Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: jb3 external power II...  (Read 73027 times)

Offline dmoog4

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Re: jb3 external power II...
« Reply #180 on: July 19, 2005, 10:32:55 PM »
I'm trying to power the JB3 with a 9V battery.  There's a lot of talk here about car adapters that will do the trick, but the ones I had on hand (from Radio Shack) would work only with 12V input.  Reading this thread, I get the idea that there are adapters that will work with 9V - but I can't figure out what models they would be.  I'd love to find something I could pick up off the shelf at Radio Shack or Wal-Mart tomorrow.

Doug

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #181 on: July 19, 2005, 11:17:56 PM »
I'm trying to power the JB3 with a 9V battery. There's a lot of talk here about car adapters that will do the trick, but the ones I had on hand (from Radio Shack) would work only with 12V input. Reading this thread, I get the idea that there are adapters that will work with 9V - but I can't figure out what models they would be. I'd love to find something I could pick up off the shelf at Radio Shack or Wal-Mart tomorrow.

Hey Doug - we met at Kent Stage a while ago .  Great to see you over here!  Check out this thread.  Dunno if you can find one locally, but worth checking around, probably.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline momule

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #182 on: July 20, 2005, 07:12:28 AM »
Hey Doug ,
welcome to the madness.  ;)

Here is one of the "walmart specials" this one has been proven to work with the Jb3 running both 12volt SLA and 9 volt Lithium batterys. (it is branded as a powerline , Model # 0900-21)
main thing to look for if your not able to find the Powerline or Sima adapters is that it provides at least 1.5 amp's.

You may be able to find this one at your local walmart . If not heres a link to one on ebay going for a little of nothing.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5790746049&category=60208&ssPageName=WDVW&rd=1

let me know if ya have any other ?'s
Nick
AKG 463's (uno ck62) > Mackie Onyx Satellite > Microtrack II

Offline dmoog4

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #183 on: August 10, 2005, 04:07:01 PM »
Hey guys thanks, nice to hear from you Brian...

I was hitting the road a lot recently, never did solve the JB3 power issue - in fact, this last weekend I had the JB3 twice shut down on me during a recording, running off only the internal battery.  Maybe it got too warm.  Maybe the second time the battery ran down... but after only 2-3 hours?  Actually it seems to me like I only ever get a couple hours from the internal battery, though Creative says it lasts 11.

Anyway, back to the subject at hand... Even if I find an adapter that converts 12vdc to 5vdc (which I can do), the question is whether it will work with 9vdc input.  My impression from reading the threads is that the two that you just mentioned (sima and walmart powerline) will do so.  But the online manual for the Sima SUP-1 (http://www.simacorp.com/documents/sup-1_user_manual.pdf) says it takes 12-15vdc input.  I can tell you that my Radio Shack car adapters will not work with 9vdc input; I checked the output with a voltmeter and there was nothing - plus the power light stayed off.  I'll assume that the Sima is different.

I'm a bit confused because Momule's ebay link suggests that any old car adapter with proper output voltage and amp rating) will work; after all, the ad doesn;t even mentioned a brand.

FWIW I was unable to find the Powerline 0900-21 on Walmart's web site.  I wonder if that means it not in the stores?  Powerline's web site lists it (http://www.powerexperts.com/products.html#ac) but doesn't halp with availability.

For now I'm sticking with DAT unless I can find AC... don't trust the JB3 internal battery even.  (I was thinking about buying another; Creative has them for $50 refurbished, which would be great if it would get me 11 hours, but it seems like a can get only a couple and not sure about even that.)

Anyway thanks guys! 

Doug

Doug

Offline fozzy

• Trade Count: (2)
  • move along, nothing much to see here
« Reply #184 on: August 10, 2005, 04:17:45 PM »
I have a Radio shack adapter taking 7.2v > 4.5V and it worked fine.  The rule of thumb is at least 2V over the desired output for standard Voltage regulators(or w/ a LDO 1V over).  I have run the JB3 multiple times for ~20 hours w/ 7.2v batteries using either a hacked Radio shack adapter or a home-brew LDO VR.

MK 4V > KCY 250/5 Ig (KS 10I)  > VST62IUg > 722

Offline momule

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #185 on: August 10, 2005, 05:26:03 PM »
Hey Doug.
I think you may have Mis Understood the Info from the creative site.

The 11 hours is playback (not recording )  you will do good to get 3 hours of recording out of 1 internal Battery They usually go for around (2 - 2.5 hours)

Your Jb3 may shutdown if it gets too hot , you have to remember there is a Hard drive in there creating Heat aswell,  so try to always keep it in the shade , if at all possible  .

I know for a fact Both the Sima(sup1 & sup2) and powerline voltage regulators will work with 9v as I own and have used both (at the same time even)
 this route with a 9v lithium Battery will get ya about 5 hours running it and a UA-5 , or about 12+ hours just running the Jb3..

