Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: SIMA "Jb3 AC/DC adapter"  (Read 16551 times)

Offline momule

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Needs to get out more...
SIMA "Jb3 AC/DC adapter"
« on: March 17, 2005, 10:44:11 PM »
This one will Both charge the Internal batts (as it has a Plug that goes .
(Wall plug>Converter box)
 and it has a Cigg adater(that can plug into the converter box ) to use with Festival Battery Rig.
 (see this post ) http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=36314.msg482271#msg482271

It is straight out of the Box ready to go. it has a 3 prong "adapta" plug so it only plugs in Tip (+) which is what ya need for the Jb3. It's almost fool proof  ;)

I found it via Ebay for about $14 shipped.
It appears others are not having a prob finding it or its " Big brother"  the SIMA 2 which works aswell

Just thought I would pass the info along..

Heres a pic .

edit:::  heres a another pic of it that shows both adapters..
http://www.markertek.com/Product.asp?baseItem=SUP%2D1&cat=POWER&subcat=&prodClass=ACPOWER&mfg=Sima&search=0&off=

« Last Edit: May 15, 2005, 01:40:25 AM by Momule »
AKG 463's (uno ck62) > Mackie Onyx Satellite > Microtrack II

Offline Scooter

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: New Jb3 AC/DC adapter
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2005, 08:40:10 PM »
good find!  I use the walmart one, works like a champ ;)
MBHO 603a(ka200n/ka500hn) >
R-44, or H120

LMA Recordings

Offline momule

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2005, 10:26:50 AM »
ya I use the walmart one for the First Jb3 (40gb) I bought a year ago. . then I bought a used 20Gb off ebay about 6 months ago to run as back up.
 It came with everything (i thought) but after opening it up it was missing the cord that goes from the wall>regulator box) . then I seen Creative put up some more Jb3 a few months ago and was about 6 beers into a Sat afternoon when I decided to purchase another 40gb from them aswell  ::).
 I thought about selling the 20gb one back on ebay but I think im just gonna hang onto it till later this summer when Im planning on trying the Ipaq setup

When I Went to wallyworld to pick up another regulator box and they were out of stock. So after a few minutes browsing Ebay I found this. tested it last weekend and it was "out of the box" able to charge the Jb3 using the Ac adaptor and able to charge/power the Jb3 in the car (or off SLA) using the dc adaptor.
And the adapta plug is a bit more user friendly as it is a 3 prong fitting and only fits one way so its a bit safer in the dark .
as long as your switch is selecting 5v your ready to roll..

just thought if others were unable to find the wallyworld speacial this is another one that DOES work.. I have used it twice in the field so far.

Offline Brendan

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2005, 11:03:47 PM »
wait do you absolutely need this box if your recording with a Jb3?

Offline timP

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2005, 08:00:12 AM »
^^^
no, this allows you to run the JB3 of an exterior battery..
they JB3 can be picky about its voltage intake so a box that converts the voltage easily like this seems to is good

this box will be good in an extended recording session like festivals where the internal JB3 batts wouldn't last
?>FR2LE

Offline momule

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2005, 01:56:06 PM »
this allows you to Both charge the batts at your house (if ya dont have the original creative home charger)
Or this will allow you to run/Charge the Jb3 from an external Battery such as a SLA or 9.6volt RC battery.

and the best part of it is its ready to use straight out of the box, No guess work on selecting the polarity of the Jb3..

I only have one battery in one of my Jb3s so I and to come up with an external battery pack for most shows I tape. .
I found this route was much cheaper than Buying a new internal battery for the Jb3 which runs anywhere from $30-$50 , The adapter only runs about $15 ..

Offline wbaldwin

• Taperssection Member
  • giddyup!
    • My Trading List
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2005, 07:05:17 PM »
+T for the cheap find Momule!

Been putting off working on the external soultion for the 'ol JB3's for a while, and per you suggestion I found this one on e-bay as well, $15 shipped....

Great deal compared to buying something local!

