodity!

Offline silentmark

• Shine with or without cherries ?
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • Boat, cucumber, wire ...
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2004, 07:03:35 PM »

Boy this sounds real familiar, cause I have the same thing happening to me with my sax for awhile and I have been just lazy at correcting the problem....

I actually just bought some Pro Gold Contact enhancer from GC, which someone told me would work. While reading the label, it says the following, "for oxidized/corroded surfaces, pre-clean with DeoxIT Power Booster." Who knows if I need to do that or not. I hope to try this Pro Gold stuff tonight, but I am kinda beat at the moment, just pulled a 13 hour day, yowza. When I do, I'll post again and let you know what happens ...

I was also told that ProDigital can fix it, but a 75 dollar fee for spraying some juice, is a bit pricey, so stay tuned ...
Dissent is the highest form of patriotism. - Howard Zinn, not Thomas Jefferson ...

Mics: Neumann AK50/AK40/AK30/AK20(1 for M/S), AKG568eb's (gathering dust)
Decks: R-44 (OCM), Fostex FR2LE (OWM), Microtacker (semi-retired), D8 (retired), D7 (retired)
Pre-amps: Apogee Minime (semi-retired), Sonosax SX-M2 (semi-retired), Oade mod SBM-1 (retired)
Cables: LC3 actives (older lemo style x2), Audio Magic Hyper Conductor interconnects

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3qrWOOposQ

Offline neumannkid

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2004, 12:50:46 PM »
Thanks for the help.
I think Ill try cleaning it myself first  :D
As for selling it what a novel idea but I love this unit way too much to ever let it go ;)

Offline nic

• Big In Japan
  • Trade Count: (1)
    • half dead batteries
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2004, 11:00:09 AM »
CBD had a similar problem with his Sonosax a year ago or so...not sure where he sent his for repair.

the water's clean and innocent

Offline silentmark

• Shine with or without cherries ?
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • Boat, cucumber, wire ...
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2004, 08:10:05 PM »
Well I got around to my sax last night.

I did open it up was thinking of going inside to see what is happening in there, but once I opened it up, I just put the top back on, heh. I was alittle nervous about how to spray this around the pots, but I said what the hell and gave each one alittle blast. I turned the pots for abit and let it sit till tonight. Set up the rig and did some testing and well it seems to have worked. I'm going to Railroad Earth in Philly tomorrow, but I might just party abit instead and leave the taping to my bud Eric. I will be running in Teaneck on Saturday though. Regardless I didn't hear any static or anything, so give it a shot with some contact cleaner and see what happens. If you are still getting problems, just send it off to ProDigital, HTH ...
Dissent is the highest form of patriotism. - Howard Zinn, not Thomas Jefferson ...

Mics: Neumann AK50/AK40/AK30/AK20(1 for M/S), AKG568eb's (gathering dust)
Decks: R-44 (OCM), Fostex FR2LE (OWM), Microtacker (semi-retired), D8 (retired), D7 (retired)
Pre-amps: Apogee Minime (semi-retired), Sonosax SX-M2 (semi-retired), Oade mod SBM-1 (retired)
Cables: LC3 actives (older lemo style x2), Audio Magic Hyper Conductor interconnects

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3qrWOOposQ

Offline neumannkid

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2004, 02:23:48 PM »
Shot contact cleaner in it the other night, used it last night at Vinyl. Back to normal, all is good. :)

Offline OOK

• Trade Count: (17)
  • formerly OtherOneK
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2004, 04:20:13 PM »
Pro gold is good stuff...I have used it for a long time on my stereo....but beware the stuff can build up and collect dust....the dust sticks to it and can gunk up.....I tried something different after experienceing this....I used pure isopropol head cleaner...90% is just as good.....this cleans the pots and then evaporates leaving no residue like progold does....and it works just the same.........I haven't tried the deoxit formula becuase iso is so cheap.....
DPA/HEB 4060's > R09HR
MBHO648/KA100Lk/KA200/KA300/KA500 > SD702

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.053 seconds with 38 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com