Unless you stealth I would Honestly not waste your money On another Internal Battery for the Jb3 as for the $50 you can Buy 3 of the 9volt lithiums from ebay.

and to reply to your ? about the link I sent ya ,
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5790746049&category=60208&ssPageName=WDVW&rd=1
  that was the powerline version, it was to simply show ya what your looking for .

here is another one that will work for ya aswell
http://cgi.ebay.com/SIMA-SUP-2-UNIVERSAL-POWER-ADAPTER_W0QQitemZ7536753774QQcategoryZ50501QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

AKG 463's (uno ck62) > Mackie Onyx Satellite > Microtrack II

Offline mattb

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Yo.
    • Matt's Page
« Reply #186 on: August 10, 2005, 06:27:03 PM »

I know for a fact Both the Sima(sup1 & sup2) and powerline voltage regulators will work with 9v as I own and have used both (at the same time even) this route with a 9v lithium Battery will get ya about 5 hours running it and a UA-5 , or about 12+ hours just running the Jb3..

Which lithium battery is that?
AT933s (C/H/O) > AT8531s > UA-5 > H120 (Rockboxed)

Offline dgodwin

• AT4041->Tascam DR-100mkiii
« Reply #187 on: August 10, 2005, 06:37:05 PM »

I know for a fact Both the Sima(sup1 & sup2) and powerline voltage regulators will work with 9v as I own and have used both (at the same time even) this route with a 9v lithium Battery will get ya about 5 hours running it and a UA-5 , or about 12+ hours just running the Jb3..

Which lithium battery is that?

go on ebay and type  esa dvd battery   or memorex dvd battery   or initial dvd battery    You'll find a fair few..

Offline mattb

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Yo.
    • Matt's Page
« Reply #188 on: August 10, 2005, 10:44:33 PM »
Yeah, I have some 3600 mAH 9.6v batteries and was wondering which ones those run times were based on. I've never timed how long with which things connected (I have a UA-5 and JB3 too).
AT933s (C/H/O) > AT8531s > UA-5 > H120 (Rockboxed)

Offline dmoog4

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #189 on: August 10, 2005, 11:29:36 PM »
Oops, yeah thanks - I made an error on the run times.... I don't know why my Radio Shack adpaters (2 similar ones) would not power up with a 9vdc input.  Both worked fine with a 12vdc input.   (no load, just checked the output voltage with a voltmeter).

I'm hoping that I have more luck with the Sima - just ordered one.

Thanks for the help

Doug

Offline John R

• Trade Count: (2)
    • www.tapers.org
« Reply #190 on: August 13, 2005, 05:05:54 PM »
Yeah, I have some 3600 mAH 9.6v batteries and was wondering which ones those run times were based on. I've never timed how long with which things connected (I have a UA-5 and JB3 too).

matt, i ran the jb3 for at least 11 hrs using the powerrunner batt
we all live downstream.

Offline Todd R

• Over/Under on next gear purchase: 2 months
  • Trade Count: (29)
« Reply #191 on: September 21, 2005, 03:52:36 PM »
I put together a voltage regulator box to generate 5v from a Walmart-type Li-ion battery.  Done mainly to power a Microtrack, but I tested it with a JB3 and it worked great!  I haven't tested it yet, but I'm guessing it should be good for 15 hours of runtime or so.

Mics: Microtech Gefell m20/m21 (nbob/pfa actives), Line Audio CM3, Church CA-11 cards
Preamp:  none <sniff>
Recorders:  Sound Devices MixPre-6, Sony PCM-M10, Zoom H4nPro

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #192 on: September 21, 2005, 04:00:11 PM »
looks great todd!
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline seethreepo

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Resist Or Serve
« Reply #193 on: September 21, 2005, 10:09:45 PM »
http://www.bixnet.com/usbbatterybox.html

would this power a jb3? anyone use something like this ?

« Last Edit: September 21, 2005, 10:23:06 PM by seethreepo »
"Never heard anyone say that music was the thing that fucked up their day" 
-Chris Robinson 1996-09-24
Mics:Schoeps Mk4,   Beyerdynamic ck930(for sale)  ,Sound Professionals - SP-CMC-8 , Marcsounds binaurals  Pre amps: Beyerdynamic MV-1 ,  Naiant IPA  Recorders:  Edirol R-44, Edirol R-09HR, Roland  R-05

real recorder > phone
 external mics > Internal mics
 FOB > Taper Section
 HATS > better than Denied

Offline Todd R

• Over/Under on next gear purchase: 2 months
  • Trade Count: (29)
« Reply #194 on: September 22, 2005, 01:55:18 AM »
looks great todd!

Thanks Bean!  Can't wait for my Microtrack to show up so I can try my Juice Box out on that.
Mics: Microtech Gefell m20/m21 (nbob/pfa actives), Line Audio CM3, Church CA-11 cards
Preamp:  none <sniff>
Recorders:  Sound Devices MixPre-6, Sony PCM-M10, Zoom H4nPro

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.082 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com