Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Help: I want to upgrade my SP-CMC-2 (AT 829s)  (Read 2209 times)

Offline HighVoltage

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
    • All The Way Live
Help: I want to upgrade my SP-CMC-2 (AT 829s)
« on: April 22, 2005, 06:17:08 PM »
Im on my first pair of mics: SP-CMC-2, which are AT 829s.  I've been using those with a bass roll-off battery module.

Overall im pleased with the sound quality, but my only complaint is that the sound is a little bit "dull", "flat" or "tinny".

I want a more "full" sound from my recordings.... I was thinking of upgrading to a pair of cmc-4's (AT 853s).

Is this a worthwhile investment.... or in other words... is there enough quality difference to warrant the purchase?

Any help or other mic recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
www.itsallthewaylive.net

SP CMC8's > SP-SPSB1 > Archos AV500 or Tascam DR-2D
ISI-HMB1 (AT943's) > battery box > Archos AV500 or Tascam DR-2D

Offline poorlyconditioned

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm a tapir!
Re: Help: I want to upgrade my SP-CMC-2 (AT 829s)
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2005, 09:50:28 PM »
Im on my first pair of mics: SP-CMC-2, which are AT 829s.  I've been using those with a bass roll-off battery module.

Overall im pleased with the sound quality, but my only complaint is that the sound is a little bit "dull", "flat" or "tinny".

I want a more "full" sound from my recordings.... I was thinking of upgrading to a pair of cmc-4's (AT 853s).

Is this a worthwhile investment.... or in other words... is there enough quality difference to warrant the purchase?

Any help or other mic recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Hi.  SP CMC-2 are AT831.  AT829 is the same shape, but much cheaper quality.  It is the default wireless lav mic from AT.

Anyway, AT853 are much better than AT831.  I've tried both.  Also, the swappable caps on the AT853 give more flexibility.  You should get them powered properly though.  Phantom power (AT853RX @ 150$ each) is probably your best bet.  You can also get SP miniplug version and run them in 3-wire mode, but that will require a custom made battery box.  I'm doing the later.

Richard
Mics: Sennheiser MKE2002 (dummy head), Studio Projects C4, AT825 (unmodded), AT822 franken mic (x2), AT853(hc,c,sc,o), Senn. MKE2, Senn MKE40, Shure MX183/5, CA Cards, homebrew Panasonic and Transsound capsules.
Pre/ADC: Presonus Firepod & Firebox, DMIC20(x2), UA5(poorly-modded, AD8620+AD8512opamps), VX440
Recorders: Edirol R4, R09, IBM X24 laptop, NJB3(x2), HiMD(x2), MD(1).
** This individual has moved to user "illconditioned" **

Offline HighVoltage

• Taperssection Regular
    • All The Way Live
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2005, 12:21:38 PM »
« Last Edit: April 23, 2005, 01:09:53 PM by HighVoltage »
www.itsallthewaylive.net

Offline poorlyconditioned

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm a tapir!
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2005, 12:26:11 AM »
So if I go with the CMC-4's (http://www.soundprofessionals.com/cgi-bin/gold/category.cgi?item=SP-CMC-4&type=store)

and go for the third adapter kit option (http://www.soundprofessionals.com/mas_assets/full/SP-PHANTOM.jpg)...

do i need to buy a phantom power supply as well (like this http://www.soundprofessionals.com/mas_assets/full/DEN-PS2-MINI.jpg)?

Yes, that is certainly one way to go.  Before buying this, check the price of qty 2 AT853Rx.  Those are $150 each?  How much is the phantom option?  The other thing is to buy a miniplug version now and send it back for a phantom mod later.

What kind of recorder have you got?
What kind of music are you recording?  If it is heavy rock/metal or whatever, you'll probably overload.

Check out the other threads.  Try a search on "at853" and "phantom".  That should get some hits.

Richard
Mics: Sennheiser MKE2002 (dummy head), Studio Projects C4, AT825 (unmodded), AT822 franken mic (x2), AT853(hc,c,sc,o), Senn. MKE2, Senn MKE40, Shure MX183/5, CA Cards, homebrew Panasonic and Transsound capsules.
Pre/ADC: Presonus Firepod & Firebox, DMIC20(x2), UA5(poorly-modded, AD8620+AD8512opamps), VX440
Recorders: Edirol R4, R09, IBM X24 laptop, NJB3(x2), HiMD(x2), MD(1).
** This individual has moved to user "illconditioned" **

Offline HighVoltage

• Taperssection Regular
    • All The Way Live
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2005, 12:21:51 PM »

Yes, that is certainly one way to go.  Before buying this, check the price of qty 2 AT853Rx.  Those are $150 each?  How much is the phantom option?  The other thing is to buy a miniplug version now and send it back for a phantom mod later.

What kind of recorder have you got?
What kind of music are you recording?  If it is heavy rock/metal or whatever, you'll probably overload.

Check out the other threads.  Try a search on "at853" and "phantom".  That should get some hits.

Richard

well, all together those 3 things from sound professionals come to $550 (mics = $200, phantom adapter kit = $100, phantom power supply = $250)... which is more than i want to spend.  I am shocked that the power supply is more expensive than the mics.  Is there anywhere on the net I can get one for cheaper or used?

Im using my iRiver to record and its mainly rock music and live hip hop bands (such as The Roots).  Loud music for sure.
www.itsallthewaylive.net

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.089 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com