Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: SHN or Flac conversion using a MAC  (Read 2894 times)

Offline rasta_cruz

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
SHN or Flac conversion using a MAC
« on: March 15, 2005, 01:30:01 AM »
hi, i'm sorry if this is in the wrong section. but, i figured the tapers would know this sort of thing.  i'm a taper who strictly has worked on a PC, but am trying to help out a newbie taper who has only worked on a MAC.  she has a neuros II recorder, and we've been trying to find some (hopefully free or cheap) software that will do track splitting on sector boundaries.  today we found that Sound Studio will do the splitting, but am not sure about the SBE thing.  or, is there a MAC tool like Shntool that will check and fix SBE's?  and, what should we use for SHN and Flac conversion, MD5's, FFP's, etc?  we really want to avoid running Virtual PC as we were having nothing but problems with it and CDWave.  i wish i knew a little more about MACs to figure out why.  if anyone can give me a step by step method to go from large, unsplit .wav files to shn or flac on a MAC, i'd really appreciate it.  i've been having a hard time finding the answers to all this stuff. 

blessings,
rasta

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: SHN or Flac conversion using a MAC
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2005, 01:39:25 AM »
Plenty of Mac FLAC apps out there, a handful listed here:

http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=18284.0
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline greenone

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Russian mics... strong like bull...
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2005, 10:29:55 AM »
Sound Studio is super-easy for track splitting; for everything else, use xACT, but not on the link Brian gave - use the latest build from xact.fellowtraveler.org. Step-by-step after installing xACT and splitting the tracks:

- Click on the "fix SBE" tab and drop the files there.
- Choose FLAC and the compression level you want, click "Fix" and choose an output directory.
- Go make yourself a sandwich, have a beer...especially on level 8. 8)
- Once your FLACs are done, batch rename 'em by dropping them on the "util" tab, hitting "Execute" and choosing a prefix (it'll put a two-digit number at the end of whatever you give it, so if you put in bandYYYY-MM-DDd1t, it'll give you bandYYYY-MM-DDd1t01.flac, bandYYYY-MM-DDd1t02.flac and so on).
- Click the "checksum" tab, drop your FLACs there, click the "Checksum" button and choose "Fingerprint".

Abracadabra alakazam, you've got yourself some fresh new fingerprinted FLACs that are free from sector boundary errors. :)

--Dave
Unofficial Blues Traveler archivist - glad to work on any BT or related recordings
archive.org admin - happy to upload tracked material to the LMA

Offline rasta_cruz

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2005, 10:55:37 AM »
Sound Studio is super-easy for track splitting; for everything else, use xACT, but not on the link Brian gave - use the latest build from xact.fellowtraveler.org. Step-by-step after installing xACT and splitting the tracks:

- Click on the "fix SBE" tab and drop the files there.
- Choose FLAC and the compression level you want, click "Fix" and choose an output directory.
- Go make yourself a sandwich, have a beer...especially on level 8. 8)
- Once your FLACs are done, batch rename 'em by dropping them on the "util" tab, hitting "Execute" and choosing a prefix (it'll put a two-digit number at the end of whatever you give it, so if you put in bandYYYY-MM-DDd1t, it'll give you bandYYYY-MM-DDd1t01.flac, bandYYYY-MM-DDd1t02.flac and so on).
- Click the "checksum" tab, drop your FLACs there, click the "Checksum" button and choose "Fingerprint".

Abracadabra alakazam, you've got yourself some fresh new fingerprinted FLACs that are free from sector boundary errors. :)

--Dave

thanks brian and dave... that's some very helpful info right there.  xACTly what i was looking for ;)

rasta

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2005, 10:57:26 AM »
for everything else, use xACT, but not on the link Brian gave - use the latest build from xact.fellowtraveler.org.

Thanks for the update, added it to the xACT reference I posted earlier.  FWIW, as far as I can tell, the above link hosts the same version as the previous one I referenced, 1.4b24.  Good to have both up there, especially since it looks like the one you reference will be the new "home" for xACT.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline greenone

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Russian mics... strong like bull...
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2005, 10:13:38 PM »
My bad Brian...I thought versiontracker still had 1.2 or 1.3. :)
Unofficial Blues Traveler archivist - glad to work on any BT or related recordings
archive.org admin - happy to upload tracked material to the LMA

Offline John Kelly

• Been a while...
  • Trade Count: (1)
    • The Jokell
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2005, 09:38:08 AM »
My bad Brian...I thought versiontracker still had 1.2 or 1.3. :)

It's Etree that has the really old version.
Sennheiser MKH8040st > SD 702
XBL/PSN/Steam ID: thejokell

Offline Krispy D

• my recordings on LMA
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2005, 10:30:50 AM »
etrees version is older than methusela.  I just ditched it for the version on version tracker...MUCH better.

Peluso CEMC6, ck4/ck21
Oktava MC012
Sony ECM260f
AT 811

canare star quads
DIY mil spec silvers

DIY (W-ish) mod UA5>JB3
Oade ACM PMD 660
R4

You cannot strengthen the weak by weakening the strong. You cannot help the wage-earner by pulling down the wage-payer. You cannot help the poor by destroying the rich. You cannot help men permanently by doing for them what they could and should do for themselves.
~Rev. William J. H. Boetcker (not Lincoln)

Offline scb

• Eli Manning should die of gonorrhea and rot in hell. Would you like a cookie, son?
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2005, 10:36:28 AM »
and they won't remove or update the etree link for me either.  so annoying...but i was told that the etree site is basically dead and won't be updated

Offline John Kelly

• Been a while...
    • The Jokell
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2005, 11:04:48 AM »
and they won't remove or update the etree link for me either.  so annoying...but i was told that the etree site is basically dead and won't be updated

How hard is it for them to change a freaking link?  What a bunch of jerks over there...

Offline scb

• Eli Manning should die of gonorrhea and rot in hell. Would you like a cookie, son?
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2005, 11:26:44 AM »
i don't think it has to do with them being jerks...i was told the wiki site is alive and the etree.org site is dead.  there's just no updates at all going on with that site

Offline John Kelly

• Been a while...
    • The Jokell
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2005, 11:39:47 AM »
i don't think it has to do with them being jerks...i was told the wiki site is alive and the etree.org site is dead.  there's just no updates at all going on with that site

Well then they should take it down.  If not a simple URL change shouldn't be out of the question IMO. 

And yeah, maybe they're not jerks.  They're just lazy. ;)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.144 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com