Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: AT8531 Power Module Question  (Read 13262 times)

Offline cgrooves

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Get On the Bus -Busman Audio
AT8531 Power Module Question
« on: December 29, 2004, 09:51:37 PM »
Thinking of picking up some of the AT853's (not SP modified) with the AT8531 power module.

The specs for this power module reference a AA battery. Does this battery go into the power module? Is this AA battery required when running phantom power, or is it another way to power the mic without using a preamp or battery box setup?

(I've searched the threads, and like the option of setting up the 853's with the mini xlr's (etc.) so you can utilize a battery box or preamp, depending on the situation.)

Thanks!
AUDIO:
Open:  Busman Audio BSC1-(K1/K2/K3/K4) > Fostex FR-2LE (Busman T Mod) 

Unopen:  AudioReality Omni Mics (Panasonic capsules)> AudioReality Battery Box (depending on SPL's) > iRiver H140 w/ Rockbox

VISUAL:
Canon 7D, Canon 50mm/1.8, Canon 85mm/1.8, Tamron 17-50mm/2.8, Tamron 70-200mm/2.8

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I love/hate tickets.
Re: AT8531 Power Module Question
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2004, 09:54:51 PM »
nah, there's no battery in the power module- it just sends the right power to the mics. You are going to need some source of power for the mics- if you aren't using the SP modified ones, you'll need +48V phantom power - such as that provided by a Denecke PS-2.

HTH

Tickets are dead to me.  Except the ones I have, don't have, and lost.  Not to mention the ones you have, don't have, and lost.   And the ones that other dude has, doesn't have, and lost.  Let me know if you need some tickets, I'm happy to oblige. 

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline cgrooves

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2004, 10:04:39 PM »
Thanks for the reply.
I know there are several power modules that can be used with these mics (even the non-AT modules like the ones that SP use).....but, this particular module seemed odd because it referenced a AA battery. 
What is the purpose of the AA battery, and where does it go?

Check out the specifications:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?A=details&kw=AUAT8531&is=REG&Q=&O=productlist&sku=163116
AUDIO:

Unopen:  AudioReality Omni Mics (Panasonic capsules)> AudioReality Battery Box (depending on SPL's) > iRiver H140 w/ Rockbox

VISUAL:
Canon 7D, Canon 50mm/1.8, Canon 85mm/1.8, Tamron 17-50mm/2.8, Tamron 70-200mm/2.8

Offline cgrooves

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2004, 10:55:08 PM »
Ok. I did more research. The AA battery does go into the module. It is a 'box' style module, and not the smaller 'cylinder' style module.  This particular module comes with the AT853a's.  This setup seems to be ideal for what I'm looking for, because it appears that the 8531 module can be used as a battery box (even has roll-off switch) or in conjunction with a preamp.  The input for the module is mini xlr and the output from the box is xlr.  To use the mics without a preamp, I would use a '(2) xlr's to (1) 1/8" stereo mini cable', and bring the signals straight out of the two modules into my DAT deck.  When using a preamp, I would use 2 'xlr to xlr cables', connected from the modules to the preamp.  This option appears better than (or equal to) a battery box, because you are delivering 9v to each mic with separate power modules and have bass roll-off option.   

Does a typical battery box deliver 9v to EACH microphone?

Is my logic sound?
AUDIO:

VISUAL:

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2004, 11:04:29 PM »
Ah, sorry... your question is getting out of my realm of knowledge,unfortunately.

What I will tell you is that its commonplace within these threads that the AT853's perform at a higher level when you are using +48v phantom power, as opposed to a battery box. 

Do you plan to stealth quite a bit?
Tickets are dead to me.  Except the ones I have, don't have, and lost.  Not to mention the ones you have, don't have, and lost.   And the ones that other dude has, doesn't have, and lost.  Let me know if you need some tickets, I'm happy to oblige. 

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline poorlyconditioned

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm a tapir!
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2004, 11:07:00 PM »
Ok. I did more research. The AA battery does go into the module. It is a 'box' style module, and not the smaller 'cylinder' style module.  This particular module comes with the AT853a's.  This setup seems to be ideal for what I'm looking for, because it appears that the 8531 module can be used as a battery box (even has roll-off switch) or in conjunction with a preamp.  The input for the module is mini xlr and the output from the box is xlr.  To use the mics without a preamp, I would use a '(2) xlr's to (1) 1/8" stereo mini cable', and bring the signals straight out of the two modules into my DAT deck.  When using a preamp, I would use 2 'xlr to xlr cables', connected from the modules to the preamp.  This option appears better than (or equal to) a battery box, because you are delivering 9v to each mic with separate power modules and have bass roll-off option.   

