Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Sound Forge Question  (Read 2649 times)

Offline Nomad

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Sound Forge Question
« on: February 15, 2005, 05:01:06 PM »
Ok so I have some parts of my recording that the meter on forge says is clipping. Would I fix this with Normalize. Also would the volume feature make the recording louder during playback. Seems like it would but Im not sure. I have some screaming during the middle of songs and was wondering how I can quit that. I know this is a bunch to ask but if you can help with any of these it would be greatly appreciated. My 3rd time to tape was at Gregg and friends and I have a ton of people from there board asking for the tape as I was the only taper. It turned out great just  gotta figure forge out. Thanks!
Its the terror of knowing what the world is about. Wathcing some good friends screaming let me out.

Superlux CM-H8K> Wmod Ua-5> JB3

hexyjones

Re: Sound Forge Question
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2005, 05:06:34 PM »
Unless you can hear any distortion - its fine to just leave the clips...IMO...

Offline SparkE!

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2005, 05:10:59 PM »
If Soundforge says it's clipped, then the signal has already hit the rails.  There's not anything you can do to undo that.  Normalizing would have no effect.  You'd end up with exactly what you have now.

There is a tool in some editors that is called something like Clip Restoration.  In order to use it, you have to go to 32 bit floating point mode, run the clip restoration tool, then normalize.  That sometimes works.  If it's percussive sounds that caused the clipping (like snare drum), then it's probably not noticeable on playback anyway and some people would argue that it's best left alone.
How'm I supposed to read your lips when you're talkin' out your ass? - Lern Tilton

Ignorance in audio is exceeded only by our collective willingness to embrace and foster it. -  Srajan Ebaen

Offline Nomad

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2005, 05:12:53 PM »
Thanks! ;D
Its the terror of knowing what the world is about. Wathcing some good friends screaming let me out.

Superlux CM-H8K> Wmod Ua-5> JB3

Offline Joe w.

• esniper
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Turn JB Up
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2005, 04:35:06 PM »

a plugin is required to use the clip restoration feature in soundforge.

2016 National Champions
five generations with an unlocked door and a loaded burglar alarm

Offline momule

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2005, 04:51:23 PM »
my understanding is that the Clip restoration in a way is Compression.
I mean really how do you fix a clip ?

what are your levels at now ?.
 act as you were gonna Normalize and select the RMS value,  scan a piece of the track and it will tell you what the value  is. Most of my tapes have come in at around -18 to -25
I would normalize just a bit over that and allow it to add a small bit of Dynamic compression. Should clean it up at least visually 

YMMV

good luck
Nick
AKG 463's (uno ck62) > Mackie Onyx Satellite > Microtrack II

Offline ford prefect

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2005, 06:02:21 PM »
http://forums.etree.org/viewtopic.php?t=1375&highlight=transient+attacks&sid=de3820ae22905f45f2965e49dfafa86b

Not sure if that applies for something that was recorded hot, but apparently clipping from pushing the levels high in post production can be bad for playback equipment. 

Something to think about.  Personally, if there's more than a couple clips I tend to peak normalize down to -0.3 dB.  Try listening to before/after to see if you can hear a difference.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2005, 06:04:06 PM by ford prefect »

Offline Brian

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2005, 06:24:14 PM »
slight compression on the clipped segments will make playback a tad smoother.  It doesn't cure the problem......merely helps it not sound as bad.  try it out and see what happens :)

Offline OOK

• Trade Count: (17)
  • formerly OtherOneK
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2005, 09:55:53 PM »
To fix the clips you need the noise reduction plugin in........It works by rebuilding the peaks and resetting them to what ever level you want...0, -1, -2 ,-3 etc.......I wouldn't say its compression although it may work somewhat the same way........when you run a compressor you squelch the dynamics.........its makes the signal hot as hell(depending on setting) and runs it up to 0 and brick Walls it...Like I said earlier this plug in rebuilds the peak based upon the setting you use...............

Oh yeah to much clipping and you will fry you speaker tweeters......................
DPA/HEB 4060's > R09HR
MBHO648/KA100Lk/KA200/KA300/KA500 > SD702

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2005, 11:23:13 PM »
Unless you can hear any distortion - its fine to just leave the clips...IMO...

agree.  I've also had many many clips in soundforge that are not audible.

Tickets are dead to me.  Except the ones I have, don't have, and lost.  Not to mention the ones you have, don't have, and lost.   And the ones that other dude has, doesn't have, and lost.  Let me know if you need some tickets, I'm happy to oblige. 

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline Gordon

• Trade Count: (22)
    • my list
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2005, 03:11:06 PM »
well first of all do you hear any clips??  99% of the shows I transfer in soundforge while watching the metters they will read clip. I have never heard a clip at all but sf says it is b/c the levels hit 0 or just above.  however I use a v3 so the clips can't be heard anyway.  ymmv.
Microtech Gefell M20 or M21 > Nbob actives > Naiant PFA > Sound Devices MixPre-6 II @ 32/48

https://archive.org/details/fav-gordonlw

https://archive.org/details/teamdirtysouth

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.078 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com