Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: SP-CMC-4 vs. SP-CMC-2A  (Read 2321 times)

Offline kuba

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • king of snake
SP-CMC-4 vs. SP-CMC-2A
« on: March 26, 2005, 09:26:39 AM »
I'm still planning, deciding, thinking and saving  ::)

My current plan is: Hi-MD + DIY batt. box + SP mics

I have quite limited budget. If I hadn't I would obviously take the CMC-4s or 8s.

My question is, how big/audible is the difference between these two? CMC-4 have AT853 caps, which are told to be quite good for the money. CMC-2A have some kind of SP caps very similar to AT831, right?

I'm gonna wade through archive.org and listen to some samples. Nevertheless, any info considering the difference between these to is very appreciated.

Thanks
AT831 > bb > iRiver H120

Offline poorlyconditioned

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm a tapir!
Re: SP-CMC-4 vs. SP-CMC-2A
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2005, 01:22:29 AM »
I'm still planning, deciding, thinking and saving  ::)

My current plan is: Hi-MD + DIY batt. box + SP mics

I have quite limited budget. If I hadn't I would obviously take the CMC-4s or 8s.

My question is, how big/audible is the difference between these two? CMC-4 have AT853 caps, which are told to be quite good for the money. CMC-2A have some kind of SP caps very similar to AT831, right?

I'm gonna wade through archive.org and listen to some samples. Nevertheless, any info considering the difference between these to is very appreciated.

Thanks

I've got both AT831 and AT853.  The 853s sound much better.  Both are nice and clear, but the 853s have a much more solid sound, esp in the low end.  It is not only the strength of low end.  I just seems more 'full' or 'complete'.  Sorry I can't describe it better, but I can sure tell the difference.

I should comment that the removeable caps are a huge plus for the 853.  I don't have much occasion to use the omni, but the hypers are *very* nice IMO.  I never thought about it, but once I started using them, I don't think I'll go back to cards again, at least for indoor venues.  So everyone out there, try the hypers!

I have not tried the CMC-2A's.  These are similar, but not the same as the AT831.  There was another post here, and those samples sounded great.  Maybe even better than the 831s.  I'm really curious what is inside those.  Probably some Chinese company, but I'd love to know who.

Anyway, get the 853s.   You won't regret it!

Richard

PS: Please be aware the AT853 as wired by SP may clip at loud shows.  Several of use are using either phantom power adapters (eg., leegeddy) or modified 3-wire battery boxes (me).
Mics: Sennheiser MKE2002 (dummy head), Studio Projects C4, AT825 (unmodded), AT822 franken mic (x2), AT853(hc,c,sc,o), Senn. MKE2, Senn MKE40, Shure MX183/5, CA Cards, homebrew Panasonic and Transsound capsules.
Pre/ADC: Presonus Firepod & Firebox, DMIC20(x2), UA5(poorly-modded, AD8620+AD8512opamps), VX440
Recorders: Edirol R4, R09, IBM X24 laptop, NJB3(x2), HiMD(x2), MD(1).
** This individual has moved to user "illconditioned" **

Offline Evil Taper

• Needs to get out more...
  • Going pro...no time for taping now
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2005, 01:52:29 AM »
I went with the cmc-4 over the cmc-8 even because the recordings i'd heard on them also seemed to be richer than the cmc-8 tapes.  I've taken my cmc-4s to a couple very loud metal shows and the results are great, also taped a local punk band in a small venue and it sounds amazing.  I've heard that the larger mic bodies are whet get the results, not sure about that though.  I'm pleased so far and only running the standard sound pros power option (spsb-7).  I did have a bit of bass distortion taping closer than I'd like to have been for some openers so beware.  Also if you're a stealther beware of the size of the mics, some feel they are too big for stealthing..BULLSHIT.
Really not very evil at all now...

Offline kuba

• Taperssection Regular
  • king of snake
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2005, 08:52:34 AM »
Thank you.

I think I'll go with the 853s.

What does the modified 3 wire battery box looks like? Does it do a better job than "regular" batt box? The product file says 121dB max SPL and 94dB dynamic range with battery box, which seems quite enough to me... Well, I'm gonna deal with this when I get them, so there's plenty of time.  ;D

I'll be stealthing mostly, the size looks very friendly.
AT831 > bb > iRiver H120

Offline Evil Taper

• Needs to get out more...
  • Going pro...no time for taping now
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2005, 09:15:31 PM »
Tape FOB with these mics at loud shows, under INTENSE bass pressure they may slightly distort, so beware.  At smaller shows try to triangulate yourself to the monitors.  I can post some pics of what my rig looks like if you'd like.
Really not very evil at all now...

Offline merry77

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2005, 04:33:10 PM »
Hi,

Just new here. I taped a lot of shows with the SP's At853 sub-cardioids (using the standard battery box with no bells or whistles). And recently began experiencing bass distortion (currently I solve this by standing away further. but one time the sound was too low and it sounded too far off).

So definitely wondering how your schematic for the battery box looks like. I certainly believe that can be improved on the standard battery box.

TIA
AT853 sub-cardioid taper

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.052 seconds with 34 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com