Offline momule

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2005, 09:29:34 AM »

here is a link ot the "wally world" version for sale on Ebay.
(this one will only do DC voltage conversion)
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=60208&item=5760962812&rd=1#ebayphotohosting

here's the newest one I found.   It ends very shortly.
(It will do both AC/DC votage conversion)
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=50501&item=7501017071&rd=1

Offline Diamond_D

• Taperssection Member
  • Who's not honoring me now?
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2005, 11:06:03 AM »
ok, new to all this powering stuff so bear with me, but you would use this in the field by plugging the DC (cigarette) adapter into the rat shack adapter attached to an SLA with those quick disconnects, then this converts it to the right voltage? Just trying to put it all together in my head... thanks
« Last Edit: March 22, 2005, 11:10:00 AM by Diamond_D »
SP-C4's > Canare Star Quads > UA5 (bm2p+) > H120

"Drums, Guitars, and Death. They finally got it right."
        Beavis & Butthead

Offline wbaldwin

• Taperssection Member
  • giddyup!
    • My Trading List
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2005, 11:26:30 AM »
Yep, you've got it....

You can also set it up to run off fo RC 9.6 or 7.2 volt batteries, which are bit less bulky than SLA, but I guess it all depends on how much juice you want.

Either way, its a nice, simple solution....

Offline Scooter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2005, 11:27:15 AM »
correct.  It will convert whatever voltage (up to 12v) that you input to it, to whatever voltage you select for output.  So yes your example would work.  SLA>The adapter mentioned above(stepped down voltage)>JB3 or whatever.  You could also use the Walmart 9v batt instead of the SLA as well.
R-44, or H120

LMA Recordings

Offline momule

« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2005, 11:42:52 AM »
ok, new to all this powering stuff so bear with me, but you would use this in the field by plugging the DC (cigarette) adapter into the rat shack adapter attached to an SLA with those quick disconnects, then this converts it to the right voltage? Just trying to put it all together in my head... thanks

No sweat Diamond D , I was a newbie Not too long ago Myself.
 Thats why I wanted to give some other options/pictures to folks that can not find a Walmart version. this New one (the Sima) is also a replacement for your home Jb3 voltage adapter.

thats how I run my Jb3's (12v SLA>Adapter>Jb3)
 Im not 100% sure.  But  you should be able to use a Smaller voltage Battery aswell such as a 9.6 volt RC car battery.
 And you dont really have to use the Cigarette adapter , as you could just hack off the cigg adapter and wire it straight to the SLA . But without a Multimeter this could be risky . ANd I like being able to charge the Jb3 in the car.

I would also suggest trying to glue or tape the Voltage switch at 5v so that it does not move on ya while traveling in your bag..

And although The archive suggests not running your Internals while running the adapter , I think thats kinda risky, as if your SLA runs out of juice you loose your recording.  >:(
I have ran my SLA batts out of juice and the Jb3 just thinks its being unplugged from the wall or Cigg adapter and switches to the internal battery allowing you to save your recording.
 SO i would highly suggest running at least one internal batt in the Jb3 as this will allow you 2 hours Extra recording time and safe time to shut the Jb3 down.. Just always remember to charge your Internal Batts before the show , or you can charge them in the car on the way to the show or in between sets at a festival .. Otherwise if the internal Jb3 batts are not charged it will try to charge it, Draining your SLA much quicker..

Offline Scooter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2005, 01:49:55 PM »

Im not 100% sure.  But  you should be able to use a Smaller voltage Battery aswell such as a 9.6 volt RC car battery.

You are correct sir!  I've run mine all the way from 6v to 12v on the input, works fine.
R-44, or H120

LMA Recordings

Offline Burnt

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2005, 08:37:45 AM »
Just wondering since I can't seem to find any info.  What is the difference between the SUP-1 and the SUP-2?  They both look identical and was wondering if both will work with the JB3 or just the SUP-1.
AKG C4000 > P-mod UA-5 > NJB3 (48KHz) > SVU-2
DPA 4061 (x1, hat mounted) > MPS 6010 > P-mod UA-5 >  NJB3 (48KHz)

Looking for another 4061 or even a pair of 406x mics to replace my single.  Please help me stealth in stereo.

Offline momule

« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2005, 02:35:31 PM »
Im not sure ,
 I do find by a quick google that they both provide the correct volatge(5 volt) And I know the SUP-1 provides 1.9Amp ..
Im not sure about the SUP-2. I cant find a Amp spec's for it.. other than it does provide 5 volt's

Sorry I cant be of more help ..
nick

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.079 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com