Does a typical battery box deliver 9v to EACH microphone?

Is my logic sound?

I have never seen these modules in person, so please take this advice with caution.

But my impression is that there are two types of power adapters, one box-like thing (8531) with a battery (AA) or phantom, and a second barrel-like one (8533) that is phantom only.

OK, if you use the box-like one, you should be able to run the outputs of the mic *directly* into your minidisc.  Just make an adapter that goes from XLR to mini plug.  That should work and you will not need a battery box.  The purpose of the battery box is to provide bias power to the mic, and the AA cell in the box already does that.  I don't know the correct wiring of XLR to miniplug though.

Richard

PS: If you want to use a battery box to power the mics, you have to remove the adaptor and power the mics directly.  That is what I am doing, since I don't have any power modules.

Mics: Sennheiser MKE2002 (dummy head), Studio Projects C4, AT825 (unmodded), AT822 franken mic (x2), AT853(hc,c,sc,o), Senn. MKE2, Senn MKE40, Shure MX183/5, CA Cards, homebrew Panasonic and Transsound capsules.
Pre/ADC: Presonus Firepod & Firebox, DMIC20(x2), UA5(poorly-modded, AD8620+AD8512opamps), VX440
Recorders: Edirol R4, R09, IBM X24 laptop, NJB3(x2), HiMD(x2), MD(1).
** This individual has moved to user "illconditioned" **

Offline cgrooves

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2004, 11:22:26 PM »
Thanks.

Don't plan on stealthing too much.  I just don't have a preamp right now, so I would probably want to purchase the 853a microphones. These come with the 8531 power module referenced above, and would keep me from having to buy a battery box.  For now, I would just buy the microphones, along with a cable to merge 2 xlr's into 1 stereo mini plug. If I were planning on stealthing alot, I would rule out using both of these large power modules, and just use one battery box instead.
AUDIO:

VISUAL:

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2004, 11:25:25 PM »
Thanks.

Don't plan on stealthing too much.  I just don't have a preamp right now, so I would probably want to purchase the 853a microphones. These come with the 8531 power module referenced above, and would keep me from having to buy a battery box.  For now, I would just buy the microphones, along with a cable to merge 2 xlr's into 1 stereo mini plug. If I were planning on stealthing alot, I would rule out using both of these large power modules, and just use one battery box instead.

are you planning to get a preamp soon?  If so, that will provide your phantom power (most likely) and will sound nicer than a battery box.  You'll then want to get the AT8533 modules, I do believe.

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline poorlyconditioned

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm a tapir!
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2004, 12:17:34 AM »
Thanks.

are you planning to get a preamp soon?  If so, that will provide your phantom power (most likely) and will sound nicer than a battery box.  You'll then want to get the AT8533 modules, I do believe.

Please check the 8531.  I think it will operate on *both* battery and phantom power.  This is the most flexible.  I don't think the 8531 is that big either.  Remember the cables themselves on these things are 25', you gotta stuff that somewhere too...

Richard
Mics: Sennheiser MKE2002 (dummy head), Studio Projects C4, AT825 (unmodded), AT822 franken mic (x2), AT853(hc,c,sc,o), Senn. MKE2, Senn MKE40, Shure MX183/5, CA Cards, homebrew Panasonic and Transsound capsules.
Pre/ADC: Presonus Firepod & Firebox, DMIC20(x2), UA5(poorly-modded, AD8620+AD8512opamps), VX440
Recorders: Edirol R4, R09, IBM X24 laptop, NJB3(x2), HiMD(x2), MD(1).
** This individual has moved to user "illconditioned" **

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2004, 01:06:46 AM »
OK, I guess am misunderstanding  I thought you were talking about the connectors - my bad... but  isn't the AT8531 basically a battery box?  And, do you need 2 of them if you are running 2 mics?  If you are going to have to get 2 of them, IMO, you'd be better served to get a Denecke PS-2, and the AT8533 connectors at the end of your 853's, which will:

a) send actual +48v to the mics, which will make them perform higher level than running them with a battery box.
b) PS-2's are routinely found for around $100 used, which is comparable to the price of 2 of these boxes you are looking at (but is better cause it's +48v!).  It runs off a normal 9v battery.
c) AT8533 connectors are basically normal XLRM connectors - those will plug into the PS-2, as well as almost any other preamp, and will take phantom power.  AT853's w/ AT8533 connectors go by AT853Rx model.

Sorry if I am off base here.

~Andrew

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline leegeddy

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2004, 03:21:15 AM »
OK, I guess am misunderstanding  I thought you were talking about the connectors - my bad... but  isn't the AT8531 basically a battery box?  And, do you need 2 of them if you are running 2 mics?  If you are going to have to get 2 of them, IMO, you'd be better served to get a Denecke PS-2, and the AT8533 connectors at the end of your 853's, which will:

a) send actual +48v to the mics, which will make them perform higher level than running them with a battery box.
b) PS-2's are routinely found for around $100 used, which is comparable to the price of 2 of these boxes you are looking at (but is better cause it's +48v!).  It runs off a normal 9v battery.
c) AT8533 connectors are basically normal XLRM connectors - those will plug into the PS-2, as well as almost any other preamp, and will take phantom power.  AT853's w/ AT8533 connectors go by AT853Rx model.

~Andrew

i have a pair of AT853a and only ran the AT8531 battery box for one stealth show. never again!!! the performace of the mics w/ the 1.5v AA battery power is poor. i brickwalled heavily and never used the AT8531 ever again (with the battery).

running the AT8531 w/ phantom power from a preamp is exactly same as running AT8533/AT8533x. you simply remove the AA from the box and keep the switch on the "OFF" position.

AT8531 vs. AT8533 is another story though size wise. AT8531 is about the size of a Camel cigarrette box, which isn't too great for stealthing (you'll need one for each mic).

so my advise is go with the AT853Rx version IF you plan on running phantom power.

marc
"I'm a taper, he's a taper. Wouldn't you like to be a taper too?"
"Mics? What mics? This is my hat."

Offline cgrooves

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2004, 10:57:21 AM »
Thanks for the help folks.
You cleared up the waters for me.  ;D
AUDIO:

VISUAL:

Offline spyder9

• Trade Count: (82)
  • "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2004, 01:14:16 PM »
Ditto, on the 853RX.  Phantom is king!

Offline Idle Wind

• Wishes He Could Get Out More..
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Taperssection Member
  • YEEEWRAAAUGHHH... OOOOHHH..YEAAAHH
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2004, 03:13:37 PM »
853Rx with phantom rocks the house.

there's a cheap phantom box up in yard sale - $35 2x48V

http://www.taperssection.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=32721.0
Schoeps mk4, mk22, nbob actives
AKG 460 ck63 /ck8 nbob actives
AT853RX  - O/SC/C/H
PCM-M10 / DR-70D (N-Mod) / PMD 670 (Oade Mod) / Roland R07 / FR2-LE (Oade mod)
Platinum N-Box, Baby N-Box, SD MP-2, Naiant PFAs

Alchemy

« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2007, 11:42:23 PM »

~Andrew

i have a pair of AT853a and only ran the AT8531 battery box for one stealth show. never again!!! the performace of the mics w/ the 1.5v AA battery power is poor. i brickwalled heavily and never used the AT8531 ever again (with the battery).

running the AT8531 w/ phantom power from a preamp is exactly same as running AT8533/AT8533x. you simply remove the AA from the box and keep the switch on the "OFF" position.

AT8531 vs. AT8533 is another story though size wise. AT8531 is about the size of a Camel cigarrette box, which isn't too great for stealthing (you'll need one for each mic).

so my advise is go with the AT853Rx version IF you plan on running phantom power.

marc

Warning: This is a thread originally from 2004.

I thought the whole purpose of the AT8531 was to provide phantom power off of the 1.5 volts from the AA battery. Or is the purpose instead to adapt the mics to accept phantom power from another source, much like the AT8533?
« Last Edit: November 28, 2007, 11:58:37 PM by Alchemy »

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.094 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com